LED Floodlight for BackYard

rock324

Newly Enlightened
I'm building a new home and would like to install a decent but not overly expensive LED floodlight in my backyard. I am going to mount 2, 1 on each corner of the house in the soffit. My yard is about 60 ft wide and about 60ft deep. I don't need anything obnoxious, but would like it reach close to back of property line. We've already run the wires for these and they will be controlled by a switch inside. I'm a newbie to this so please feel free to give me some basic suggestions on what types of lights I should look into buying. Thanks for any info.

brickbat

Enlightened
Not what you want to hear, but I'd screw a 100W incandescent flood in and call it a day. In a year or 2 when it burns out, buy a LED replacement. IMHO LED floodlamps are on the verge of being a decent, cost effective choice. They're getting better FAST... But today, they're expensive, and not super efficient.

I'd also install more that just 2 sockets if you want to cover the whole yard. Flood lamp beams are typically about 60 degrees wide. Two of them isn't exactly optimum...

made in china

Newly Enlightened
I agree, buy those weatherproof flood light holders for PAR38 lamps and use whatever you can get for now. Definitely don't waste money on a LED fixture as it'll be out of date in a year or 2. Screw-in LED lamps are getting real good, and will be serviceable for decades to come.

I'm not a fan of dedicated LED fixtures, any problems in the future and you'll be forced replace an entire fixture and it won't match other fixtures.

rock324

Newly Enlightened
I agree, buy those weatherproof flood light holders for PAR38 lamps and use whatever you can get for now. Definitely don't waste money on a LED fixture as it'll be out of date in a year or 2. Screw-in LED lamps are getting real good, and will be serviceable for decades to come.

I'm not a fan of dedicated LED fixtures, any problems in the future and you'll be forced replace an entire fixture and it won't match other fixtures.

Can you give a link or brand of fixture that you all are referring to? Want something bright that has 2 adjustable heads that can be mounted in soffit. thanks

SkOrPn

Newly Enlightened
Definitely don't waste money on a LED fixture as it'll be out of date in a year or 2. I'm not a fan of dedicated LED fixtures, any problems in the future and you'll be forced replace an entire fixture and it won't match other fixtures.
Why would they stop making these LED's? I have a smaller 15w version (only 4" x 3"), similar to the one below your post and wondering if I can replace the LED with something better. I purchased it because it was only 20 bucks and I liked the 4" metal box it came in. Anything bigger will get massive amounts of winter ice collecting on it since the roof overhang is only 5" or so. Yes the flood needs to tuck under the overhang. I need about 1500 lumens or more in a tiny package like this. Screw in fixtures will not be tiny with a small 1/2" footprint like this I do not think.

I need to take it apart and see if Cree has something that will fit possibly.