Unique Titanium
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: **NEW** Nitecore EA8

Default Re: NEW Nitecore EA8

In my EA4, use of the turbo to any degree drops the run time an unacceptable level. If the EA8 runs twice as long, your probably looking at less than an hour with light to moderate turbo use. With heavy turbo use, I wouldn't expect much. I guess we'll see when people get their hands on some.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz View Post
    8 AA's should be able to give enough power for this light to put out 900 lumens for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    In my EA4, use of the turbo to any degree drops the run time an unacceptable level. If the EA8 runs twice as long, your probably looking at less than an hour with light to moderate turbo use. With heavy turbo use, I wouldn't expect much. I guess we'll see when people get their hands on some.

I will compare this to the Fenix TK41. The Fenix TK41 claims 2 hours and 10 minutes of runtime using the same amount of AA cells. I am not aware of the Fenix stepping down after a few minutes, so somebody that owns one may be able to chime in if that is so. If the EA8 is designed similar, it should have no problem pumping out 900 lumens for the same amount of time. I own a fenix TK40 and it does not step down, but it is almost 2 years old. The Fenix battery holder is configured where it runs 4 cells in series and 4 cells in parallel. Using 2000mah batteries, you end up with a 4.8v 4000 Mah battery pack equivalent. If the EA8 is designed this way, I would bet it will not switch to high after 3 minutes. Like you said though, we will find out when it is released!

From the video it appears to have the same EA4 switch, that is a shame. Would have liked to have seen the switch used in the TM15 and EC25. Still I may buy one for my elderly father to replace his pair of incandescent 2d maglights. He won't understand the concept of why it has to have 8AA instead of 2d but he will be amazed with it's performance. He has 150 yards of back yard run and it will light that distance up for him. He will be happy and I won't have to be concerned about him using lithium.

For me I will still hold out hope that Nitecore will put a single emitter large reflector head on a TM parallel 4x18650 body. Maybe an XML2 and push 90k cd.

Enlightened

Updated the list above with some more details. Any corrections or additions please let me know

Last edited by PhatPhil; 02-08-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    Hopefully 900 lumens for 2 hours doesn't actually mean 900 lumens for 20 minutes.

It could be 600 1 foot soldiers, or it could be 100 6 foot soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbait View Post
    From the video it appears to have the same EA4 switch, that is a shame. Would have liked to have seen the switch used in the TM15 and EC25.
    Ditto that. Seems that the older sister, the EA8, since she's donning the same flimsy plastic protection, will be just as inclined to unexpected pregnancies like its younger, wilder sister, the EA4. hehehe... If only the EA sisters would be more disciplined and chaste like their TM stepsisters, always donning their metallic, unbreakable chastity belts.

Seriously though, maybe they choose the plastic button because it's cheaper, allowing them to offer the EA8 at a cheaper price?

I wonder how simple it would be to remove and replace the switch cover on the EA4 or 8? With all the lights I have, I may have some that are interchangable. I also bought a few lights that came with extra covers.

Flashaholic

Well my girlfriend just order an EA4W for me for valentines day, looks like I'm have to get it's bigger brother when it comes out to complete my AA light selection. Have an E21, the EA4, and then the EA8, they just double in the number of batteries as we go up.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKES250R View Post
    SX 25A6

Output and Runtime
    Led lumen: 1130-1010/470/10
    ANSI FL-1 lumen: 925-828/386/9
    Runtime: 1.8/3.3/200+ hours

I just looked at that light, the Eagletac SX25A6, and I dont like the mode spacing on it at all. It starts at 9 lumens and jumps to 386 lumens from there? Might there be at least 1 or 2 modes in between 9L and 386L that may be useful?

The SX25A6 can work in one of two modes; tactical and regular. The mode is programmed in by doing a repeated twisting of the head. I stick to regular.

In Tactical, the output levels are 100%, 15%, strobe and in regular they are 100%, 40%, 0.5%. That's from the manual.

These percentages don't seem to relate to the numbers given in the specifications. Perhaps the percentages are drive currents rather than output. In any case, I find the regular mode spacing quite adequate. The low level is fine indoors for a little bit of light (I have no use for very low lows) and the mid and high are good for lots of light or outdoors. Each to his own though.

Having said that, if Eagletac had put on a selector ring with more options like Sunwayman uses instead of just an unscrewing head, it would have been perfect.
    Surefire E2D LED - Eagletac SX25A6 - Malkoff MD2,MD4,M60W - Nitecore EA4W - Fenix LD41 - 4Sevens Quark AA,AA2 - ITP A3 EOS - Thrunite Ti - Petzl Myo XP - Tiablo A8 WC Q5 - Box of Candles

From the video it appears to have the same EA4 switch, that is a shame. Would have liked to have seen the switch used in the TM15 and EC25. Still I may buy one for my elderly father to replace his pair of incandescent 2d maglights. He won't understand the concept of why it has to have 8AA instead of 2d but he will be amazed with it's performance. He has 150 yards of back yard run and it will light that distance up for him. He will be happy and I won't have to be concerned about him using lithium.

For me I will still hold out hope that Nitecore will put a single emitter large reflector head on a TM parallel 4x18650 body. Maybe an XML2 and push 90k cd.
    Very nice of you. I suggest that perhaps if he is still using 2d incan maglites even a 2aa light like a Fenix E21 will be a huge improvement Or another good option would be something like the Fenix LD41. To get the most out of these multiple aa lights it's best to use NiMh so unless you also get him a lot of good Eneloops and a great charger a light using fewer aa's might be better. With 2aa's you could get him a nice stockpile of aa lithiums that give good power throughout the runtime and also then you don't have to worry about his light leaking (at least as long as he's using the lithium aa's). You're right that the larger multiple aa lights have great throw. The Fenix TK41 is still beast mode too and probably a better thrower still--- might not be as easy though since it uses a carrier.

Actually ... I thought of an awesome light for him too. The Fenix TK50 uses 2 D cells. It is a thrower more than having lots of spill, but it will still blow any incan light out of the water. If he is trying to see stuff really far away outside the spill won't matter that much anyway. The D cells would be super easy for him to replace too. If he replaces them every once in a while I wouldn't worry that much about alkaleaks If Fenix puts an xm-l into the tk50 format body I would buy one right away or as a present. The D cells just make so much sense to non flashaholics and you can get great run time.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
    I just looked at that light, the Eagletac SX25A6, and I dont like the mode spacing on it at all. It starts at 9 lumens and jumps to 386 lumens from there? Might there be at least 1 or 2 modes in between 9L and 386L that may be useful?
    Exactly...loved the light but hated the mode spacing! They mixed in 200 somthing in mode 2 but then your dancing around with strobe mode to get at at...plus a twist of head. Too bad...I would have spent the $$ had they not FUBARED the mode spacing.
    PPDBillet HexLamp
    Fenix -- NiteCore --SolarForce-- EagleTac -- QtrHorse -- Crelant -- NitEye -- Lenser -- and... a graveyard of Maglights w a few on life support.

Flashaholic

Really anxious for this light to come out. I emailed Nitecore and they said it was available and to check with my local distributor but no one has it. Any idea where I can find it?

Quote Originally Posted by PhatPhil View Post
    Updated the list above with some more details. Any corrections or additions please let me know
    Thanks PhatPhil, very nice and usefull list here.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatPhil View Post
    The Eagletac SX25A6 now has an XM-L2 U2 emitter for 1050 ANSI lumens.

Also, there is no need for that second number as it is not user selectable.

Thanks bro ,, was waiting for this

I have the EA4 and love it but the low is way too high as many people have complained.

So why does the EA8 get a very well-placed low @ 2 lumens? I'm jealous. Shouldn't the smaller light get the lower low? You're not going to carry around 8 AA's to use 2 lumens...

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle View Post
    I have the EA4 and love it but the low is way too high as many people have complained.

So why does the EA8 get a very well-placed low @ 2 lumens? I'm jealous. Shouldn't the smaller light get the lower low? You're not going to carry around 8 AA's to use 2 lumens...
    FANTASTIC mode spacing on this EA8. I'm jealous too! Nitecore would have to be crazy not to update the EA4 with similar spacing...and SOON before Zebralight releases the S5310 (well, let's not get into that )
    GOOD TINT!

I just skimmed the manual and there doesn't seem to be a thermal stepdown after 3 minutes like it's little brother, the EA4.

It's coming out with a neutral as well. Looks to be a solid light. I'll most likely be getting it. It's a shame the button wasn't changed though. Ah well...
    Last edited by InquisitiveInquirer; 02-28-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Flashaholic*

I dont think Nitecore ever mentiom a stepdown, they just put the big numbers, see the MT series!

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Labrador72 View Post
    I dont think Nitecore ever mentiom a stepdown, they just put the big numbers, see the MT series!

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2
    The PDF manual for the Nitecore EA4 mentions stepdown:

"For user safety and to prevent overheating / failure, the EA4 will automatically switch to high mode after three minutes of use in Turbo Mode."

I imagine, the same (or similar) holds true with the EA8, but couldn't say for sure. I haven't seen that PDF manual.

Quote Originally Posted by david57strat View Post
    I haven't seen that PDF manual.

The manual.

I'm not really a huge 8xAA fan BUT, this light as some pretty impressive numbers for its size. I am a bit skeptical of the 900L for 2 hours but we'll know when the first reports come out.

I should have one of these for testing fairly soon and I'll try to pass along the time frame as soon as they tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    I'm not really a huge 8xAA fan BUT, this light as some pretty impressive numbers for its size. I am a bit skeptical of the 900L for 2 hours but we'll know when the first reports come out.

I should have one of these for testing fairly soon and I'll try to pass along the time frame as soon as they tell me.
    Yes, keep us posted! I'm really eager to hear about this light. Still can't find it for sale in the typical spots.

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitiveInquirer View Post
    Yes, keep us posted! I'm really eager to hear about this light. Still can't find it for sale in the typical spots.
    available now at batteryjunction for $99.95 with XML-U2 or XML-T6

HA! $99 as predicted. Well, I was off by 95 cents
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.444 View Post
    available now at batteryjunction for $99.95 with XML-U2 or XML-T6
    It is not available. BatteryJunction has it for pre-order. It took them months before they shipped the EA4.

How many EA4 owners also getting the EA8?

Off topic, but I wonder if they'll ever do a EA4 v2 with the mode spacing of an EA8? Wouldn't that be awesome?