Mountable Bezel Idea NEED YOUR INPUT!

Interested?

• Yes, definitely interested! (Possibly multiple units)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely interested in one unit.

• Possibly interested, on the fence right now.

• Not interested at all.

• Total voters

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My father (FlashlightDR) and I once have an idea for a part that would be very useful for one of our projects and would like to see if YOU are interested.

The first light we have made from scratch together is a wooden box. We put lots of LEDs on the top with two switches (low and high) and put some batteries inside the box. Pretty dandy light if you ask me. Next we thought of another idea. A <font color="blue">luxeon</font> light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In order to do this though we would need to mount the lux on some sort of heatsink and then mount that on the box. We would also need some sort of optics, but they would be fully exposed and would not be attached. Hmmmmmm...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

So along comes our big idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

How about a custom part that holds your luxeon star, and optics, lens, and o-ring, (like a flashlight bezel) but mountable! We looked around to see how much it would cost to get something like this made, and it's fairly expensive. FlashlightDR had the idea of maybe doing a run of, say 100, and selling 98 or so on CPF. Well FlashlightDR's co-worker's friend owns a machine shop here in Santa Barbara, so we stopped by. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

<font color="red">*********************************************************</font>

FlashlightDR and I are considering making a run of 100 mountable bezels.

Here is exactly what they would be....
<ul type="square"> [*]Constructed of aluminum (good heatsinking) [*]NX05/McFlood/Fraen-LP Capable [*]Uses any luxeon star (1 watt, III, or 5 watt) [*]Uses Mini-Mag/McLux size lens [*]Mountable on a flat surface with two screws [/list]

This is basically a luxeon star flashlight head (almost like the McLux) but mountable. It would not include a luxeon star or optics for sure. We will probably (but not definitely) include the lens and o-ring. The batteries/power would be exterior to the mountable bezel. The rough cost (please don't quote me on this) would be somewhere between $20 and $40 per unit.

We discussed our idea with the machinist and he is very interested in our idea and says he would be glad to make this happen for us. Before entering the prototype phase, FlashlightDR and I would like to get your input!

<font color="red">We welcome all comments and suggestions!</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Feel free to post, e-mail me ( [email protected] ) or PM me.

Thank you very much! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerd,

Unfortunately there is nothing to take pictures of. We do have a basic idea and rough measurements, but no prototype yet.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
fa8f464b.jpg

<font color="red">Luxeon Star</font>
<font color="blue">Optics</font>
<font color="green">Heatsink (part of body)</font>
<font color="black">Lens and o-ring</font>

This is a very rough drawing, and I can assure you the final product will look more finished and professional than this simple paint picture.

There will be two screws for the luxeon star. There will be two screws going through the two sides of the green area that will facen the whole assembly.

TheFire

Enlightened
I'm still not seeing quite how this is useful. Get a prototype made (find someone with a lathe and lots of patience) so we can see more clearly what it is you're talking about. The paint picture is indistinguishable from a mockup of just about any luxeon based flashlight bezel. How is it to be mounted? I guess I just don't quite understand how this thing is to be used... like wire it into the house and use it as interior or bench lighting? I think the stalk lights are a little better suited for that...

Sorry, I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to understand just what it is that you're proposing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

Basically the purpose of this is to be able to attach a luxeon to a flat surface (a box, a wall, bench, table, etc.). You use two screw to mount it. And yes, it could be used inside. As far as wiring goes, you would need to run the wires from inside the bottom of the mountable bezel to your electricity source.

I'm sorry I'm not doing a very good job describing this. I guess I probably need to get a prototype made and take lots of pictures.

I understand what you are saying and that your not trying to be negative. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts