Any love for the Coast HL7 Headlamp?

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Saw this at Lowe's and whilst pricey at $40, it seemed to be well built and have infinite dimmability and a lever zoom function which were very well implemented.

Any comments on this headlamp?

markled

Newly Enlightened
I've seen the HL7 at Lowe's and think the beam focusing ability would be great for a headlamp. If it's anything like the focus adjustment on Coast's HP7 flashlight (which I already have), I'll be pleased. I'm holding off for now because I noticed on their website that they have two new headlamps being released this month, the HL27 and HL8. They both have 300+ lumens and some improvements to the HL7. I haven't found anyone with them in stock yet so I'm just waiting...

Mark

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's one of the better Led Lensers in my opinion. I have the rechargeable version but it's not used very much at all. I didn't get a USB charging adapter when I got mine but it is USB rechargeable if you can get the right cable.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe the HL7 will drop in price once the HL8 and HL27 come out. One can hope!

Spankis

Newly Enlightened
I have been using one of these on my hardhat for a few months now, with no issues to speak of. I've affixed it using zip ties, and it's worked out very well. The unit I have takes 3 Alkaline AAA's, and I picked it up for $35 on sale, I believe also at Lowes. The variable brightness adjustment is great, with the infinitely variable slider, and I find myself using somewhere around 25 - 35% brightness for most tasks.

For reference, I do electrical/controls wiring for a living, so I'm in poorly lit/unlit mechanical spaces, electrical panels, air handlers, on ladders above dropped ceilings, etc. Most of my work is relatively close-up, using hand tools, but I can say that I seldom reach for my pocket carry anymore looking into the rafters, because if I've got my hardhat on, I can just crank up the headlamp. I'm also still using the original batteries :) ; so far I'm very pleased with the light.

Last edited:

Jackasper

Enlightened
I"ve had one for well over a year now and really like the thing. Absolutely no issues with it at all. The variable control and focus are a huge bonus. Well built for the price.

electrothump

Enlightened
I too use the HL7's for daily work, and at night,,, every night, and it has yet to fail. The HL7 is without doubt one of the most user friendly lights on the market. It's not like all the cycle thru the different mode lights that drive you crazy when you miss your mode, and then you have to the cycle thing again. Bah. The HL7 focuses fast, and simple, and the brightness is controlled by a lever. High to low, and spot to flood in a second or so, and you are in complete control. The HL7 is an upgrade to the H7, which I liked even better, but the H7 was just not built for heavy use, and it had a few issues with wire breaking. I still have two h7s and still use them. The light in Painful Chafe's link is very similar to the old H7. DX has one also for the same money. The beam on the knock offs like those have a more square spot, and are ringy, which I don't mind the square beam on spot, or the rings. I also have one of the DX knockoffs, and I like it just fine. My only complaint with these lights is the three AAA's. But I use rechargers, so it's not much of an issure for me. Want flood? Want throw? Want variable brightness? Want ease, and simplicity of use? Get one of these, and get away from click, click, click/multimode syndrome. Other manufacturers would do well to follow suit with this format. Remember KISS?

dparr

Newly Enlightened
If only it ran off of AA's instead of AAA's. That's a deal killer for me.

I have a friend that uses one for cavin'. He changes batteries a LOT.

electrothump

Enlightened
If only it ran off of AA's instead of AAA's. That's a deal killer for me.

I have a friend that uses one for cavin'. He changes batteries a LOT.

Yeah, that's a groaner for me also. Other than keeping the light lightweight, I can't understand whey they don't use Two AA's instead of the three AAA's. That would get my vote. Currently I use one to two sets of AAA's a day. But like I said, I use rechargers, so it's little more than an inconvenience. The light puts out ample light at the lower setting, but I like bright light.

dparr

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that's a groaner for me also. Other than keeping the light lightweight, I can't understand whey they don't use Two AA's instead of the three AAA's. That would get my vote. Currently I use one to two sets of AAA's a day. But like I said, I use rechargers, so it's little more than an inconvenience. The light puts out ample light at the lower setting, but I like bright light.

If Coast had gone with 3XAA's instead of 3XAAA's the HL7 would get over twice the run times. I would own one too.

I will never understand why so many headlamps use AAA's.

Spankis

Newly Enlightened
You guys must really use close to full power a lot, to be going through batteries like crazy. Generally if I need my headlamp, I'm not trying to see better, I'm trying to see PERIOD. Like I said less than half power gets the job done for me 90% of the time. I too would like AA's, but for my purposes it's fine.

electrothump

Enlightened
Yeah, I do use full power a lot. The batteries will last pretty good if I don't keep it turned up very high. But, I work inside towers, and most are pretty dark. I also live way out in podunk, with no extra light other than my porch light. The moon and stars are generally not much help. :) Also, as I've gotten older my cat eyes must have used up their 9 lives. I need a lot more light than I used to.

electrothump

Enlightened
Oh yeah, if you buy one of these at Lowes, try to get one with good batteries. People like to test them. I'm not sure why, but the ones in the blister packs have the thing on full flood. Looks to me like they would have had it packaged with the light on spot. Dunno!!! Maybe they are going for the blind spot in your eye after looking into it. That's pretty much what the mirrored angle piece does if you test their other lights.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Oh yeah, if you buy one of these at Lowes, try to get one with good batteries. People like to test them. I'm not sure why, but the ones in the blister packs have the thing on full flood. Looks to me like they would have had it packaged with the light on spot. Dunno!!! Maybe they are going for the blind spot in your eye after looking into it. That's pretty much what the mirrored angle piece does if you test their other lights.

LOL! I pointed one at somebody standing in line. Then made a quick getaway.

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
I can't understand whey they don't use Two AA's instead of the three AAA's.

I would guess because of the voltage? 2.4v as opposed to 3.6v?

Quite the price difference between the Hong Kong seller link and the North American sellers. I would think then the newer version will also be showing up with the Asian resellers as well.

electrothump

Enlightened
I wouldn't think the voltage difference would be much of a problem. There are slews of voltage boost circuits that could quite readily step up the voltage. Yeah, it doesn't take too long for knockoffs to start showing up.

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't think the voltage difference would be much of a problem. There are slews of voltage boost circuits that could quite readily step up the voltage. Yeah, it doesn't take too long for knockoffs to start showing up.

Thanks. That doesn't appear to be the case always. For example I just noticed the Spark SD52 is dimmer than the SD73 (2 AA cells vs 3 AAA cells). I found in another thread on this forum that the reason is the voltage difference, and that you need to use a 14500 in the AA light to get full lumen capacity, so I assume that may be the same reasoning when they designed the Coast light too.

electrothump

Enlightened
My point was that I wonder why Coast doesn't use a boost circuit in their lights, so the two AA's are boosted in voltage, and current to 4.5 volts, to match the output of the three AAA's.