• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Changing the 'level'...possible?

russde

Newly Enlightened
Alrighty, I'm a bit of a newb to Peaks and lights in general...oh hell, I'm a rank newb.
I've just purchased a level 3 El Capitan in brass, I understand what that means...but is there a way to change it? In other words, after I get the light, if I decide that is just isn't bright enough for whatever job I decide to assign it can the power be ramped up?
It's ok if not, I have places that I don't need 80 lumens or 70 or even 100, I'd just like to know if that's an option.
thanks,
Russel

archimedes

Flashaholic
....I've just purchased a level 3 El Capitan in brass, I understand what that means...but is there a way to change it? In other words, after I get the light, if I decide that is just isn't bright enough for whatever job I decide to assign it can the power be ramped up?
It's ok if not, I have places that I don't need 80 lumens or 70 or even 100, I'd just like to know if that's an option.
thanks,
Russel

Ummm ... not really :eek:

The resistor is potted (sealed) into the electronics essentially permanently.

You could lower the output with a QTC, but not raise it.

russde

Newly Enlightened
Thanks much for the replies.
I kind of figured that this would be the case...justification to get a couple 14500's, right?

Exactly. Though the LEs are potted, the brightness can increase dramatically with higher voltage cells. One of the best things about Peak lights is their broad acceptance of virtually any like-sized cell.

russde

Newly Enlightened
Got the light in yesterday, came with a AA lithium primary...light is good, not great, but it will definitely do the job. 14500's on the way in the post...:)