Maglight 3D with a 5*Cree R2 1200-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module

Donnie1992

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I am a self proclaimed flashlight newbie here and i am looking to mod my old Maglite 3D cell.
I have bhought myself a 5*Cree R2 1200-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module (52.7mm*42mm/8.4V Max) Full Specs here.
Now i made the module fit the top part (reflector housing and such) and it screws into my maglite fine. But the problem is that the + spring isnt touching anything.
My question is, how do i safely get the + spring to connect to the right contact point on the maglight without shorting everything out.
I have some soldering/tinkering knowledge, so if somebody could explain what connection i need to make, that would be great.
Thanks in advance!

Don

karusel

Newly Enlightened
I made a ring to go on that part in the torch wide enough for the spring to touch it. Sometimes though, I've been losing contact, then, after a couple of years, the plastic in the inner part (positive?) where there is a small spring, got rubbed through somehow and there was a short-circuit, the heat then fried the driver, and the rechargeable D's got destroyed.

Now I did what I should have done in the first place, and I haven't seen anyone propose this solution. Since you cannot focus your beam anymore, the head does not require springs for contact, the contacts can be soldered via wires..

1. disassemble the mag and take out the switch part
2. cut the top of it off so that you can solder two wires - on the + one to the -
3. insert the switching part, but don't screw it in yet
4. pull the wires through the top of the torch and solder them to the driver/drop-in
5. screw on the head of the torch (with the drop-in inside of course) all the way make sure it's tight
6. align the switching part and tighten that little screw inside

Donnie1992

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so i can't just make a contact to the outer light housing (the part where the normal light sits)
Then i will probably buy a 6d and use that as my main (dirt cheap btw under 30 euros - 40 Dollars)
And use my 3d to do this mod on :p.

Donnie1992

Newly Enlightened
Also, im very interested in getting rechargeble batteries for my 3D.
Any recommendation, i've seen some people that use AA Batteries.
Are those better/ give more output or what?

donn_

Flashaholic
FiveMega is selling an adapter made specifically for your drop-in. It's here. No soldering or switch alteration required. Get the 8.4V version and run 2x 32650 cells with a spacer in your 3D Maglite.

Last edited:

Donnie1992

Newly Enlightened
FiveMega is selling an adapter made specifically for your drop-in. It's here. No soldering or switch alteration required. Get the 8.4V version and run 2x 32650 cells with a spacer in your 3D Maglite.
Wouldn't it also work if i just had that brass negative connector?

Donnie1992

Newly Enlightened
Finally getting back to this thread.
I finally got everything together but im looking to get some rechargeable batterys for my flashlight?
Im also looking to go bigger to like a 4D or even a 6D flashlight.
What would be the best way to go to have a flashlight with this drop in module and battery setup?
Also looking into the 32650 or 18650 batteries or even rechargeable D cells.

djjeffa

Newly Enlightened
Finally getting back to this thread.
I finally got everything together but im looking to get some rechargeable batterys for my flashlight?
Im also looking to go bigger to like a 4D or even a 6D flashlight.
What would be the best way to go to have a flashlight with this drop in module and battery setup?
Also looking into the 32650 or 18650 batteries or even rechargeable D cells.

So how bright is it with them leds? I have a 6d and a 3d I'm looking to mod one. Just wondering if its worth it?

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2