Laluz Optics L800

300winmag

Enlightened
After a complete failure with 2 TR-DF003's I am contemplating buying 4 Laluz Optics L800 video lights. http://www.laluzoptics.com/L800.html
A big plus for me is they run on 26650 batteries, I already have 8 of these from my aliexpress fiasco.

I have read a lot of good reviews on these lights, Small but powerful, run on a single 26650, 80deg beam and on and on.
However I can't find an expert review of these lights. "It's super bright" just doesn't do it for me. It claims 800 lumens, is that OTF? 90min runtime at 100% correct?
What are the pro's thoughts on this light??

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Underwater, the thermals are okay. The Cree XM-L T6 LED, to output 800 lumen OTF, would have to generate something like 1000 lumen at the LED (Using a WAG of wide optic efficiency of 80%). That takes 10W, and a top-end 26650 has about 4 amp*hours at 3.6v, or 14 watt*hours. So in theory, at ten watts, this light could output about 1.4 hours of light. But that assumes a super premium battery, a quite efficient driver, and that my optics guess is accurate or conservative.

tl;dr, it could be as good as they say.

3D87C4

Newly Enlightened
Hey, 3D diver here,

I was going to mention these lights in your scuba board thread, but was under the impression you were making your own.

Jak Crow on the board dives with them and they are impressive---bright, uniform light with a good spread. They have a pretty sharp edge, though, which might show up as you blend them.

I shot some clips of his lights projecting into some stirred up sand to document the beam angle. You can see them in this video:

Jak Crow

Newly Enlightened
I'm the Jak Crow mentioned above. I love these lights. They're bright as hell and have a fantastic wide angle beam. I had previously used a light & motion sola 1200, but was unhappy with the battery life. The L800s last for more than three 1 hour dives on one 26650 4000mah battery with the lights running on medium. I will usually swap batteries after the 3rd dive, but when I haven't, they've still gone strong. I just ordered a 5000mah battery and I'll see how long it lasts. I think this night dive video shows the lights off a lot better:

You can see me starting at 1:38, with the lights at medium if I remember correctly, and again at 7:00 with them set on high. I use the sola 1200 as a hand held spot now.

3D87C4

Newly Enlightened
FWIW: I'm the other diver in that video, but one of my lights was on the fritz.

I've got my video edited, just need to record some music and add titles...should be posted this weekend.