Most Perfect All-Round Flashlight?

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
I have been reading the specs of the new Nitecore TM 26 and wonder if this single flashlight has it "all"; that is, the things that most of us are looking for:

1. Size It is smaller than the TM 15
2. Power 3500 lumens? wow!
3. Low lumen....very low lumen for 1000 hours for every day indoor use
4. Displays that allow for monitoring battery power
5. Rechargeable with just a plug it; or you can remove the batteries
6. longevity of battery use at lower levels with even "Turbo" going for more than an hour. Nitecore may be putting out a stronger 18650 battery, too.
7. Lanyard connects nicely for carrying safely.

other than the price, is this the most complete flashlight out there? Good for woods, searching, rural, dog walking, barn, as well as for indoor low lighting.

One major negative (besides price) is not having a diffuser cap over it. I love diffuser caps for reading and soft light. Perhaps Nitecore will produce something but given its shape, it will have to be specifically designed for it.

Obviously the width of the light might be too much for some as it does not fit in one's pocket like PD 32 UE or Nitecore EC25 does.

I also think that other companies will be quick to copy the "smart light" design of the display; level, battery charging, power, etc.

As I consider it at the nitecore website, it may be, to me, the single "do it all" flashlight. I am not sure how I feel about the square front, but the versatility and display as well as the ability to go to such a high level is very appealing.

Where to buy it? It will be interesting to see the price variations.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's cool, but IMO it is too big to be carried around. So, that limits it too much to get anywhere near the ""Most Perfect All Around Flashlight".

Yes, it's smaller than a boat anchor, but it's not exactly an EDC.
And yes, the 6" length isn't too bad, but the width makes it very hard to carry on a belt holster without severely getting in the way.
They did a good job making it "smaller than typical", but it's just not small enough. The same thing is true with the Zebralight 6330. It's a cute little bugger, but nobody is going to carry a soup can in their pocket.

Would be fine for in the car, or as a versatile light in the home.

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
One could argue that the best "all around" flashlight is one that is "always around". For me, that's an Arc AAA on my keychain. ;)

While there are many nice features described, I just can't get past how this light seems huge, and heavy:

Dimensions
Length: 142mm
Head diameter: 68 mm
Head side-length: 57mm
Tube diameter: 50mm
Weight: 438g (without battery)

Add another +/- 190g for 4x18650 batteries, we're looking at 628g, or 1.4 pounds... yikes!

[/Devil's Advocate mode]

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best all round light is probably the Sipik Sk68, it has flood, it has throw it runs on 1aa and its under $10 :lolsign:

lol all kidding aside best all round flashlight varies depending on what criteria are important to you.

My best all round light was the Zebralight Sc600 after I epoxied down the clip. It was a great all round light for a year. Now an HDS120 with a nichia219 is my best all round light. Has some throw, great spill, awesome clip, and programmable

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found my perfect all rounder in the Fenix E50. It's simple to use, has well spaced modes and can easily be put in a pocket for short periods. It's not an EDC by any means, but it's size and output make it a remarkable light. Not to mention the price.

The only thing that would make it better is if I had two.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
There is no best all around light, but I'm still hopeing it's on it's way!!! I think lights sould be looked at the same way we look at firearms, a battery of 2 to 5 that will cover all possible needs. And EDC light will never be able to be the perfect searchlight / area light / lantern, ect.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I was looking at screw drivers and hammers and drills and routers and lathes and files and rulers and other tools, but just want to buy ONE tool.

What tool is the best one to get?

:D

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
I probably should have worded it this way:

If you could own only ONE Flashlight, indoors, outdoors and everything in between, what light would it be?

This would limit answers to a 'this does it all' light. :)

This is what I was really looking for: Is there such a light that is close to being an all in one light? Does the TM 26 or a Skyray King fit this bill?

TEEJ

Flashaholic

If you could own only ONE Flashlight, indoors, outdoors and everything in between, what light would it be?

This is what I was really looking for: Is there such a light that is close to being an all in one light? Does the TM 26 or a Skyray King fit this bill?

Well, what beam is both a tight spot for seeing things through thick foliage or other obstructions, and also a floody pattern that lights up an entire field at once?

What light has the power to light up an entire field at once, and, is small enough to slip into your pocket so you can have it with you when needed?

Does it have the strobe instantly accessible for tactical use, or, hidden/absent for other use?

Does it have a tail switch and magnetic control ring and twisty head and side switch, and set defaults and infinite ramping and direct drive and full regulation, memory when you want it and no memory when you want that instead, etc?

IE: There is not one light that does it all....they are tools, and, different features optimize a particular light for particular uses.

If you want to only buy one light for example, you'd need to specify what the parameters are, such as ultimate range, how floody or how tight, form factor, run time, UI, etc.

Otherwise, you are essentially saying you only want to buy one tool, should you get a hammer or a screw driver.

:D

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my contest entry to balder, for the prize I never got
0104c2e4.jpg

an aspheric on one side, a floodier mule set up on the other. Maybe some red led's for night vision in the open spaces. That'd be awesome.

I don't believe in a jack of all trades light, because a jack of all trades is master of none.

If you want a multiTool light, get the Crelant 7g5cs, buy the collameter head and a diffusor cap, a red diffusor or wand and you have a multitool of a light

tel0004

Newly Enlightened
For me its the 4sevens Quark CR123(2).

It is in my car 100% of the time, plenty bright, and easy to pocket when I know I need a light.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
To add another element to the "perfect" flashlight would be one that is made virtually indestructible
when it comes to dropping on cement. Perhaps some serious carbon fiber?

I was also thinking about the temperature gauge on the TM 26. Is that the temperature of the flashlight with regard to the heat from the batteries?

The reason: if we are talking about the most perfect, all round flashlight, I want one that tells me the temperature externally, that is, outdoors and indoors, along with the internal temp of the flashlight! I like this little feature in my car, for example, so why not on a flashlight?

So, add indestructibility and indoor/outdoor temps (in F for me) to the perfect light. TM 26 has to add a diffuser cap too.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just about everyone is saying no, it isn't the best all-around flashlight. But I think the OP has a good point...the versatility of this light is impressive. If you want it in a pocket, then you'll be disappointed, but I pretty much always leave the house with a belt...and it is easy enough to detach and reattach if it gets in the way when seated or whatever. Assuming you are using your light for, well..., lighting purposes, then the hammer/screwdriver analogy is a bit forced. All lights provide the same fundamental use, it is only a matter of quantitative difference rather than qualitative (more akin to using an power screwdriver vs. a manual). Sure, some of them might be lighter, or smaller, but the OP didn't ask if the TM26 was perfect...he asked if there was a more all-round light out there. I'm not saying there isn't one, but I haven't seen it. I do firmly believe that each light has its own pros and cons, but if I had to pick only one...

Even the diffuser cap is less critical than it might be, since the beam is quite floody anyway. Just aim it off to one side a bit to avoid blinding yourself with the hotspot, and you'll still have plenty of available nice even spill light.

I freely admit I am biased, since I'm ordering one shortly. Go go NITECOREZILLA!

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

If i could own just 1 flashlight it would be this exact light. But I am very confident that a better choice will be out soon. It will probably still be Nitecore, 'Slightly' bigger but they'll bump up from a quad to 5 or 6, and let's upgrade it to XM-L2, and we'll probably be at about 5,000 floody lumens. Perfect!

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently, the Lux-RC FL-33-T70 for best all purpose light. From moonlight for weeks, to 2000lm, all from a light the size of a standard 18650 light.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
What options do you have with your Lux-RC? The other posts about it have nowhere near those stats...and I find it hard to believe a single 18650 can generate 2k lumens. Are you talking about using it with extension tubes, or just as is? Would like more info...