Tri-EDC tint colors

pcctex

Newly Enlightened
Is there a post available that shows or explains the difference between the neutral tint and the cool tint on Mac's Tri-EDC light? Also; do the two tints produce the same number of lumens?

Thank you to all,

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Good start heading straight for the Tri-EDC!

Have a look at this:
7 light CCT/CRI Comparison

They're not all Tri-EDC's obviously - but it does show a side-by-side comparison of quite a lot of tints, from warm right up to cool.

In general, though, a "cool" tint is a frosty blueish colour. Neutral aims to be plain white - no shift towards any particular colour, and warm is that lovely soothing yellow that you get from an incan (biased much? ;))

As for lumens - In order to provide a warmer tint, LED manufacturers have to use more/different phosphors to bring the colour down from the blue that the diode itself produces. A cool-tint LED will produce more lumens then a warm tint, as there is less phosphor blocking/consuming the output.

After that, it's about personal taste. I like warm tints. I can see better with a warm light than a cool one (entirely due to MY eyes) so the lumen loss by using a warm emitter is negated by my ability to see better. Having lots of light that your eyes can't work with is of no use. In general though, the loss in output is not significant from cool to neutral, but the loss from cool to warm is noticeable.

Others here love cool whites. Others swear by neutral.

Buy one of each (maybe not Tri-EDC's - although that will earn you some street cred on CPF :D) and decide for yourself which you like best.

Have fun!