Newbie Modder - Lumicycle LED4

w01fy

Newly Enlightened
hi all,

Newbie modder that is thinking of upgrading an Lumicyle LED4 , 4 x CREE XRE-R2.

I'm looking to make it brighter and or more efficient. I'm also interested in tightening the beam to give a longer throw.

Has anyone got any experience with the Lumicycle lights that could give some advice on easy methods to upgrade it.

e.g. can I get a set of LEDs on a star board and a new optic and simply drop it in or do i need to do more than that?

Thanks

w01fy

w01fy

Newly Enlightened
To add, the current LED4 is a spot 6 degree, but doesn't have the punch of a older HID I used so lookig to condense the beam for use on the road when doing fast tempo rides etc. It will be used with another light so not having sideways light for the road new the front wheel isn't an issue.

Maybe a quad system this isn't possible mind you, as maybe I can't condense the beam enough?

pdw

Newly Enlightened
I've done quite a bit of modding on old Lumicycle halogens, and I've got an LED3 which I've got vague plans to upgrade at some point. You can get optics and LED boards from Cutter (www.cutter.com.au).

They should be pretty much a drop in replacement, but the brightness increases will be modest unless you also change the driver (in which case you should be able to get some substantial improvements...)

I don't think you'll be able to tighten the beam with 4 LEDs, and upgrading to XM-Ls will probably make it worse. 6 degrees is pretty tight, but I think that with such small optics there's always going to be quite a wide spill of light. You could probably achieve similar output in a tighter beam by dropping to a single XM-L with a larger reflector/optic, and running it at 3A.

I'll be interested in how you get on. I've never had a look inside my LED3, so I've no idea what space there is for the driver, but the casing is a pretty solid lump of alu so should be much better at dissipating heat than the halogen cans.

w01fy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link and advice.

I think I probably will go to a single LED with a larger reflector.

What I may do is if I can find a suitable donar body, leave my Lumicycle in tact while I learn a bit more first! I will keep you posted

stevemorg

Newly Enlightened
If you are in the UK I Have a Lumicycle HID lamp unit I'm thinking of selling - they make very good hosts for LED conversions. Am looking for £25 posted for it