if you wander over to the County Comm page, there's now a new CR123A based LED Copper Maratac up.
I just placed my order for one and will be updating this post with pics when I get it, my thoughts on the light and its beam, etc. I'll try and answer any questions y'all have when I get it as best I can and update this post when necessary. (Please be aware I do not have a lux meter or anything like that )
Here's what we do know:
- Cree XM-L T6 (see specs)
- over three times heavier than AAA Cu Maratac (to be expected due to larger battery bay?)
---- Weight: 94 grams vs. 27 grams (94g = CR123 version; 27g = AAA version-- both weights when empty)
- 3 modes like the old(er) Rev. 1 Maratacs
---- current rev. 2 AAA and AA lights all use TWO modes (as far as I know)
- same claimed incompatibility with 4.2/3.7 volt cells.
Here's what we would like to know (I can offer more insight hopefully when I receive mine):
- can you swap out the driver to anything like a GDuP?
---- based on my conversations with modders here, the AAA version uses a small pill that isn't really replaceable by anything already made, however, the wider diameter of the CR123A version may open up a few possibilities for driver swaps if needed.
- does it actually have compatibility with 4.2/3.7v cells?
- will it run on LiFePO4 cells?
- does it use PWM? is it noticeable?
- is the Cree XM-L mounted on a plate for easy/easier modding potentially?
- how many will be produced? Is it truly a limited run?
- are its lumens ratings at the emitter or OTF (out the front)?
- will it have enough copper to install tritium vials in?
Specifications (copied and pasted directly from the CountyComm page with minor formatting by me):
The Copper CR123 was made for one our chief executives and was liked so much by staff it made it into production. Here is your chance to get a very limited EDC / Preppers light with a 10 year shelf life when using a Lithium CR123.
Copper will oxidize with time and look different everyday with use. Copper can be cleaned to look new with Lemon Juice or Tarnex with a polishing cloth.
- Length: 2.7" Diameter: .75"‚
- Weight: 94 Grams Without Battery
- Comes with extra o-ring
- LED Type: Cree T6 with a life span up to 50,000 hours. (Focused Beam With Great Spread)
- Flashlight body is made of solid copper billet.
- The deep aluminum alloy reflector has an orange peel relector for a smooth beam
- Its proprietary circuit design features reverse polarity protection and runs off of one CR123 battery that provides 3 levels of operation
---- Twist on for Low
---- Twist on again for Medium
---- Twist on again for High
-------- 3 Second Memory and then resets
Using a single CR123 Cell battery we got the following results:
---- Low mode, 1.8 lumens output for up to 200 hours
---- Medium mode, 50 lumens output for up to 4.5 Hours
---- High mode, 260 lumens output for up to 1.5 Hours
Introductory Price $48.50
The Maratac AAA "Cu" (CPF)
Maratac AAA Cu Tarnish Progression (CPF)
Maratac AA Cu (copper) (CPF)