Ultrafire WF-501B P60 mod

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
Hello awesome forum and its members! :wave:

This is my second mod, maybe I post the first one to, so any tips or advise are welcome!
I think that averyone knows that almost every cheap chinese lights have heat problems, I haven't noticed it yet with my ultrafire WF-501B because I haven't had it on for a long time.
But to improve the heat transfer anyways I started to think what can I do, I didn't wanted to wrap it with alu foil or something.
The pill had some space to move in the body, the pill was 1.3mm smaller in diameter and it could move up and down.

So I made this sleeve/spacer.

Side view.

Front view.

Dimetric view.

I designed it with solidworks 2010. And it was made by an friend om my school from aluminium.

Here are some finished pictures of it and mounted on the pill and in the body.

Next to a 18650.

Mounted in the head.

Mounted on the pill.

complete assembly.

Pictures are clickable for bigger one's.
I haven't any impressions yet, I just dont use my flahslight for a long time.

What do you guys think of it?

thijsco19

Last edited:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Nice design and machine work there:thumbsup:! I usually use copper foil tape to bridge the gap between the reflector and the host; aluminum foil is the sloppy way to do it IMO. If you want to increase the thermal transfer capabilites even more you can use a thermal glue such as Fujik on the threads between the pill and the reflector.

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

I was planning to use thermal paste. not glue, I don't want it to be glued in place.
On the threads of the pill and reflector but also between the pill and the sleeve and sleeve and body.
I think before I do that I want an driver swap for better output and a 3 mode's in stead of 5 mode's, I dont need strobe and sos.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice work....

but why did you did not go all the way and make the insert surround the pill too negating the need for an outer spring?

also
Forget the 501. Start making inserts like i told you for the Solarforce lights and see orders coming like crazy!

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
nice work....

but why did you did not go all the way and make the insert surround the pill too negating the need for an outer spring?

also
Forget the 501. Start making inserts like i told you for the Solarforce lights and see orders coming like crazy!
Thank you for your comment, I really dont know why I didn't do that :thinking:. I guess i didn't think of that.

If you mean with insert a drop in then I really want to do that, but I dont have a lathe at home and on my school I am not allowed to operate a lathe :(.

lunas

Enlightened
why not make the whole reflector you could even make it deeper to improve throw remove both springs let the driver sit lower

cullen.salisbury

Newly Enlightened
Just get a extremebeam the screw right in and there reflectors are awesome there actually aluminum diped so they are awesome reflectors and extream beams are very reasonably priced it's about 60 bucks but you could put a grenade on one and int would not leave a scratch I have done this mod amazing results