Cheap DIY 10W LED bike light

Preamp

Newly Enlightened
I just finished my first self-made LED bike light. Using some parts I had lying around, the rest was rather cheap. Maybe it's some inspiration for anyone trying to build one, too?

Find some photos and schematics on my website: http://preamp.org/elektronik/10w-led-scheinwerfer-selbstgebaut

Regards, Lasse

bikelight_front.jpg

bikelight_inside.jpg

bikelight_battery.jpg

bikelight_beamshot_01.jpg

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Nice work. Do you find the foreground light a little excessive or is it working out well for the style of riding you are doing?

How if the driver efficiency?

Semiman

Preamp

Newly Enlightened
I didn't actually ride it yet, but from what I see it'll be fine. I tried it before without the FRAEN reflector, but that was too widespread and too dark in the center.

Good point you mentioned the efficiency, I totally forgot about it while doing the write-up :eek:.
I did a test with the lab supply at 24V, which is a little hight, though. Yields a nice 89.6% I'm quite happy with.

SemiMan

Banned
I didn't actually ride it yet, but from what I see it'll be fine. I tried it before without the FRAEN reflector, but that was too widespread and too dark in the center.

Good point you mentioned the efficiency, I totally forgot about it while doing the write-up :eek:.
I did a test with the lab supply at 24V, which is a little hight, though. Yields a nice 89.6% I'm quite happy with.

Without going synchronous you would likely top out about 93% or so, so you are not losing much at all.

I have a light I made quite a few years ago, it has a fairly narrow optic, 12 degrees but with enough spill to cover the foreground nicely but not too much to be wipe out night vision. May be interesting to try a range of optics to see what you like best.

Semiman