• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Logan Experience? Particularly with pocket clips?

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
I have my eye on the Logan 123 in stainless and I want to add a pocket clip and the momentary tailcap plunger. I've found one place that actually has pocket clips that supposedly fit it (made for the Eiger but it says they work on the Logan as well) but it also states that it stops the plunger from being able to push the light to 100% brightness from the tailcap. Does anybody have experience with this? Is there a way to get the Logan set up the way I want without having any issues with function like this?

Thanks!

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
So that won't cause the light to power on too soon if the clip is installed? Also, it seems the old switches aren't in stock anywhere. Any idea how to get my hands on one?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand how the clip could prevent the light from working?
Since the light is twist activated it is easily twisted the extra thickness of a clip enough to make contact and take up any slack,isn't it?

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two issues: overall length of the negative contact, and the pressure required for proper operation of the QTC.

Peak's momentary switch consists of the following parts:

(1) Switch body with an external o-ring. These bodies have been manufactured only in SS or brass, and in just one size. The body is threaded either directly into the body of the light, or into an adapter, depending on the flashlight body.
(2) Button with an o-ring. SS or brass. Just one size. This is inserted into the aft end of the switch body. The front end of the button has a female thread to accept the battery contact piston.
(3) Button return spring. This beefy spring is housed within the body of the momentary switch. When manually compressed, it allows completion of the electrical circuit. Spring tension at all other times prevents battery contact with the negative terminal.
(4) Piston. Made of brass. At its aft end is a male thread. The piston is inserted into the front end of the switch body, through the button return spring, and then screwed into the front end of the button. This locks these four components together. Pistons are made in three different lengths depending on application. The front end of the piston is bored out to accept the next component.
(5) Piston spring. Tension from the spring itself keeps it inside the piston.
(6) Battery contact button. Brass. Inserted into the piston spring and also held in place by spring tension. When the operating button is depressed, the battery contact button moves forward to contact the negative terminal of the battery, and the small piston spring exerts enough pressure to maintain the closed circuit but not so much that there is any chance of damage to the battery.

These last two components, the piston spring and the battery contact button, have been eliminated in the momentary switches for QTC lights. The reason was simple: the presence of the spring reduces the pressure available for activation of the QTC. In QTC lights, the piston is solid and sized specifically for the travel the QTC requires. A pocket clip which is mounted forward of the momentary switch places the switch further aft and therefore requires a longer piston in order to reach the QTC.

Peak has produced threaded pistons over the years in a total of four different lengths and its possible one of the older, longer pistons would work fine with a pocket clip. Some time ago in one of his clever Peak mods, MWClint simply replaced a piston with a properly sized rod made from a brass nail.

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
So does anybody have any experience with the darksucks pocket clip and picking the right tailcap? I could use some advice picking the right one. Does Peak offer them direct? Because I didn't see a way to order them on their website.

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
I have one its great. Its hi cri SS logan with momentary and gen 2 qtc and dark sucks clip. It definitely has the old style momentary, the one with the spring contact.

You have to email them, it may be hard to get a reply, but it is possible. Good luck on you quest...

here is a picture to make you jealous.
logans_zps205a19d5.jpg

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
Robyn brought over my replacement yesterday. It's got a momentary now and I LOVE it! I'll probably be picking up another one with a cool LED next time around. :)

arcane

Newly Enlightened
I've got a 123 Logan w/ the newer (i.e. shorter) QTC switch. I installed a Dark Sucks Ti pocket clip and the only configuration that works is w/ an Ultrafire 16340 and QTC removed. The Ultrafire is about 2mm longer than a SF123 so it makes contact perfectly. So now the light is a single mode (HI only) momentary and I can tighten the head for constant ON.

arcane

Newly Enlightened
the newer (i.e. shorter) QTC switch
I bought the 123 Logan w/ the New Gen 2 QTC.
However, I'm not using the "QTC" bits & pieces between the momentary plunger and battery.

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
I've ordered a Peak Logan with momentary switch ect. Unfortunately i couldn't get the clip as i cant find one! can someone tell me the diameter of the hole to mount it to the flashlight and the thickness of the metal used on the clip? I will get hold of some steel and make one!