2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Upgrading to Projector HID's

Rogue1970

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, been a lurker for about a year, so I thought I would start posting some of my lighting experiences.

I now have a Ninja 1000 and am really disappointed with the stock lighting. I've owned many bikes and just sold a 2010 Concour 14. The Concour had a dual headlight setup like the N1k does, but at least the Concour used both beams for low & high.

2011 Ninja 1000
033C064D-8D04-4698-ABE1-19D430B74C74-462-0000003E0203B3E1.jpg

The N1k only uses the right beam for the low beam and the left is only a high beam. Needless to say, this sucks!

The last few nights when riding the bike home, I would stop at a light and have a car pull up behind me and totally wash out my headlight to the point I can't see the road ahead of me. Geezzzz, it is that bad!

Key-on, not running (marker lights on):
64DD8DDD-35D7-479A-BB4E-AD72938DA0B8-462-0000003DF540E057.jpg

Running low beam:
5953A576-B42D-4B11-AA82-03DB784FC849-462-0000003DED5BCF56.jpg

Running high beam:
4D8CEB36-0AC1-4062-B781-BEC46A3031AC-462-0000003DF18D8AF8.jpg

** EDIT **
Disclaimer, I am documenting my installation of this kit in this thread just to show the differences in light before and after. This modification might not be legal and I am not recommending that others should do this modification.

I just ordered a BiXenon HID Projector kit and will be doing the install in the coming weeks.

I've done upgrades/retro fits for many different cars, bikes, and quads, so this should not be too much different then what I've done in the past.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome here. Please be advised that the lighting modifications you're recommending are not illegal and often wind up being unsafe. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal or dangerous activity.

Rogue1970

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about that. I was not intending to recommend this modification; only to document the process.

sadtimes

Enlightened
You need to swap projectors to hid ones, otherwise you will have nicely dressed people politely interrupt your day and introduce themselves to you at which point they will significantly decrease the amount of money in your bank account, they may even give you a free nights stay away from home.

Forgoing the sarcasm, seriously, don't install those kits. You are comprising everyone on the roads safety including yours.

kramd

Newly Enlightened
I havent seen the Kwak 1000 but I will say I prefer split lights on my CBR600. I do not like the styling on yours. Front is ugly and the shape of lights doesnt look like its helping.
The standard light on mine is better than many cars. Fast bikes need to have very good lights. Good is not enough.
Have you had the lights (and suspension) adjusted with you sitting on the bike? if the height is wrong, they will be no good.

I see less issue with HID kits on split lights, the fairing will block the low beam from oncoming traffic, but thats no reson to do a poor job of it. They can still annoy cars infront, especially on a bike where the front will lift so often :D In a car, that would be an excuse to brake test for many people.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I see less issue with HID kits on split lights

Actually, "HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps or fog/auxiliary lamps (any kit, any lamp, any vehicle no matter whether it's a car, truck, motorcycle, etc., and no matter how the lights are configured; single, split, etc.) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal or dangerous activity, so please stop now.

the fairing will block the low beam from oncoming traffic

That doesn't actually happen.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havent seen the Kwak 1000 but I will say I prefer split lights on my CBR600. I do not like the styling on yours. Front is ugly and the shape of lights doesnt look like its helping.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The standard light on mine is better than many cars.
And you have the objective measurements to back that up, or is that a subjective impression? The standard for motorcycle headlamps is actually objectively lower than for automobile headlamps (SAE J584, April 1964).

Fast bikes need to have very good lights. Good is not enough.
All bikes need to have lights that at the very least conform to the standard, but there are objectively better and poorer lamps that conform to the standard.
The driver will, of course, still have to drive safely, with reduced speeds at night, no matter how good the headlamps!

Have you had the lights (and suspension) adjusted with you sitting on the bike? if the height is wrong, they will be no good.
That makes sense, as with cars the normal load of stuff carried in the trunk, a half-tank of fuel, and the driver seated in the vehicle is a good way to start before setting the aim.

I see less issue with HID kits on split lights, the fairing will block the low beam from oncoming traffic, but thats no reson to do a poor job of it.
Putting in an HID kit is automatically doing a poor job of it. And, as stated before, the fairing will not reduce glare for oncoming traffic.

kramd

Newly Enlightened
Why, do speed limits not exist for "fast bikes" where you live?

Quite the opposite. Motocycles are far less stable in slippery conditions, pot holes, or anything. In a car you only need to see the direction of the road, the surface or quality of it has very little impact compared to a motorcycle. An example, on a wet day, I noticed many fields along the road were partly flooded, and I was riding slowely to the conditions. There was a ford accross the road, and I had already slowed down for it, however there was about 2 inches deep of of loose stones, gravel and dirt washed into the road before the ford, which would have been impossible to notice just under headlights. I let go of the front brake just as I started to skid, was lucky stayed upright. In a car, I would have put my foot down for the fun of making a bigger splash.

The fact that motorcycles can accelerate, and in good conditions, slow down, much faster than a car, does not mean we are always speeding..

kramd

Newly Enlightened
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And you have the objective measurements to back that up, or is that a subjective impression? The standard for motorcycle headlamps is actually objectively lower than for automobile headlamps (SAE J584, April 1964).

All bikes need to have lights that at the very least conform to the standard, but there are objectively better and poorer lamps that conform to the standard.
The driver will, of course, still have to drive safely, with reduced speeds at night, no matter how good the headlamps!

Measurements? no it is my opinion having driven many cars, and riddden many motorbikes. There does not seem to be a minimum standard for motorcycles if you look at the smaller models, many I would not want to ride at night in areas without street lighting.

That makes sense, as with cars the normal load of stuff carried in the trunk, a half-tank of fuel, and the driver seated in the vehicle is a good way to start before setting the aim.

On a bike the height will change depending on accelerating or braking. I like to have the height set as if under strong accereration (front rises), to prevent the appearance of flashing lights, which can confuse other traffic to think you are giving way.

Putting in an HID kit is automatically doing a poor job of it. And, as stated before, the fairing will not reduce glare for oncoming traffic.

I agree with you. Perhaps you are right about the fairing, ofcourse if bike is leant over they will get glare from any light. And I did not advocate anything. I hate annoying lights. As I said, using them behind me will get your brakes tested. Careless drivers have lost mirrors.

Wow im shocked at the amount of people saying they would brake check and risk causing an accident because they don't feel like flipping their mirror up to the night position. Yes the lights are obnoxious, so pull to the side and let the tailgating, quicker moving bike go past to fish out any hiding police. and no I don't ride
, anymore at least, but seriously breakchecking is just as illegal at improper hid lights.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Measurements? no it is my opinion having driven many cars, and riddden many motorbikes. There does not seem to be a minimum standard for motorcycles if you look at the smaller models, many I would not want to ride at night in areas without street lighting.
"Opinion", "does not seem". So. Subjective, not objective.

On a bike the height will change depending on accelerating or braking.
As on a car.

I like to have the height set as if under strong accereration (front rises), to prevent the appearance of flashing lights, which can confuse other traffic to think you are giving way.
The aim should be set with the vehicle motionless, to accommodate the variances that come with driver position, road surface, and all the other variables.

As I said, using them behind me will get your brakes tested. Careless drivers have lost mirrors.
As you said, you'd make immature driving decisions based on others' immaturity.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Wow im shocked at the amount of people saying they would brake check and risk causing an accident because they don't feel like flipping their mirror up to the night position.

Speaking of flipping, that's flippant and dismissive of you. The night position doesn't adequately reduce glare from improper lights (high beams or "HID kits", etc). No, two wrongs don't make a right, but it's unrealistic of you to be "shocked": you are proposing doing something dangerous, obnoxious, and illegal -- playing Death Avenger of the Highway by means of unsafe glaring lights. Don't be surprised when people at least say they'd retaliate in kind by means of their brakes. "Just pull over" is -- you will excuse my coarse language -- a douchey suggestion tantamount to "just let the bully punch the crap out of you".

Everyone -- especially you, thelonewolf1124 double-check your attitude and watch your mouth. This thread is teetering on the edge of being closed.

Last edited: