Streamlight Stinger...As Good As Scorpion?

DDS

Enlightened
Hi, I am new to this forum but was glad to stumble onto this website from a link on Blade Forums. I don't have much expertise to offer for my primary strengths are with guns and knives. I do, however, have lots of questions to ask and have learned much already from the various posts. I don't believe you can be a gun and knife nut without having interest in gadgets and flashlights! I own many for various uses including one of my favorites, a Scorpion. I really like the smooth pure beam it casts and prefer it over my 6P/6R. I also like the rubber sleeve. My overnight charger for my 6R has died and a new quick charger is very expensive... so I was considering buying a Stinger setup with quick chargers. This leads me to my question for you Stinger owners: Is the beam pattern cast by the Stinger as nice as the Scorpion's? Is the Polystinger with rubber sleeve nicer?
I bought the Scorpion recently for I was finding that the newer bulb assemblies from Surefire were not as good as in the past and they have not been as durable. Personally, I like the flood pattern with no distortions that the Scorpion projects better. Any feed back would be appreciated. Looking forward to participation in the forums.

Dave

DaveH

Enlightened
I own a stinger and had a scorpian until I gave it away a year ago. IMO, The stinger has a nice even tight center beam, better than my scorpian I had.

I think they're nice, I like it better than the surefire 9P I had for a while. I have the aluminum stinger I think the poly wouuld be fine, maybe even a bit nicer to hold onto, and will save you some money.

DaveH

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Stinger is over twice as bright at the Scorpion, plus if you use it a lot you'll save on batteries as the Stinger is rechargeable. The Poly-Stingers are nice but I like the older ones better. Streamlight changed the grip from the soft rubber to what feels like plastic. It probably won't stick in the carriers, but it doesn't give as good a grip as the older ones. Also check out the Stinger XT. It is an aluminum body, the rubber grip, and the switch is on the tail-cap instead of the side. More like a Sure-Fire.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The Stinger is a great lamp, good beam and decent run time, very inexpensive in the long run. Unfortunately you can only charge the battery with the light in the charger, so there is a long turn around time. It's a great light for around the house, hang it on a charger next to the back door or by the bed, but I'll take a Scorpion for carrying around all day.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

DDS

Enlightened
Thanks for feedback guys!

Unicorn: I dont't think I would like the grip on the new Polystingers if they are like hard plastic. Is the grip on the Stinger XT still the old style? If not, I probably will go with the standard Stinger with the fast charger.

Thanks again!
Dave