Eagletac SX25A6 has arrived

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
Is this the first one in England? Possibly! Anyway, the SX25A6 arrived half an hour ago, remarkably quickly from the USA for standard USPS airmail. The supplier (Illumination Gear) realised they had sent me the standard version, not the neutral that I had ordered, and there is a neutral head already on its way to me. That might arrive tomorrow.

The tint looks OK to me on this one though, although I will need to get it out in the dark later on to really tell. It is definitely brighter than my LD41 and EA4W, with a much tighter and brighter hotspot than either of them.

It feels great in the hand. Heavy perhaps, compared to the others, but then it does have six eneloops in it. It feels substantial, rather than overly heavy and I certainly don't mind the weight.

The finish is almost perfect, but there is a very small flaw. It looks like one of the ridges on the head has been very slightly knocked, right on the edge, and it shows up as a shiny silver edge about 2mm long, hair thin and just noticeable to a finger nail. Not enough to bother me and I will be exchanging the head anyway, when the neutral one arrives.

I haven't had much chance to play really, and need to go out soon, but my initial thoughts are that it is a very nice flashlight! The only thing that bothers me so far is the mode selection, by twisting the head. I probably misunderstood how it worked, I expected a rotating ring, but instead the whole head including the part with the button rotates on its screw threads. That means that, in modes one or three, the button is offset around the light, from the lettering and, more importantly, from the 'finger' indentations around the body. It means that the switch position changes with respect to the perceived grip.

Edit to add some extra information:

The SX25A6 fits nicely in the LD41's supplied pouch, with the head at the top. In fact I think it fits better than the LD41 itself does! I still loathe Velcro closures though.

A loosening turn of the tailcap seems to do a lock-out. Nice bonus!

Let's have some photos - sorry about the poor quality but my camera is really old and seems to struggle with metering and focus at times.

The box and holster:

IMG_5636a.jpg

Open box:

IMG_5638a.jpg

Nice bag:

IMG_5641a.jpg

Finally, the SX25A6:

IMG_5643a.jpg

The business end:

IMG_5647a.jpg

Ready to load:

IMG_5659a.jpg

Proof that it works:

IMG_5660a.jpg

In hand:

IMG_5661a.jpg

And again:

IMG_5662a.jpg

Offset button in mode 1:

IMG_5665a.jpg

Group shot:
Fenix LD41, Eagletac SX25A6, Nitecore EA4W, Surefire E2D LED Defender, Malkoff MD4, Quark AA, Eneloop

IMG_5670a.jpg

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big question, how does it perform against the Nitecore EA4 and the Fenix LD41 ?

There is no reason to quote the Opening Post in it's entirety - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

dougie

Enlightened
It interests me but I am not keen on twisting the flashlight head to change modes. The 6 x AA batteries is a real draw as is the output but I think I'll wait until the EA8 has hit the shelves before I make up my mind up on which one to get. :)

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
The holster holds the flashlight firmly enough, gripping with the indentations that can be seen in it. It takes a good tug to get the flashlight out again and I doubt it could be shaken loose when being worn on a belt, short of an impact that would need an airbag to survive for the wearer.

There is no way I will use it though. As much as I like to keep a flashlight on my belt, I do not like the lens pointing up and open to whatever might land on or hit it. I'll source a proper closable pouch for it.

On that matter, am I the only one who hates velcro fasteners on almost everything? It's awful! The noise alone is enough to put me off, never mind what happens when mud gets in the velcro and makes it useless, or the loops start tearing... Anyway, back on topic...

I'm definitely not sold on the twisting-head adjustment because it moves the button, requiring a change of grip. It's the only thing spoiling the SX25A6 for me. It also feels quite easy to turn, too easy, and just a couple of rotations unscrews the head totally. I can probably make it stiffer to turn with my usual Nyogel 779ZC lubricant. I'll wait until I get my replacement head before messing though.

Regarding the EA8: I really hope Nitecore have been paying attention to the button issues. If they have, then that might well be a contender for me too. Otherwise I don't think I will bother with it, as much as I like the EA4 in every other way than the button.

Last edited:

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
The big question, how does it perform against the Nitecore EA4 and the Fenix LD41 ?

I finally got a few minutes to get out in the dark. No pictures unfortunately, although I doubt they would work out with my camera anyway. I'll give a subjective opinion based on ten minutes' flashing...

Executive summary: The Eagletac definitely outshines the LD41 and EA4W, by a long way!

There is still a lot of snow on the ground around here, but there is enough visible green and brown stuff too. I only bothered with the maximum mode on each flashlight.

Stood in part of my garden that is about 8m wide, in the centre about 6m away from a knee-high wall, the LD41 lit up just about edge to edge of the 8m width with very usable spill. The centre of the beam headed out across the field, lighting up the snow and giving bright and good visibility in that centre for about 30m, where the field dropped away down a slope. Browns and greens were washed out, as expected, and the snow looked crisp white, with a hint of blue-white.

The EA4W illuminated about 6m of the 8m width with its spill, a little less brightly than the LD41 but still bright at this distance. The centre beam lit up the field more brightly than the LD41, but not enough to make a real difference at my limited range here. What was most noticeable was the colour rendering. The green and brown growing things and old shed actually looked green and brown. The snow took on an almost warm tone; it looked quite inviting rather than icy cold.

Now, the SX25A6... This blew the other two away in terms of brightness and reach. It also still illuminated about 6m of the 8m width, just as brightly as the LD41. I pointed all of them at the snow at my feet before aiming them down the garden. Only the SX25A6 made me want to squint with the brightness. I did it last and wasn't expecting such a difference! The tint of the SX25A6 seems similar to the LD41, perhaps a touch more neutral as the snow seemed particularly white instead of slightly blue-white. I could not see any significant difference in the blues and greens though. It will be interesting to see what the neutral head looks like.

I also noticed that the SX25A6 made it easier to see into the distant field with less 'interference' from the foliage lining the sides of the garden, particularly compared to the LD41. I guess the increased difference in brightness between hot-spot and spill is responsible for that.

I know which light I would grab if something went bump in the night, or just to light up a long way. It's the SX25A6 that will be accompanying me on my night hikes for long range spotting.

For general use around the garden though, it will probably be the LD41 I reach for, even though the EA4W gives better colours. It just seems a little more friendly for garden-range use, as well as simpler to operate. Of course, if I keep my Malkoff M60W instead of selling it as I planned, that is still the best short range floodlight.

All of that seems to make the EA4W a little redundant for me... I'm sure I'll find a place for it though.

I can't wait to get the neutral head for the Eagletac!

tallyram

Newly Enlightened
I have an MX25L2 and I usually hold the head of the light with one hand and turn the battery tube. Also, I pick one level and the light stays there most of the time. When I need turbo I can just hold down the switch the same way your light works. I really never noticed the switch moving until your posts above. Are the above characteristics deal breakers for you or are you keeping the light?

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Tallyram. Having now actually bothered to read the instructions, I was coming to a similar conclusion regarding staying in one level and holding down the button for full. It makes sense as most of the time I won't want full brightness for long anyway. Probably standard mode would work for me with 40%/100% levels.

It certainly is not a deal breaker anyway, I like the flashlight far too much for that. My disappointment was probably more due to expecting it to work differently than it being really bad.

---

I've just found out that the SX25A6 fits nicely in the LD41's supplied pouch, with the head at the top. In fact I think it fits better than the LD41 itself does! I still loathe Velcro closures though.

Also, a loosening turn of the tailcap seems to do a lock-out. Nice bonus!

Last edited:

tallyram

Newly Enlightened
The lockout is nice and doesn't require much movement of the tailcap. How are the threads? The ones on my ET are soooooo smooth!

Miracle

Enlightened
though I am not too sure why, I was advised to get the non neutral version of this light....

which of the two light outputs more lumen?

which of the two lights lasts longer?

are you able to buy the heads separately from the body?

:/

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
though I am not too sure why, I was advised to get the non neutral version of this light....

which of the two light outputs more lumen?

which of the two lights lasts longer?

are you able to buy the heads separately from the body?

:/

The Cool White XMLU2 Eagletac has been using the last year is a really nice premium white tint. I have 2 of them, and they are a beautiful pure white. The Neutral White XML Eagletac has been using is a bit yellowish, almost warm really.

The typical reason people say to get a Neutral White XML is to avoid the common greenish tint they can have sometimes. So far, Eagletac has not had any greenish XML tints I have heard complaints about.

So to sum up, if you are not a tint snob, or do not need the use of a warmer tint, when it comes to the recent Eagletac XMLU2, it's likely to have a nice white tint.

Cool White is on average about 10% brighter than Neutral White. It also has what is considered to be a bright crisp look to it.

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
The dealer is only sending me a replacement head because they shipped the wrong model to me - it's probably cheaper to post (international post) just the head and for me to return the wrong head, rather than the whole flashlight. I very much doubt that it is available for sale separately.

I don't know if it's relevent to say here, but I will: Illumination Gear's service to me has been absolutely top-notch!

With regards the tint, I read the recommendation to get the cool version, and very nearly, almost, did. Having now seen it, I might just ask if I can keep what they sent me by originally and return the replacement. The 'cool' head really made the snow look pure white; even my wife (who had been watching through the window) commented that it did so. I still will compare it with the neutral head though when it arrives (likely today or tomorrow), since I have been given the opportunity.

smw1138

Newly Enlightened
I'm definitely not sold on the twisting-head adjustment..... I can probably make it stiffer to turn with my usual Nyogel 779ZC lubricant. I'll wait until I get my replacement head before messing though.

I have the same feeling about my MX25L2. I would prefer a bit more resistance to the twist action. Maybe a thicker O-ring would help? I'll give it a go and post results.

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
It might be intentionally easy to turn to allow it to be turned with one hand. I can do it quite easily using my thumb and forefinger, with the other three fingers gripping the body. Much stiffer and it would be hard to do that.

I would still prefer it stiffer though, I think. It's not that often that I'll want to change the mode, nor do I want it changing accidentally if I twist a little as I'm pulling the flashlight out of a pouch or something.. The 779ZC is quite thick stuff, so will probably do the job.

My neutral head has just arrived (literally as I was typing) but I need to go out in a few minutes. I'll try it out tonight if I get chance and compare things.

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
I need to return one of the heads to Illumination Gear tomorrow, so I've just given them both a try out in the garden and across the field. I don't know which to keep...

The XM-L U2 does seem a very 'white' white, especially when pointing at the remaining snow. It has great throw across the field. I can't detect any hint of blueness. It's gorgeous!

The T6 definitely shows greens and browns more richly though, and some odd foliage that looked silvery-green with the U2 looks green with the T6. I can't see any particular yellow tint with the T6.

It is difficult to tell if the U2 is any brighter or has more range (I'm not sure that the small difference between them should be noticeable). At about 40m, the most I can manage here, the U2 at first appears a little brighter but then there are a lot of snow patches which are showing up particularly well with the U2, while the green looks deeper green and so a little darker. So I think the T6 just shows more contrast rather than being noticeably dimmer.

There's no guarantee that my eyes are perfect though, not that it matters since I'm choosing a light for me.

The final note: The replacement T6 head doesn't fit the same as the original head. The switch is on the opposite side to the '< Adj >' lettering when screwed home. Not really a killer, just a bit odd.

So, come tomorrow morning, I think I'm going to have to flip a coin!

MIKES250R

Enlightened
I just received my cool white SX25A6 yesterday. I couldn't wait for the sun to go down. I popped in some freshly topped off Loops and off I went. So far I really like it. I also recently purchased a cool white version of the Nitecore EA4, so I had it on hand for a direct comparison. Their color temp appeared to be close, warmer than one might think, not blue or purple at all. The color on the SX25A6 is slightly warmer and more pleasing. The hotspots and spills of both lights are quite similar. At 100 feet the EA4 really holds its own. However, stretching things out beyond that the Eagletac overtakes the Nitecore by a substantial amount. I am not an expert but I find their outputs, battery capacity and size to be proportional. The EA holds 4 AAs and puts out a Nitecore rated 860 lumens and the SX25A6 holds 6 AAs and is rated for over 1130 lumens according to Eagletac. That's roughly an increase of 34% in battery capacity, size and output. To my eye that seems to be fairly accurate as at 100 yards the SX25A6 appears to be 30% brighter. I love AA driven lights as I have a ton of Loops laying around. I am anxious to see how the Caveman EA8 will fare when it's released. Will it be 34% brighter than the SX25A6 ? The SX25A6 is a nice light. It exudes quality. The EA4 is a nice high quality light too. I think I will keep both. :) These shots were from 150 feet.

m9awqe.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/29qfrzm.jpg

Your image is too large and has been replaced with a link. Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac SX25A6 is:
925 ANSI lumens
35,000 lux@1m

The Nitecore EA4 is:
860 ANSI lumens
20,000 lux@1m

However, Eagletac has the GX25A3 3AA coming out and Nitecore has the EA8 8AA coming out.

So that is a 3AA, 4AA, 6AA, and 8AA model to choose from.

Last edited:

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
I'm especially interested in the GX25A3. From the combined (with the SX25A6) manual it has 738 ANSI lumens with 1.2 hours runtime (might be 'turbo' with step-down like the A6 though) and can take 14500 Li-ions!

Did I say I was trying to move away from Li-ion??? Silly me...