PK Design Lab
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: **NEW** Nitecore EA8

Enlightened

Default **NEW** Nitecore EA8

I was poking around and came upon a link. 900 lumes for 2 hours and 60000cd! Looks like a pretty nice light. Im very tempted to pick one up.

Heres the link to there product guide. Its a little ways down
    http://www.nitecore.com/UploadFile/F...log_En_web.pdf
    Last edited by T-roc87; 03-05-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Default Re: NEW Nitecore EA8

Yeah, there's a video from ShotShow with the Ea8 in it
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Hopefully it will be released soon.

I hope the price will be 90 or below. That'd be nice.

Wonder how it'll compare to the tk41. hmmmmm

Good stuff! Its so nice to see alot of effort to non lithium powered lights! Im definitely getting this one.

Enlightened

I saw the shot show video but the representative didn't give any correct info on it even though i wish he was right when he said around 2000 lumens!

Hopefully 900 lumens for 2 hours doesn't actually mean 900 lumens for 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by T-roc87 View Post
    I was poking around and came upon a link. 900 lumes for 2 hours and 60000cd! Looks like a pretty nice light. Im very tempted to pick one up.

Heres the link to there product guide. Its a little ways down
    http://www.nitecore.com/UploadFile/F...log_En_web.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    Hopefully 900 lumens for 2 hours doesn't actually mean 900 lumens for 20 minutes.
    Nope, it means put it in turbo: 900 for 3~5 minutes and then...whatever it drops to, for the remaining 1:55 minutes...then replace or recharge da batts.

Nearly a half pound of AA batteries? Come on now. Still going to be impressive as hell though.
    GOOD TINT!

The EA4 is brilliant for walking the dog. Not too big and plenty bright enough before I need turbo for the odd 'what's that' event. Rechargeable AA's available almost everywhere and runs for nearly two hours before the batteries are dead. It's main failings seem to have been addressed in the EA8 (hopefully) and nearly double the run time. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Nearly a half pound of AA batteries? Come on now. Still going to be impressive as hell though.
    Haha yeah! It's gonna be big and heavy, you can literally be a caveman and bonk someone on the head with it! hahaha

To be fair though, people have been carrying 2D Maglites forever. Now we have something roughly the same size, that can use amazing batteries (Eneloops), with huge output and good runtimes.
    Last edited by markr6; 02-05-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    GOOD TINT!

The wait is killen me
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

If you hit the turbo much, it won't run anywhere near 1:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbeams3 View Post
    Nope, it means put it in turbo: 900 for 3~5 minutes and then...whatever it drops to, for the remaining 1:55 minutes...then replace or recharge da batts.

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    If you hit the turbo much, it won't run anywhere near 1:55.

I do not understand why it would be designed this way. 8 AA's should be able to give enough power for this light to put out 900 lumens for a few hours. Some other lights like this come close, like the Fenix TK41,45. I DO understand why the EA4 has to step down after 3 minutes of 860 lumens. That is a lot to ask of 4 AA's!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz View Post
    I do not understand why it would be designed this way. 8 AA's should be able to give enough power for this light to put out 900 lumens for a few hours. Some other lights like this come close, like the Fenix TK41,45. I DO understand why the EA4 has to step down after 3 minutes of 860 lumens. That is a lot to ask of 4 AA's!!
    Could it be to save the poor fools who use alkaleaks in this light?
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

I was just doing a quick length size comparison based on the specs of various lights, and i must say that the EA8 is very impressive. Compared to a very similar Fenix TK41, it's shorter by a pretty big 3cm. Furthermore, it's about the same size as other 4AA lights (except EA4 of course). Check it out:

18.2cm - Nitecore EA8 ( 8AA )
    21.4cm - Fenix TK41 ( 8AA )
    18.3cm - Jetbeam PA40 ( 4AA )
    18.0cm - Fenix E40 ( 4AA )
    17.5cm - Fenix LD41 ( 4AA )
    18.0cm - Olight S65 Baton ( 6AA )
    17.3cm - Eagletac SX25A6 ( 6AA )

Unenlightened

If they have one in neutral white, I expect to be a buyer....The pdf wont open...

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitiveInquirer View Post
    I was just doing a quick length size comparison based on the specs of various lights, and i must say that the EA8 is very impressive. Compared to a very similar Fenix TK41, it's shorter by a pretty big 3cm. Furthermore, it's about the same size as other 4AA lights (except EA4 of course). Check it out:

18.2cm - 900 lumens - Nitecore EA8 8AA
    17.3cm - 925 lumens - Eagletac SX25A6 6AA
    It should be noted that the Eagletac is both the smallest and the brightest.

Of course there are many other factors to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by GordoJones88 View Post
    It should be noted that the Eagletac is both the smallest and the brightest.

Of course there are many other factors to consider.
    Very true Gordo! EA8 @ 60,000cd and SX25A6 @ 35,000 lux. Pick your poison.

On a side note, i asked hkequipment over at ebay when he was expecting the EA8 and was given a 2-3 weeks period, meaning end of February / beginning of March. Of course, i wanted to know the price too, but he said that at this moment, he could not confirm with me.

On a side note, i asked hkequipment over at ebay when he was expecting the EA8 and was given a 2-3 weeks period, meaning end of February / beginning of March.
    Yes, I was told it will be released after the spring holiday.

Specs say it should be very comparable to the TK41 in output and runtime at max and in throw and beam intensity. The only question is how much cheaper the EA8 will be and will it come in neutral T6 3C versions. I already like the mode spacing on the EA8 over the TK41.

^
    Yeah the mode spacing of the EA8 is the thing that attracts me the most (second to how it's 3cm shorter than the tk41 while having about same outputs and runtimes). Plus it's got a nice ss bezel, which i'm a sucker for.

Am i correct that the EA8 only compares strongly with the TK41 while the EA8 is in turbo mode? So after the first few minutes, the EA8 would fall behind the TK41 with only(!) 580 lumens compared to 860 lumens for the TK41...
    Surefire E2D LED - Eagletac SX25A6 - Malkoff MD2,MD4,M60W - Nitecore EA4W - Fenix LD41 - 4Sevens Quark AA,AA2 - ITP A3 EOS - Thrunite Ti - Petzl Myo XP - Tiablo A8 WC Q5 - Box of Candles

Quote Originally Posted by tickled View Post
    I already like the mode spacing on the EA8 over the TK41.
    Sure does have a nice spacing. 2lumens! Timing doesn't seem possible but it's almost like Nitecore took our advice. We beat them up pretty good here on CPF about the low 65lumens on the EA4.

Excited to see some reviews when it's out. I need this light like a hole in the head, but I've said that before...
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyRick View Post
    Am i correct that the EA8 only compares strongly with the TK41 while the EA8 is in turbo mode? So after the first few minutes, the EA8 would fall behind the TK41 with only(!) 580 lumens compared to 860 lumens for the TK41...
    TK41
    860L: 2h19m

EA8
    900L: 2h
    590L: 3h45m

EA4
    860L with stepdown: 1h45m
    550L: 2h

Judging by that, I would think that there's no stepdown.
    Last edited by tickled; 02-07-2013 at 01:07 PM.

SX 25A6

Output and Runtime
    Led lumen: 1130-1010/470/10
    ANSI FL-1 lumen: 925-828/386/9
    Runtime: 1.8/3.3/200+ hours

Nice and simple comparison!
    Any chance of editing and include NC EA4's 11.7cm as well since it uses 4AA too. No doubt there are many other factors to consider, but in a glance..it would be useful to gauge how big they all are.

18.2cm - Nitecore EA8 ( 8AA )
    21.4cm - Fenix TK41 ( 8AA )
    18.3cm - Jetbeam PA40 ( 4AA )
    18.0cm - Fenix E40 ( 4AA )
    17.5cm - Fenix LD41 ( 4AA )
    18.0cm - Olight S65 Baton ( 6AA )
    17.3cm - Eagletac SX25A6 ( 6AA )

I would take the SX25A6 over any of the above mentioned. It beats them handily. The Eagletac really is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by tickled View Post
    Judging by that, I would think that there's no stepdown.
    It would be good if that were the case. I do not think that we can tell really though, since both the EA4 and EA8 descriptions in the catalogue read the same way except for the actual numbers. There is nothing on either to really indicate drop-down, other than the use of the word 'turbo' to imply it.

I'm hoping, from the much longer run-time at 590L output that the 900L output is rated full-time. My guess though is that it will still step down for heat management to protect the light from general consumers.

We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

In any case, I still like my SX25A6 even though it doesn't have as much (claimed) intensity.
    Surefire E2D LED - Eagletac SX25A6 - Malkoff MD2,MD4,M60W - Nitecore EA4W - Fenix LD41 - 4Sevens Quark AA,AA2 - ITP A3 EOS - Thrunite Ti - Petzl Myo XP - Tiablo A8 WC Q5 - Box of Candles