NEW Maratac Copper (Cu) CR123 XM-L LED Flashlight Available

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you wander over to the County Comm page, there's now a new CR123A based LED Copper Maratac up.

I just placed my order for one and will be updating this post with pics when I get it, my thoughts on the light and its beam, etc. I'll try and answer any questions y'all have when I get it as best I can and update this post when necessary. (Please be aware I do not have a lux meter or anything like that :()

Here's what we do know:
- Cree XM-L T6 (see specs)
- over three times heavier than AAA Cu Maratac (to be expected due to larger battery bay?)
---- Weight: 94 grams vs. 27 grams (94g = CR123 version; 27g = AAA version-- both weights when empty)
- 3 modes like the old(er) Rev. 1 Maratacs
---- current rev. 2 AAA and AA lights all use TWO modes (as far as I know)
- same claimed incompatibility with 4.2/3.7 volt cells.

Here's what we would like to know (I can offer more insight hopefully when I receive mine):
- can you swap out the driver to anything like a GDuP?
---- based on my conversations with modders here, the AAA version uses a small pill that isn't really replaceable by anything already made, however, the wider diameter of the CR123A version may open up a few possibilities for driver swaps if needed.
- does it actually have compatibility with 4.2/3.7v cells?
- will it run on LiFePO4 cells?
- does it use PWM? is it noticeable?
- is the Cree XM-L mounted on a plate for easy/easier modding potentially?
- how many will be produced? Is it truly a limited run?
- are its lumens ratings at the emitter or OTF (out the front)?
- will it have enough copper to install tritium vials in?

Specifications (copied and pasted directly from the CountyComm page with minor formatting by me):
The Copper CR123 was made for one our chief executives and was liked so much by staff it made it into production. Here is your chance to get a very limited EDC / Preppers light with a 10 year shelf life when using a Lithium CR123.

Copper will oxidize with time and look different everyday with use. Copper can be cleaned to look new with Lemon Juice or Tarnex with a polishing cloth.

Specifications:
- Length: 2.7" Diameter: .75"'
- Weight: 94 Grams Without Battery
- Comes with extra o-ring
- LED Type: Cree T6 with a life span up to 50,000 hours. (Focused Beam With Great Spread)
- Flashlight body is made of solid copper billet.
- The deep aluminum alloy reflector has an orange peel relector for a smooth beam
- Its proprietary circuit design features reverse polarity protection and runs off of one CR123 battery that provides 3 levels of operation
---- Twist on for Low
---- Twist on again for Medium
---- Twist on again for High
-------- 3 Second Memory and then resets

Using a single CR123 Cell battery we got the following results:
---- Low mode, 1.8 lumens output for up to 200 hours
---- Medium mode, 50 lumens output for up to 4.5 Hours
---- High mode, 260 lumens output for up to 1.5 Hours

Introductory Price $48.50

Further Reading:
The Maratac AAA "Cu" (CPF)
Maratac AAA Cu Tarnish Progression (CPF)
Maratac AA Cu (copper) (CPF)

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal:

---- this may be the first Maratac based on a more modern LED. Older Maratacs have been XP-E I believe.
Actually recent rev.2 lights are not bleeding-edge, but are current and use XP-G LEDS

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Length: 4.1" Diameter: 1.5"'

I always approve of extra long single cell lights, cr123a especially, but WOW 1.5" diameter? That's got to be a mistake- bigger than a surefire L5 head!? Thanks for sharing.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal:

Actually recent rev.2 lights are not bleeding-edge, but are current and use XP-G LEDS
ahhh okay, i was always under the assumption it had always been XP-E lol

i'll edit that line out, thanks for keeping me from look too dumb hahah
I always approve of extra long single cell lights, cr123a especially, but WOW 1.5" diameter? That's got to be a mistake- bigger than a surefire L5 head!? Thanks for sharing.

no problem man! yeah I was thinking the exact same thing, I think maybe they mean .5 inches or something?

datiLED is installing a GDuP in my 4Sevens Quark Ti CR123 twisty light and I'm assuming these two lights must be roughly the same diameter given the battery they take and they're not gonna waste unnecessary copper, you know?

for what it's worth, the GDuP going in my Quark 123 is 0.55" (14mm) in diameter, so something is definitely up here

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at it next to a cr123a, definitely not 1.5" in diameter. That would have been funny though. It would have been the most disproportionate light ever!

fwoqdx.jpg

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
no problem man! yeah I was thinking the exact same thing, I think maybe they mean .5 inches or something?

No, something way off, like copied from another lights' specs by mistake.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
They tested it and reported specs using a D cell battery???:confused:
Look at it next to a cr123a, definitely not 1.5" in diameter. That would have been funny though. It would have been the most disproportionate light ever!

fwoqdx.jpg

agreed with both of you. Actually, though, I don't know if they had too much to drink while they were updating the site, but the other item they added, the "MARATAC™ TLL STROBE LIGHT" has a TON of really bad typos on its product page, too.

Seems strange but pretty funny

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
They don't even have it correct for the AA Copper light.

Copied from thier site:
Using a single Duracell AAA battery we got the following results:

• low mode, 1.8 lumen output for 100 hours
  • high mode, 125 lumen output for 100 minutes

S1LVA

Enlightened
Couldn't resist when I saw this the other day! The original AAA and AA Maratacs are what sparked my initial interest in small flashlights. I prefer the CR123 format for its compact size and high energy output. Once I discovered CR123s, my Maratacs were retired. The copper Maratacs always looked so nice but the AA and AAA batteried were what turned me off. When I saw the new CR123 Maratac the other day, I instantly ordered 2! Got my shipping notification today :)

Can't wait for my new shiny toys to arrive!

S1LVA

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't resist when I saw this the other day! The original AAA and AA Maratacs are what sparked my initial interest in small flashlights. I prefer the CR123 format for its compact size and high energy output. Once I discovered CR123s, my Maratacs were retired. The copper Maratacs always looked so nice but the AA and AAA batteried were what turned me off. When I saw the new CR123 Maratac the other day, I instantly ordered 2! Got my shipping notification today :)

Can't wait for my new shiny toys to arrive!

S1LVA
I agree with you on preferring CR123. Although sometimes I do like having the AAA twisty
Its 0.75" diameter.

gotcha, thanks! they just corrected the product page and i've incorporated the corrections in the OP now

edit: i was talking to another member and he raised a good point: hopefully there's a good enough amount of copper for tritiums. :D

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait to see if this will work with RCR123 protected cells at 3.7v and LiFePO4 3.0v cells.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the previous Maratac lights were just basically re-bodied ITP lights.
They could take the li-ion batteries, but it wasn't an advertised thing. People just did it.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad i stumbled on this thread, thanks for the tip.
i just ordered a pair of them. i think at least one is destined for an xm-l2 upgrade.
they will look great when they patina.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've spent all day trying to resist buying one....

It sure would be nice to know if it can handle RCRs.

If I get one, I'll toss a RCR123 in there to see what it does. My guess is that it will work, however, I don't know how it will effect mode selection. Might go into direct drive like the old Fenix P1D's, rendering it a single mode.