Is there a "big gun" review comparasion?

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
Is there a apples to apples review of all the new high lumen led lights out (above 2000 Lm). Examples Zebralight SB330b: Jet beam ddr 3600 Lm: Nitecore TM26? I know there are several more. I want to get one. But not sure how to tell when the advertised lumens are true.

Really a statement of how honest the different vendors Lm claims have historically been might be the most I can hope for. Its probably unrealistic to think someone is going to plunk down that kind of cash to compare them all.

Also maybe its me. But it seems different vendors are using different way to describe throw. That is something I need to get my head around before I get one of these.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt has a list of similar big lights, but he doesn't have all the new ones.

The [ candelas (cd) peak beam intensity = 1lux@1m = lux ] numbers listed should be pretty close as it's easy to estimate with a light meter.

However, that number is entirely dependent on the max output of the light upon initial activation. It will steadily decrease as the light gets hot and the batteries are drained.

When a light has the ANSI FL-1 Standard lumens at Turbo, it is an estimate taken at 30 seconds. The light will have a thermal and/or timed stepdown after that. In addition, the cells are being depleted rapidly with a steadily declining output.

It is better to look at a runtime graph that Selfbuilt has made for the lights he has tested. His most recent Zebralight SC52 review explains why a runtime graph is more revealing than the initial ANSI FL-1 Standard lumen output estimates.

The Nitecore TM26 is a 4 x XML light and should be the brightest and biggest.

The Zebralight S6330 is by far the smallest, but has a rapid thermal stepdown decreasing output pretty quickly. It is also the floodiest 3 x XML light.

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
I was kinda familiar with selfbuilt, as I had read his "thrower" review not to long ago. But wholly crap! (lol) that link you provided: whew that's impressive.

Is there anything that is like a vendor CPF rating? I have bought several lights from Zebra. I really like and trust that the products they sell are close to what they advertise. But I know I am not sharing anything new when I say its not only easy to find misrepresented spec's and the same lights. Its almost hard not to. And I would go a step further thinking that 95% or better of the general public would have no way of knowing they were mislead. So from a vendor standpoint. Its a pretty safe scam.

BTW thanks for the answer

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore TM26 specs just came out. I'd get it.

8434746266_29660439ec_c.jpg