Flashlight that fits in your wallet - Eon Classic Review - Credit Card Size LED Light

ama230

Enlightened
First of all I had wanted to say that I am very thankful for this forums existence. It has helped me and countless others to find inside information from alternative energy to survival gear. So before I get this show started, I had wanted to give a big sincere THANK YOU to CANDLEPOWERFORUMS.COM for making us fellow nerds and geeks informed.

It's going to seem like I am doing a lot of product pushing but that's not the case. I am a contracted EET so work comes and goes. When I do get the chance to review exciting and innovative products that aren't main stream, I will do my best to get as much out there.

Note:
I do not work for these companies nor am I endorsing them. I am a normal individual that like to do reviews on products that are pushing innovation and allow the user to have a choice on what he or she prefers. I do this for the fact that I LOVE reading reviews myself and it's nice to get a feel for a product before pulling the trigger.

Let's get on with the review already…

For the general form or thought of a flashlight, many think of big D-cell batteries and a Maglite. This was the work horse back in the day as it was the common name for getting the job done. Just like anything else times change and things progress, as we no longer have to rely on horse and buggy to do our work. Do not get me wrong, it gets the job done, but is it in an efficient manner?

There is no longer the need to keep replacing bulbs and batteries, from what the manufacturer claims. This is dual niche light (that's right NICHE not NICHIA) that fills two nice functions. The first function is form factor as its very compact, light and mimics the shape of what we carry in our wallets/purse. Then the second function is how bright it is for its size.

The product I am going to do a review of is called the EON classic by Iain Sinclair. It is a revamp of the past products that have been released in the past decade or more. Claims to one of the first portable led lights and has stuck around since, so they must be doing something bright (pun intended). As for the looks and general function of this light, it does both great as I entail further in my review.

I will be going over claimed specs vs. actual specs as most of us do on here as it helps protect the consumer from unwanted surprises. Then what is a review without pictures, just a written story, so I will be posting those to give you a better idea of the form, fit and function of this little guy or gal.

Manufactures Specs:

Price: Suggested retail of $25

Durability: Waterproof, shockproof, and crush proof(No) bulbs to blow and no batteries to change

Dimensions: Length x Width x Thickness 85.6mm x 54mm x 5mm at it's center, thinning down to 2mm- as convenient as a credit card

Weight: 45 grams

Bulb Type: 2 x 3mm Nichia BS LEDs

Materials: Injection molded polymer sandwiched between two brushed stainless steel plates.

Runtime: 168 Hours

Brightness: 20 Lumens

Beam Profile : Spot

Switch Type: Squeeze for "ON" Let go for "OFF"

Actual Specs:

Durability: It's definitely rugged as the materials used are for the long haul.

Dimensions: Length x Width x Thickness 3.37" x 2.12"x .1250"

Weight - .3 oz

Bulb type; Dual 3mm Nichia BS LEDs

Beam Color: 6000K (slightly blue and not angry blue like we remember of early Nichia LEDs)

Brightness: 20 Lumens (compared to a fauxton with a Nichia GS with 2 fresh 2016 batteries)

Beam Profile: Nice clean spot of at least 30 degrees

Then here are glorious photos:

The first picture today is of the front of the package, which is the size of a standard jewel cd case. The idea is to keep the packaging as minimal as possible, as it save the consumer a few bucks.
2012-12-11134705.jpg

Then for the second photo is of the back of the package. It has the whole message behind the light and I think its called the mission statement.
2012-12-11140349.jpg

The third picture is of the light still in the package but shows what it looks like when opened. Simple and classy if I might say. I am glad that there is not extra plastic so KUDOS!
2012-12-11135105.jpg

Then the fourth photo is of the light next to my leatherman wave for size reference. It sure does look nice!
2012-12-11135237.jpg

Then the fifth picture of the lights top again in a closer aspect as you can see that it has a clean modern look.
2012-12-11135747.jpg

Then for the sixth photograph, it shows the backside in close up view to show that this looks like a novelty item. Do not let that fool you.
2012-12-11135805.jpg

The seventh picture is of the lights side to show you how thin it actually is.
2012-12-11140125.jpg

The eighth picture is of the actual bottom of the light as this thing stays thin.
2012-12-11135323.jpg

Then the ninth picture is of the front of the light to show the two 3mm Nichia LEDs. They may look like pea shooters but they fire like a cannon! A nice surprise if I must say.
2012-12-11140044.jpg

For the tenth photo I have the Eon Classic in the palm of my hand for general size reference.
2012-12-13110433.jpg

The here is the eleventh picture as I am showing the light in comparison to the 1000W/m^2 here in Arizona. Also it shows the light in my hand for size comparison as well.
2012-12-11135452.jpg

Now for the night shots!

Here is the twelveth pic of the review that shows the Eon Classic shining in my bathroom. As you can see this a color test as the orange lantern, red fire extinguisher and purple fake flowers. If your picky like most of us get you can see the slight bluish hue but not bad.
2012-12-11190439.jpg

The thirteenth picture is of my fauxton with a Nichia 5mm GS LED with two fresh 2016 cells. You can see that its a little more intense. The colors are more distinct so you can see the difference in color temperature.
2012-12-11190335.jpg

Then for the fourteenth picture is of a white wall shot. It show the slight bluish beam but its very smooth, a good beam though.
2012-12-11191039.jpg

The fifteenth photo is of my fauxton on a white wall to show you the beam profile. You can see that is has the famous angry center but it still warmer than any CS series.
2012-12-11191025.jpg

Then for the final and sixteenth shot is of the two next to each other and its quite a showdown. 2 x 3mm's vs. 1 x 5mm, let the judging begin. Its close but if I had to say, it would be the Eon for lighting up an area brighter and longer. I could see my fauxton getting dimmer after like 5min of use during the review.
2012-12-11191014.jpg

Then for the general form fit factor, it does better that I had anticipated and was having high hopes. This light is bringing back simplicity as there is no maintenance or special modes. There is no accidental activation of the light as the pressure of the switch is in the sweet spot of sensitivity. The looks of this light make it stand out as classy not flashy as this is what exceeded my expectations too.

When I had compared it to my key chain light, I was thoroughly surprised that those 3mm LEDs could keep up with a single 5mm GS LED. In the pictures you can see that the GS Looks angry and it is as while the EON Classic's LEDs are a slightly blue smooth spot.

Final thoughts and suggestions:

The only thing I would change is the LED color as it would be nice to have a wavelength of at least 5000k thus to ensure a little warmer profile, whilst helping the color rendition at night. This is not a deal breaker but always like to give some constructive criticism. This is a great light for anyone who wants a simple, classy and dependable light source on the go or at home.

Thanks again for tuning into my review and hope to keep them coming. If there are any comments or suggestions, please feel free, as I will try to get to them in a timely fashion.

Thank you for your time and Happy Holidays,
Eric Ramirez
Ama230

Last edited:

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
I think my computer is outdated because it's not uploading your photos. Will be back in a little while.

I had an early version of this light. The battery lasted ten years, literally. Admittedly its use was intermittent, but still... The case then was a hard plastic, but it withstood the rigors of being carried in my coat pocket without any harm whatsoever. It has an ultra slim profile. My wife also carried the Eon for a year or two while traveling for work, and never felt geeky about having a flashlight.

ama230

Enlightened
Sorry guys I had to do this in small bits as it will log me out in 5 min if i do not push save. The pictures are up now and sorry for the delay.

@Davethedude - If the light lasted ten years with non-replaceable cells then its well worth the money! Its nice to hear that someone using a light and not being perceived as a geek or nerd.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah pics work great now and you did a fantastic job on the photography!

i love this review, you really put good thought into it, thanks man! the light looks well designed too

ama230

Enlightened
@tobrien - First of all I had wanted to say that its a pleasure to meet KENNY F'ing POWERS. I love that show. Anyways, thank you for the very nice comment and it had made my day! Glad you enjoyed!

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.
Can you include a pic with it in the palm of your hand.
Can you include the suggested retail price.

ama230

Enlightened
@ GordoJones - I will post a picture tomorrow of the light in my palm as its night time now.
For the second request - I have included the Suggested retail in the manufacturers specs.

Thank you for the suggestions,
Eric

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
@tobrien - First of all I had wanted to say that its a pleasure to meet KENNY F'ing POWERS. I love that show. Anyways, thank you for the very nice comment and it had made my day! Glad you enjoyed!

Likewise, it was nice meeting you. Buy my audiobook!

yeah Eastbound & Down is amazing hahah. especially the "racist ashley shafer" scene and the "I can feel it in my plums / let the boy watch" scenes. I love those. Danny McBride is the man. He's done a ton of KSwiss promo videos as Kenny Powers you can find on youtube. they're worth the watch most definitely.

but anyways, yeah man no problem, your review was deserving of such praise, you put a ton of effort into it!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and the pics.

I have one of these lights also, courtesy of Lloyd's of London, that has been laying in my nightstand's drawer for the last 10 years or so. It did not get much use but when I checked it this morning it still lighted up nicely.

BTW the light can be found on Ebay for $20

ama230

Enlightened
That is awesome your still works after ten years.

Also thanks for posting a pricing update for us that are budget conscious.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW here's the one:

o8uvbd.jpg

I am not sure that nowadays they would still give out such expensive gadgets but you never know ....

Craig K

Enlightened
I remember seeing another light like this on CPF is there another company that makes a light like this but in a higher quality?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing another light like this on CPF is there another company that makes a light like this but in a higher quality?

There's a new light from the same British company Iain Sinclair with two levels and a high output (230 lumen) named Eon Extreme but apparently they have problems in manufacturing it:

1zp5y07.jpg

I actually ordered one two months ago and they keep on saying it will be sent shortly but shortly never comes ...

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just observing.
Doesn't the attempt to make it "credit card size" actually increase its dimensions for no useful purpose other than "style"?
It would seem they could make it MUCH smaller by just using a case which only covers it, and doesn't have an extra inch or two of overhang in 3 of the 4 directions.

Then they could say "Even SMALLER than a credit card!".
It just seems to me that they took this credit card style a bit too far, and made the light bigger than it needed to be, in order to give the illusion that it is flat, but it's NOT flat.

Last edited:

Elakazam

Newly Enlightened
...I actually ordered one two months ago and they keep on saying it will be sent shortly but shortly never comes ...

... i ordered one too, more than 6 month ago with a prepay...waited weeks ...had some e-mails...several weeks later...nothing...had some more emails.. took another 2 months, more nice emails, next a price reduction offer................and weeks later......:-(.....................it finally ended with a refunding...PITY!

Last edited:

Craig K

Enlightened
There's a new light from the same British company Iain Sinclair with two levels and a high output (230 lumen) named Eon Extreme but apparently they have problems in manufacturing it:

1zp5y07.jpg

I actually ordered one two months ago and they keep on saying it will be sent shortly but shortly never comes ...

Thanks that is the one I was looking for, I like it in black not silver.