Imalent
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: best 18650 battery and charger

Banned

Default best 18650 battery and charger

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    would the cheaper Ultrafire WF-188 charger be okay, or is it still better to spend more for the Pila? $23 vs. $47
    i paid $16 for the WF-188 charger from some Hongkong site and am very happy with it. it was tested here:
    http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%2...-188%20UK.html

and also discussed on CPF somewhere. Cant report any problems with it!!

Flashaholic

Default Re: What is currently the best 18650 and charger setup?

How does the new jet beam i4 intellicharger rank?

http://www.jet-beam.com/links/accessories/i4.aspx

Flashaholic*

Hello.

I will do the search for you if you didnt have time for it:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...searchid=83972

Flashaholic

Your link goes to a search with 0 entries found.

I did search jet beam i4 intellicharger & nothing relevant pops up & I'm not gonna spend all day reading every battery thread when I get the results.

Flashaholic*
    Last edited by Anders; 01-01-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DisrupTer911 View Post
    How does the new jet beam i4 intellicharger rank?

http://www.jet-beam.com/links/accessories/i4.aspx
    That charger should not be on a list of best of anything, to give you the short answer

I was using the Pila with Eagletac cells. Then one day, after a very short while of charging, the charger had a serious melt down. I was told by a certain company to return the charger to them. After they got it, they told me I needed to have proof that I was using Pila batteries in it at the time it went kaboom.

Then, when I asked if I was just out of luck, they ceased speaking with me period. I was never rude, cussing, etc. Bad service from the importer, bad luck with the charger, bad information from the seller. Not sure a Pila will be the replacement for my Pila as much as I liked it when it was working properly.

I don't know Bird. I had a friend that bought a new BMW 328i. He ended up having so many problems with it he had to "return" it, I believe under the "Lemon Law". That doesn't mean that BMW's are not good cars.

I'm not saying that the Pila charger is anywhere near the quality of a BMW, in fact, I'm sure it's not. It's just a good Chinese charger, compared to most of the rest of them anyway, and has for the most part an excellent reputation here on CPF.

There can be problems with any device. I've never owned a Pila, or a BMW, for that matter. From what I know from other's experiences though, I think both are quality products. I might very well own either of them in the future, however my "foreign" cars, have always been British.

Dave

Silver Moderator

Hello BirdofPrey,

Pila customer "non-" service has always been an issue. It is fortunate that their charger has enough quality that problems with them are not common. Their seemingly combative stance on customer service and their premium price stand as offsets to their quality product.

Still, if my Pila charger ever dies, I would pick up another. Quality components and attention to detail translate to a safety margin when charging Li-Ion cells. That margin of safety gives me peace of mind when my wife goes to charge a cell.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Default best 18650 battery and charger

The best 18650 battery that I know about is the AW 18650 LiCo battery of 3100 mAh capacity. You can buy it at Lighthound. One of them will keep a Romisen RC-T601 flashlight on the medium setting (initially ~650 lumens output) burning for about four hours, as the voltage goes from 4.23V to 2.73V.

I've found most Ultrafire batteries to be inferior, and some of them are generic cells of very low capacity (about half what is claimed on the false label), repackaged by dishonest Chinese merchants. However, I have found a spectacular exception to the rule.

One of my probably "fake" Ultrafire 18650 batteries, allegedly only 3000 mAh, has proved itself capable of keeping my Romisen RC-T601 flashlight going on the medium setting for 6h 30m, which suggests its capacity might be somewhere around 4500 to 5000 mAh. I'd had no idea that kind of performance was even possible, and I don't even know whether the Chinese manufacturer even knows how to replicate this level of quality. I've never had another 18650 battery that comes close to this kind of capacity.
    Last edited by Norm; 12-03-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Default Re: best 18650 battery and charger

If i was buying protected 18650s right now i would be going with either AW 3100s or Callie's Kustoms 3100s and charging them on a Pila IBC. I already have a pila ibc and have already in the past bought a couple of AW 2900s, so i won't be upgrading until these cells stop working.
    My Lights -- Olight S20 Baton XM-L 470 Lumens
    Olight M20 Warrior 2010 320 Lumens
    Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4W 120 Lumen 3C,
    Fenix E-15

Flashaholic

RediLast 3100 cells were the ones I settled on for my power needs and the Pila IBC charger.

Not an expert, my 18650 ranging from Hi-Max 2600mAh, AW's 2900mAh & UN-protected Panasonic 3100mAh, charged up with Xtar WP2 II or WP6 II charger
    My list of flashlights, chargers & batteries

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I have one flashlight which uses a 18650 battery, most of the rest are CR123A and normal alkalines (AA, AAA, C, D, etc). But I don't have a charger. I don't want to spend $50 on a charger for one battery (and I don't see myself getting more lights which use this battery). Can anyone recommend a decent charger that I can use? I don't mind putting it outside or on a non-flammable surface, if that is a problem. How long do these chargers usually take to charge an average-capacity battery?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by photon1c View Post
    Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I have one flashlight which uses a 18650 battery, most of the rest are CR123A and normal alkalines (AA, AAA, C, D, etc). But I don't have a charger. I don't want to spend $50 on a charger for one battery (and I don't see myself getting more lights which use this battery). Can anyone recommend a decent charger that I can use? I don't mind putting it outside or on a non-flammable surface, if that is a problem. How long do these chargers usually take to charge an average-capacity battery?

Thanks
    Get a ML-102 from intl-outdoor, it is a cheap and good USB charger (i.e. you must supply a USB power supply). It uses about 5 hours to fully charge a 2600mAh battery.
    Next step up is a Xtar WP2 II or maybe a Nitecore i4 V2 (This charger can also charge NiMH).
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

The current white wrapper EagleTac 3100mAh. are the best I have ever used and they fit all my 'lights!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
    Erm no, unless he needs NiMH support, that's a bad choice. Xtar's both WP2 II and SP2 are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowww View Post
    Erm no, unless he needs NiMH support, that's a bad choice. Xtar's both WP2 II and SP2 are much better.

I've had an I4 for months, and I've recharged countless NiMh and LiIon batts with it with zero problems. HKJ just recommended it as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
    I've had an I4 for months, and I've recharged countless NiMh and LiIon batts with it with zero problems. HKJ just recommended it as well.
    Just because you had zero problems with it doesn't means it's best (& best value) for his needs.

I ended up remembering that I had a charger that came with a laser I bought... duh me.

Thanks for the info though. If I get more devices that use these batteries I will look at those Xtar chargers more closely. PS When I googled those chargers, all the hits seemed to be about e-cigarettes? I guess they use similar batteries.
    Last edited by photon1c; 09-07-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowww View Post
    What makes these better than the i4?

New XTAR chargers with voltage display coming in next 2-3 month

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXBILL View Post
    What makes these better than the i4?
    WP2 II: better (and more appropriate) current options, USB output support.
    SP2: perfect CC/CV, again, better and more appropriate current options.

Also cheaper (right?)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by photon1c View Post
    Also cheaper (right?)
    The WP2 II - yes.

Consider the 4sevens charger, version 3, I believe. I've been using it since its release with zero issues, 14500's, 16340's and 18650's all come off at 4.16v and settle at 4.15v. Never gets warm, two charge rates and good construction. I own less than ten li-ion cells so the single bay doesn't hamper me at all. Backed by 4sevens c/s if you have an issue.
    I'm looking to expand and may just buy another, but I am intrigued by some of the newcomers. I wonder if you may see a price drop on the Pila if enough cc/cv chargers prove worthy?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Up All Night View Post
    Consider the 4sevens charger, version 3, I believe. I've been using it since its release with zero issues, 14500's, 16340's and 18650's all come off at 4.16v and settle at 4.15v. Never gets warm, two charge rates and good construction. I own less than ten li-ion cells so the single bay doesn't hamper me at all. Backed by 4sevens c/s if you have an issue.
    I'm looking to expand and may just buy another, but I am intrigued by some of the newcomers. I wonder if you may see a price drop on the Pila if enough cc/cv chargers prove worthy?
    Why not just make up a couple of chargers with the cheap charger boards ... You can get four boards for about £5 including postage ... These are genuine CC/CV charger boards ... Solder a couple of leads on and put croc clips on the other end of the leads ... Clip the croc clips onto 6mm or 8mm diameter X 8mm long magnets ... Apply the magnets (correctly) with the leads clipped on , to the Li Ion 18650 battery making sure the polarity is correct ... You will need a USB male to mini-USB male lead , mine are very short ones about 12" ... Plug the USB lead into the USB power supply unit and the other mini-USB end of the cable into the charger board ... Switch on the USB PSU , and that's it ... There are only two soldered joints to make ... This is for 18650's only as it charges at one amp , assuming that the PSU will provide one amp ... Wait till the LED changes colour and it's done.

Some boards (like my 4) are Blue for charging and Red for charge complete , others are the other way round ... I am very pleased with my four cheap chargers and they work superbly and are so easy to make (and store) ... I started off using one amp USB PSU's that plug into the mains sockets and they worked perfectly ... Had to use one for each charger board.

I have now made a five volt four amp PSU fitted with four USB sockets , though I only usually charge two batteries at a time ... I was very sceptical about how these (dirt-cheap) charger boards would work , but am delighted with them ... When the LED's change colour , the charging current virtually stops (just a few milliamps) ... If you leave the battery on charge for a while after the LED's change colour , the battery voltage drops a few millivolts proving that the charging current has virtually stopped.

If you want to charge at a lower current than one amp for other batteries , then you will have to change a resistor ... I have not bothered with this as I only use these for Li-Ions of over 2400mAh and even these batteries are being replaced by Panasonic 3100mAh cells ... So no problem.

Get a charger from cottonpicker at CPFMP.

I am using the charger from larryDFW and it seems like it is pretty good for a cheap one but this is my first time working with 18650 cell's. Since my cells are unprotected I typically charge them once every 5 days the cells are down to 3volts or so. Take two to three hrs and they are back up to 4.17-4.2 range. Typically when I pull them straight off the charger they are 4.2 and then seem to hang around 4.17 but mind you it could be my meter since it is analog my readings my be a tad off. But when I go to work I tend to test them with our digital meters to verify.