Need a laser kit, something over 5 watts

stevenoonan

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am looking to buy a gift for someone who is really into lasers. I don't know much about them. I know he has some that are 1 to 2 watts in size. I am trying to find a cool kit to get him for xmas.

I'd like to get him something like 5 to 10 watts in size. A laser that could cut through metal would be awesome. I'd also like to try and keep the price under $1000.

Anyone have any ideas of where I could find something like this or if a laser that strong would be in this price range? Any links or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

ryansoh3

Newly Enlightened
Google LPF and you'll find a forum that specializes with lasers; it's a whole new world!

Anyways, are you looking for a hand held unit? The only way of achieving 5W+ is with multiple laser diode setups, such as knife edging.

To cut through metal, a CO2 laser with an output of 50-100W (not mW) would be needed; definitely not portable.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pulsed YaG laser would cut metal, but requires a flash lamp w/power source. There are singer 10w dpss lasers available but need cooling, you may new able to find a used one for under $1k

laserle

Newly Enlightened
You can search in Google, can also look at the LPF Forum.There are a lot of knowledge about the laser pointer.