Hooks, clips, whatever they are.. where do I find quality ones?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hello all,

I am looking for those hooks/clips which are usually attached to quality lanyards which came along with flashlights. Not sure what they are called, I know one of them is called "lobster claw". But I am looking for better quality ones, yet inexpensive as well.

Can anyone give me a headstart what they are called so I can find them on ebay? Thanks!

JJ

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The really good clips are known as "McGizmo" clips
they come in 4 sizes and are available from Berkeley point, Lighthound, JSburlysflashlights and a number of other places.

I have a bunch of them, but typically use the middle sizes, the smallest ones are too small and have no real gate strength, and the big ones are too big.

Here's a pic
JBCP3379.jpg

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Thanks! These are exactly the type of clips I am looking for. Ebay sellers are selling them for about $8 shipped, are these normal prices or can I get them cheaper?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Great photo for size comparison, Echo63 !

Just wanted to add Unique Titanium to your list of excellent sources for these McGizmo clips :thumbsup:

Also agree that #2's are probably the best "general purpose" choice, at least for me :)

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
Awesome accessories for sure, but just be aware that they can also become unclipped very easily as well sometimes. This seems to happen to me most often with things clipped to keychains in the pocket, for some reason. The smaller clips (#2 and smaller) have less of a tendency to do this, I think...

archimedes

Flashaholic
Awesome accessories for sure, but just be aware that they can also become unclipped very easily as well sometimes. This seems to happen to me most often with things clipped to keychains in the pocket, for some reason. The smaller clips (#2 and smaller) have less of a tendency to do this, I think...

In my own experience, I have actually found the smaller clips to be more likely to accidentally unclip :shrug:

dss_777

Enlightened
In my own experience, I have actually found the smaller clips to be more likely to accidentally unclip :shrug:

Good to know. I probably didn't see that since I have nothing with #2 or smaller clips on the keychain.

I guess we should treat these clips like you'd treat the Russians: Trust, but verify. ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not sure if Rite-Aid still sells them, but they had Garrity lights just a few years ago. I used to buy a handful of the Garrity single-AAA model. Each came with a generic gate-clip that worked very well. A heavy duty pair of scissors was all that was needed to break the swivel rings off and detach the clip from the light. The tiny split-ring just below the clip could then be attached to better lights. Hate to say it, but I found the clips themselves to be better quality than that little Garrity keychain model. Still, I found that women liked the light since it functioned like a scaled down Mini-Mag. Better fit in a purse, but still not so small as to be very difficult to find if needed.

I gave one away to an old co-worker years ago after a mix-up by management at work. Felt bad for her. Than again, considering how ridiculously unprofessional she was, I probably shouldn't have. Anyway, she loved the light.

Not the best solution, but if all you need is just one clip; might be worth buying the light just for the clip. Locally available, no waiting for the mailman to drop off your online order. Plus, you can give the light away to a non-flashaholic friend or acquaintance.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also suggest Berkeley Point. In addition to McGizmo clips, they have a variety of quick links and minature bow shacles. They also sell spectra cord, which is lighter and stronger than paracord. If you like knots, working with hard laid cotton cordage is the best. FrayedKnotArts sells lanyards and also has tutorials and sources of good cordage.

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest army surplus stores, for new and second hand items for reasonable prices.

High quality items in this category can also be found at shops for outdoor, mountain climbing, safety, metal ware or boating accesories. There are also carbine hooks that can be locked by screwing.

Last edited:

Frank W

Newly Enlightened
I would also like to know some recommendations for high quality small carabiners. Preferrably available in Europe easily (most of the nice US-made "preppers" paraphernalia is just too expensive or inconvenient to ship over).

There is plenty of small stainless steel screwlock 'biners in local hardware shops, but these are usually either low quality, or too heavy, or both. And screwlock is a PITA to remove, it's more for screw once, never open again type of attachments.

I preffer the wiregate designs, like these:
10QQJd4.jpg

(BD Micron) which for me have held up well, have a cutout on the gate for the wire so are very pretty secure even without lock, but are still too big for keychains/EDC lights etc. They are basically downsized climbing 'biners.

The wiregate design is the best I think, so far it's the most sturdy in small 'biners in my opinion (other small accessory 'biners with solid gate and flat spring inside it tend to loose spring pressure too easily over time, like most of the cheap ones that are most often bundled with small items like lights).

Anybody knows of similar but preferrably smaller? Wiregate, sturdy, small? The ones linked above seem interesting but would prefer locally in Europe.

I am also looking for a source of these pretty interesting hooks, used in Domke bags:

qfo0tNH.jpg

Mainly for snap closure of pouches and bag flaps. In practice, they work very well in their products (snapping onto a sewn in ring), and I would like to use them for added secure closure of custom pouches (instead of tri-claw quickreleases most EDC pouches/waistpacks use), where usually the flap would be held by velcro only for ease of access, and when needed I could snap it shut with this hook. Although if they are Domke patent, I might be just out of luck. I have several from worn out bags over the years but I am not prepared to buy a new 40$ pouch just to cut it apart for the hook :)

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
The safest and lightest way to attach a flashlight (or other EDC-item) to clothing is by means of a nylon cord loop of two feet length. Extra advantage is that you have a cord on you for first aid and repairs.

Stick one cord end through the lanyard eye of the flashlight. Then tie this cord into a simple loop. Then stick this cord loop through a belt loop, button hole or zipper ring or around your trousers belt. Then stick one end of the cord loop with the flaslight through the other end of the loop, to fasten it.

If you want a high quality mini carabiner, then search for them on the website of shops for boating, sailing, safety gear, skiing, climbing or army dump.
You can also search in shops for sewing, bags or shoe repair. Or see Google Images and search there for: "mini carabiner".

A cheap steel D-ring with screw closure from a hardware store, can be improved by lubricating it with vaseline, and by smoothening flaws in the threading with a mini file. But personally I prefer a high quality aluminum carabiner with a spring for light weight and for speed of operation, especially in an emergency panic situaton.

Last edited: