Dimming SMD5050 RGB led strip with Insteon

Status
Not open for further replies.

anarchoi

Newly Enlightened
I first asked my question at the Smarthome forum but they recommended me to come here

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I have two color-changing LED strips (a 5M one and a 1M one).
The LED strips already supports dimming (i can dim them with the remote that came with them).
However, i would prefer to have the dimmer on a wall switch.
So i'm looking to get Instaeon RemoteLinc and LampLinc.

I've used other dimmers previously and it was never working correctly, so i would like to get the confirmation that Insteon will work for my situation before buying it.

Also, do i need to buy the expensive $300 receiver or something else ? Will it work only with RemoteLinc and LampLinc ??

here's my hardware:

This is the strips i am using (a 5M one and a 1M one):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-LED-Str...9815745?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&hash =item35b16a88c1

Here is the receiver and the remote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24key-IR-Re...3551518?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item2327522a1 e

I am using it with a 12V/2A power supply.

I bought this dimmer but it's not working:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160922167917?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1439.l2649
When i switch my led strips on, first it is the wrong color, then at 50% the lights are blinking and it only starts working correctly at 100% brightness

Basically i want to do like this video:
[/FONT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdOBfiMfZzA[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]

here's the answer i got on smarthome forum:
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]The LED strips are SMD5050 RGB with four power connections. Common Anode and an individual Cathode connection for the R, the G and the B LEDs.
The controller is designed to be run by a constant 12 volt source and has all the dimmer and color selection electronics in it. To drive a common anode and individual R, G and B cathode SMD5050 strip.

The dimmer you tried just varies the 12 volts and the controller for the RGB strips doesn't play nice with lower voltages. Also note in the dimmers description. It says single color SMD5050 strips not RGB SMD5050 Strips.

So you would need to find a RGB controller that can properly drive your LED strips with a variable AC power input. From a LampLinc as varying the DC into your present controller will not work.

You may also want to try asking in the Candle Power Forums. Fixed lighting section. They have many members who are doing basically what you want to do.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?89-Fixed-Lighting
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]

[/FONT]

maxnreba

Newly Enlightened
Moved to fixed lighting - Norm

I did just what you're attempting with a Global Cache WF2IR iTach device and some custom electronics. The WF2IR (or you can use an IP2IR) the has a LED Lighting mode where the 3 outputs can be duty cycle controlled from 0 to 100%. The outputs are normally used to drive IR transmitters, so some minimal circuitry needed to be added so it could control the 12V for the LED strips.

I was going to post the schematic here, but I can't figure out how to do it.

The Insteon dimmers can talk to the WF2IR device through an ISY 994i, and so you get regular Insteon control of your RGB LED strips. You can adjust the color with 3 dimmers, one each for R, B, & G.

barnabas1969

Newly Enlightened
I did just what you're attempting with a Global Cache WF2IR iTach device and some custom electronics. The WF2IR (or you can use an IP2IR) the has a LED Lighting mode where the 3 outputs can be duty cycle controlled from 0 to 100%. The outputs are normally used to drive IR transmitters, so some minimal circuitry needed to be added so it could control the 12V for the LED strips.

I was going to post the schematic here, but I can't figure out how to do it.

The Insteon dimmers can talk to the WF2IR device through an ISY 994i, and so you get regular Insteon control of your RGB LED strips. You can adjust the color with 3 dimmers, one each for R, B, & G.
Hello! I want to do exactly what you describe! I want to be able to control dimming and color of LED strips and RGB LED strips. I was not aware of the ability to use a Global Cache device in conjunction with Insteon for this purpose. I would greatly appreciate your schematics. I tried to PM you, but I am not allowed to do so. If a moderator reads this message... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE e-mail me to let me know that you have read this post... and give me permission to PM and/or e-mail maxnreba. I have been seeking the information which he claims to offer for years!

Thank you very much.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Hello! I want to do exactly what you describe! I want to be able to control dimming and color of LED strips and RGB LED strips. I was not aware of the ability to use a Global Cache device in conjunction with Insteon for this purpose. I would greatly appreciate your schematics. I tried to PM you, but I am not allowed to do so. If a moderator reads this message... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE e-mail me to let me know that you have read this post... and give me permission to PM and/or e-mail maxnreba. I have been seeking the information which he claims to offer for years!

Thank you very much.

An old thread. Start your own thread with questions. Closing this.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts