Test/Review of Xtar 18650 3400mAh (Black)

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Xtar 18650 3400mAh (Black)[/size]

DSC_0851.jpg

Official specifications:
  • Voltage::3.6V
  • Net Weight: 47g
  • Size: 18.4±0.1mm x 68.5±0.5mm
  • Battery Capacity:3400mAh
  • Cell: Panasoinc lithium cell inside

Xtar%2018650%203400mAh%20(Black)-info.png

This is the latest cells from Panasonic with the highest capacity with added protection and button top from Xtar.
The cell used can be discharged down to 2.5 volt, in my test I only discharges to 2.8 volt, i.e. I do not measure the full capacity. But then, not all lights will be able to use the full capacity.

DSC_0849.jpg
DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0852.jpg
DSC_0853.jpg

DSC_0854.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

Xtar%2018650%203400mAh%20(Black)-Capacity.png

The tracking between the two batteries are good (as expected).

Xtar%2018650%203400mAh%20(Black)-CapacityTimeHours.png

Xtar%2018650%203400mAh%20(Black)-CapacityTime.png

Xtar%2018650%203400mAh%20(Black)-Energy.png

Xtar%2018650%203400mAh%20(Black)-PowerLoadTime.png

Xtar%2018650%203400mAh%20(Black)-TripCurrent.png

The over current protection is at "only" 6A, this will protect the batteries from mistreatment, but gives the battery a slightly lower output voltage at high current.

Xtar%2018650%203400mAh%20(Black)-Charge.png

[size=+3]Conclusion[/size]

This battery has higher capacity and better high current capacity than its predecessor Xtar 3100mAh.
Xtar has added protection to a good cell, making a very good battery.

[size=+3]Notes and links[/size]

The batteries was supplied by Xtar via lajt.se for review.

How is the test done and how to read the charts
How is a protected LiIon battery constructed
More about button top and flat top batteries

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another excellent review. HKJ!
Thanks so much for your great work. :thumbsup::goodjob:

P.S.: The over current protection is at "only" 6A, this will protect the batteries from mistreatment, but gives the battery a slightly lower output voltage at high current.

Could you please explain the above in detail? and What's your suggestion for over current protection current amp.?

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Another excellent review. HKJ!
Thanks so much for your great work. :thumbsup::goodjob:

P.S.: The over current protection is at "only" 6A, this will protect the batteries from mistreatment, but gives the battery a slightly lower output voltage at high current.

Could you please explain the above in detail? and What's your suggestion for over current protection current amp.?

The over current protection circuit will always require a small voltage drop (Typically between 0.05 to 0.2 volt), before it triggers. If you place the limit at 6A, you will have the voltage drop at 6A, if you place the limit at 12A, you will only have half the voltage drop at 6A (If the protection is made with the same chip).

I have not seen the data for the 3400mAh battery, but I would expect it to have a recommended maximum current around 6A, discharging it at higher current will reduce the lifetime of the battery, with the 6A current limit it is not possible to use the battery in a light that draws to much. It can also be more dangerous for the environment if you have a partial short, not due to explosion danger, but due to heat and fire risk from more than 20 watt in a small space.

The advantages and disadvantages with 6A vs. 12A trip current are minor for most people.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The over current protection circuit will always require a small voltage drop (Typically between 0.05 to 0.2 volt), before it triggers. If you place the limit at 6A, you will have the voltage drop at 6A, if you place the limit at 12A, you will only have half the voltage drop at 6A (If the protection is made with the same chip).

I have not seen the data for the 3400mAh battery, but I would expect it to have a recommended maximum current around 6A, discharging it at higher current will reduce the lifetime of the battery, with the 6A current limit it is not possible to use the battery in a light that draws to much. It can also be more dangerous for the environment if you have a partial short, not due to explosion danger, but due to heat and fire risk from more than 20 watt in a small space.

The advantages and disadvantages with 6A vs. 12A trip current are minor for most people.

Many thanks for your informative explanation. I could see other 3400mAh based protected cells have higher trip currents from your excellent test reviews.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Many thanks for your informative explanation. I could see other 3400mAh based protected cells have higher trip currents from your excellent test reviews.

And if you use my comparator and compare the 5A discharge trace, the batteries with the higher trip current will usual also have a higher voltage (It depends on the protection IC, i.e. not all batteries are the same).

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if you use my comparator and compare the 5A discharge trace, the batteries with the higher trip current will usual also have a higher voltage (It depends on the protection IC, i.e. not all batteries are the same).

Thanks to you, I think I can enjoy learning the good knowlege. :)

calabazas

Newly Enlightened
Choosing the right 18650 battery is confusing to me. Technical side is fine to understand. Confusing part is the label on battery. Most lie about mAh rating. Few are honest. And, some even carry both kinds. Unwrapping that takes most time and effort in my case.