• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Obi's NEW? Rapid Level Changing Technique!

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize for using such a provocative title for such a simple idea. I have been doing this for a while, but have never read about it on the forum. I actually discovered it by watching my boy dropping a light on the bottom of the bath tub to achieve the same effect. So I thought I would post to see if anyone else uses their McGizmo tools in this manner.

1. Turn on your favorite McGizmo. For example, pull out your Hi CRI mule, and click it on.

2. Hold the light in one hand and smack the tail with the heel of your other hand with some force in rapid succession. The important thing is to hit on a harder part of your body so it stops quick. If you are not a wimp, a knuckle works great, and looks cool, too.

And? Get it?

I actually find it easier to sorta reverse that by rapping the tail of the light into the heel of my hand, rather than spanking the light.

If you don't get it to work with only a little bump, try it first on a table top or your knees. You need a hard surface, not a hard hit.

I would make a video, but it is soooo simple it seems pretentious to do so.

obi

VBAjedi

Newly Enlightened
I think the key here is "looks cool"! And lets be honest, for most of us that factors in at least a LITTLE bit into what light we carry and how we use it. :laughing:

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are causing the battery to compress, breaking the circuit between the battery anode and the LE. This causes the same effect as a momentary pulse of the switch, hence the level change.

eala

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery is likely compressing less than the spring between that and the switch. I am sure I am breaking the circuit momentarily. I am not claiming to have found an Easter egg.

In any case, it only requires a love tap and seems esp. suited to LEs that require quick blinks to change levels like Don's.

I cannot imagine this to be a damaging level of bumping.

This method works great in a pinch even if you don't default to it.

obi

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if your battery is really on the short side or if your switch has a weak spring but there is no way I can break the circuit on mine by just a "love tap". Would require a much more violent hit than that.