Armytek Barracuda - initially developed as a hunting and Special Forces flashlight, but perfectly suitable for any indoor or outdoor activity due to its size, ruggedness and design specifications. It is the only flashlight of the newest generation, possessing new optical components and advanced electronic capabilities.
The differences between Armytek Barracuda and other search and rescue flashlights:
1. Impressive optics - excellent thrower with distance more than 500 meters.
2. Powerful and constant brightness. Light output of Cree XM-L - 1160 LED lumens.
3. Easy manipulation of modes:
- maximal mode (for tightened head)
- 3 modes are switched by button pressing (for loosened head)
Features and characteristics
Main factors were considered during development:
- Light. Powerful, long-distance beam, compact optics.
- Electronics. Effective and highly advanced.
- Design. Comfortable and compact, light and reliable.
The flashlight is developed and engineered by Armytek Optoelectronics Inc., Canada. It is produced from electronic components made in the USA and Japan. During the development, the ideas and suggestions from European and Russian engineers, Special Forces and experienced hunters were taken to account.
1. The reflector of the ArmyTek Barracuda flashlight has been modeled and calculated in computer software for the design of optical systems that enabled to produce a flawless light beam for a distance more than 500 meters.
2. Ultra-transparent and tempered glass was used with anti-reflective and lens coating, normally used in photo equipment only.
3. The transparency of the glass is 98-99%.
1. World's first flashlight has been designed on the basis of the new-generation electronic driver with FLAT runtime technology.
2. Advanced electronic protection from incorrect battery installation, without reducing the efficiency of the driver.
3. Smooth light output. Important notice: no irritating flicker effects.
4. Ecological algorithm of the stabilization control, which decreases the power consumption, making the flashlight very effective.
5. Excellent runtimes for all modes because of high efficient electronics.
1. The ability to use batteries with a flat contact.
2. Protection from switching on accidentally (special turn of the tailcap).
1. The flashlight has a strong, difficult to break body, which is developed for a minimum weight with sufficient durability. The design of the body includes special elements preventing the flashlight from rolling.
2. The flashlight is designed with the impact-resistant bezels from both sides in order to protect it from falling and allow utilization in combat situations. In the Gold and Black version the steel bezels are also covered by titanium compounds with hardness of 2000-3000HV.
3. To ensure functionality in difficult conditions, the electronic driver of the flashlight is placed in a special aluminum capsule and has been completely covered with a durable compound. This actually protects it from both environment and mechanical damage.
4. Body cover: matte, anodized. Hardness: 350-400HV. Resistant to scratches and impacts.
5. Body material: aircraft-grade aluminum T6061-T6.
Water resistance standard: IPX-8 (the highest).
The following technical solutions were implemented to improve water resistance of the flashlight:
1. Two silicone O-rings are installed at each side of the battery tube of the flashlight.
2. Metric profile thread has been used.
3. An O-ring has been used to increase glass sealing, as well as an extra L-ring of a specific shape.
4. All threads, rubber parts and other parts of the flashlight that experience friction or contact with water are lubricated with a special thick grease NyoGel 760G.
my first impressions
- unique design, nice packaging
- awesome matte black anodizing, one of the best I have seen
- precise switch mechanism
- nice cool white tint (not greenish etc)
- massive throw
- simple UI
- perfectly centered led, very good beam quality (no rings)
- batteries do not rattle (working with long 18700 batteries, eg. XTAR)
the most important: NO pwm or other irritating flickering or noise etc. all modes are ok.
click images for higher res, I will add more pictures, incl beamshots.
beamshots (click images for higher res)
Barracuda vs Sunwayman C20C
Barracuda vs Sunwayman T20CS
Barracuda vs Xeno F42 V2 R5nw
Barracuda vs Lumintop Hunter T5
Barracuda vs Dereelight DBS-T, 2MT-M, T6-3C, SMO
Barracuda vs Dereelight XSearcher, U2
Barracuda vs Nitecore MT26
Barracuda vs Rofis TR31C
Barracuda vs Microfire TL2, T6
Barracuda vs Fenix TK35 U2
Barracuda vs Olight SR51
Barracuda with 4.19V batteries and 3.70V batteries (max. output, 1160lm)