Spy 007 triple

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you know I am nuts about Daves lights. I have several of his Spy lights. I love zanzan's drop ins and mods he has been doing on a variety of lights. So I thought why not on a spy?

The Spy takes a bit of thinking of getting things apart. After a recent mishap that was accidental I realised that to take apart a Soy light you have to be methodical.

SOYCD helped with detailed instructions. I am not going to do this on original lights that I have purchased from Dave directly as I value is warranty cover and the service he provides. Therefore I have decided to do this mod on non warranty lights that were purchased on CPF.

At this stage I am taking measurements and trimming the LED board, optics and heat sink so it fits inside the Spy.

In the picture I haven't pushed the unit down or dropped the LED board yet as I will struggle to get it out - once I tweak it it should fit in under the bezel. This is simply showing my project on getting a tripple Nichia or XPG2 neutral into the spy. I have tried your drop in just to see. As it doesn't need the driver all it will require the LED board glued to a heat sink and optics shaved to fit and the 2 wires connected.

picture to show concept

b16e127ab65529fba6b56456f4cdf0d9.jpg

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting, I can't wait to see the finished product. It would be cool to have a 007 made for flood use, with a 10508 frosted medium optic. You could also drill out the optic posts to install trits :)

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, which 007 did you base it off of? An XP-G or XM-L model? It would be really bright if you used an XM-L model and can run it up to 3 amps

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, which 007 did you base it off of? An XP-G or XM-L model? It would be really bright if you used an XM-L model and can run it up to 3 amps

Ryan.. Interesting point. I was thinking of using the XML host as I could crank it upto 3amps. Since I am considering using the nichia 219 triple board it is rated at max 1.5amps. Do you think it would be prudent to drive it at 3 amps and run each LED at 1amp each. Looking at Mattaus 219 drop in thread there was no tint shift upto 1.5amp per LED.

If anybody has any suggestions let me know. I would rather use the extra capacity of the XML but it is a more costly host as well. If the extra amps mean a lot more heat would the xpg host at 1.4amps be sufficient?

Last edited:

ZanZan

Enlightened
Ryan.. Interesting point. I was thinking of using the XML host as I could crank it upto 3amps. Since I am considering using the nichia 219 triple board it is rated at max 1.5amps. Do you think it would be prudent to drive it at 3 amps and run each LED at 1amp each. Looking at Mattaus 219 drop in thread there was no tint shift upto 1.5amp per LED.

If anybody has any suggestions let me know. I would rather use the extra capacity of the XML but it is a more costly host as well. If the extra amps mean a lot more heat would the xpg host at 1.4amps be sufficient?

Hi Mohan,

Nichia219 is rated at max 1.5amps on each emitter.
So the triple board is all right to 4.5amps.
XP-G2 is the same, too.

zanzan

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Made some progress today. 2 steps forward - 1 backward.

Got the LED board trimmed down along with the optics to fit. During the trimming damaged 1 of the LED's. Got go and trim another board or try and reflow the LED again.

Once this has been done need to mill a small heats ink to fit. At this stage I have simply piggy backed the Tripple to the spy XML to test the concept. It certainly can be achieved albeit with hiccups on the way.

Really pleased at the way the mod can be achieved. Again it is the diddly business of trying to trim the optics and LED board.

Lowest setting

trispy_zpsb9de067f.jpg

Medium setting - 3rd click
tri0072_zps8b24fe83.jpg

Full brightness at 2.5amps

tri007bright_zpsabf826ea.jpg

Now I have the concept working I will take my time to slowly trime the LED board, get thinner gauge wire and install it on a copper heat sink.

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tripple is finished - turned out quite nice. Pleased with it. Difficult to say if there is a real advantage over the XML at 3amps

2013-02-24172845_zps4392da0e.png

2013-02-24173109_zpscbd56683.png

2013-02-24173145_zpsab0c0c1c.png

Light11

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think for short range tasks the triples beam is brighter and floodier than a reflectored XML ....

Dont forget the driver cuts the amps down - cant override that. Heat does not seem to an issue due to this fallback and the little copper heatsink. At the end of the day the biggest issue to me is this any better than anxml behind a reflector. I think the Tripple nichia 219 is worth driving at 3amps just to get that beautiful tint.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good Mohan, is that a frosted optic in there? That's going to give a nice floody beam. Now you need to take a stab at making that turbo head. A flood + throw pair of 007s :)

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good Mohan, is that a frosted optic in there? That's going to give a nice floody beam. Now you need to take a stab at making that turbo head. A flood + throw pair of 007s :)

Normal optic - the original spy lens is reflecting the light.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just had a crazy idea.
I've never taken a SPY apart, and have no desire to, as I would ruin it, BUT,
Just thinking with my fingers...

Is there any possible way of mounting an LED in the KNOB. A Quad V?

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just had a crazy idea.
I've never taken a SPY apart, and have no desire to, as I would ruin it, BUT,
Just thinking with my fingers...

Is there any possible way of mounting an LED in the KNOB. A Quad V?

That might be a challenge as the button is attached in the middle inside using a screw. It would be tricky to get the wies to come through. Anything is possible but it would have to be a neat solution.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking along the lines of a distributor cap ( the old days of cars).
Power through the post/screw in the middle, and then 6 points of contact as the knob turns.