Olight S20 Baton review (COMPARISON AND MEASUREMENTS)

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
"Submitted for consideration for the review forum "

• Powered by two CR123A or one 18650
• Led Cree XM-L
• OP reflector
• Stainless Steel Bezel
• Dimensions
-Length : 106mm
-Diameter: 23mm
-Weight: 52g without battery
• IPX-8
• Aluminium type III Hard Anodized finish

My sample is a prototype so it could be different in some respects from the S20 for sale. I also received the torch in a plastic bag so I don't know what original package will include.
The Oligh S20 is very similar to the S10 so i will try to focus on the differences and give more space to my user experience occurred in recent weeks.
For more infos i post a link to my review of s10.

CONSTRUCTION

The first thing I noticed was the clip softer and longer than the S10 clip so it is an improvement although it still is caught halfway where the clip protrudes.
The S20 works with a 18650 battery but the body maintains a reduced diameter and you can notice the difference with the S10 only when they are close.
The ergonomics are excellent, I find it very comfortable to use and it's still a perfect edcdespite the extra lenght. I think you willingly accept the lenght when you consider the much higher capacity of 18650 compared to a 16340 or CR123A.
it's possible to use two cr123a batteries by putting them first in the provided adapter.
To the positive pole is mounted a spring so no problem with flat battery.
For the rest, the S20 possesses all the qualities of the S10.

USER INTERFACE

When you hold down the button the cycle becomes low-medium-high-low-medium-high .. and after 3 cycles you'll active the lock-out function. You can turn on the light again by pressing 3 times the button.
Finally, the switch will glow red when battery is running low.

For the rest is identical to S10.

The torch has four brightness levels well spaced

1-moonlight 0.5 lumens
2-low 5 lumens
3-medium 100 lumens
4-high 470 lumens

Flashlight turns on with a single button press. S20 memorizes the last level used so it will turn on at that level. You can turn the flashlight on turn at the lowest level of 0.5 lumens. From off you must press and hold the button until the light turns on at the lowest level.
From on you can cycle through the levels by holding down the button.
The moonlight level is excluded from this cycle.
From on you can access the strobe mode with a double button press.
The transition between the levels is rather slow so the rubber button is subjected to a high stress.

I must point out the hardness of the button, it's really too hard but I think it is a feature of my prototype.

OUTPUT

The S20 has the same reflector of theS10 then the beam produced is the same.

brightness
The S20 is very powerful but there isn't a great difference with the S10. Let's say that the real gain is elsewhere.
tint
Even this example of xm-l has a greenish note, stronger than usual.
beam
Despite more brightness there is no real gain in throw.

MEASUREMENTS

I made measurements with my usual lux meter. This time I tried to estimate runtime through ceiling bounce test; i measured the brightness decrease. I have not cooled in any way the torch.

Runtime with AW 2200mah: 2h26m

min--lux18650-- lux cr123a
0-------38,4----------39,2
0,5-----37,6----------38,5
1-------37,1----------37,9
1,5-----36,7----------37,3
2-------36,4----------36,8
2,5-----36,1----------36,3
3-------35,9----------36

Estimated ansi lumens

18650: 427 lumens
CR123A: 428 lumens

With both 18650 and cr123a brightness is the same; even after 8-9 minutes, brightness stabilizes around 250 lumens (lux 20,6) in both cases.

BEAMSHOTS

Unfortunately i don't have my reflex (fault). I hoped to receive it back from assistance but times are very dilated, in December even worse.
They will arrive as soon as possible.

CONCLUSIONS

The S20 is definitely an excellent edc flashlight. I often lose it literally in jacket pockets and it is very powerful in relation to the size even if from this point of view, the S10 is more impressive.
The Olight S20 has really great runtime with 18650 and i consider runtime its real strenght even if it's obtained thanks to a substantial decrease of output after five minutes
The S20 maintained all qualities of S10 with some additions as better clip and low voltage indicator, so if i had to choose i'd take the S20 because the lenght does not hurt me and it's compensated by longer runtime and more lumens.