What are you going to put into your CNC-123?

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you going to put into your CNC-123?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
This will be my first experience with putting together a light.
I have looked at several posts as to what is in some of the others. Such as the firefly etc...
I don't know what I want to put into it. MM,MM+,BB...?
Thanks in advance for the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I just finished making a MM750 with a 3W SYOL from scratch. I figure that oughta work.
BTW, What a PITA! Holy freakin &*!@#%, that sucker is tiny.
A word of advice to all who care. BUY your module. They are worth it. Dat2Zip deserves more than he charges for those things. I know my way around a soldering Iron, but micro-surgery is a little out of my league.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am leaning towards the Madmax Plus Sandwich Module kit Q3.
Also, do I need to get a mineral glass? If so what size?
Thanks

hideo

Enlightened
you've got 3V to play with so you can put whatever module you want--I'm going to put in the R2H MM that is currently in my CNC StopLight and is quite bright in 1xAA (BURNS in 2xAA!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

one of the Q3 modules should be just about as good

hideo

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm going to put a MadMax WO Q2 in there along with a McFlood (it's the only way to even out the nasty color of the Q2). I've got an R2H I might put onto that sandwich though...

What I *really* want is a Long Runtime MM sandwich if (when?) they become available. If these sandwiches are ever available one will definitely be going into my CNC-123. In fact, anticipation for these new boards is the only reason I haven't already put the R2H on my MM WO.

Jon

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I originally had a MM R2H in mine, but just changed it out last night to a MM+ R2H. I decided to give the heatsinking on the CNC 123 a try and it does do a better job than than the stoplight. In fairness, the 123 cell that I'm using is used, so that might change when I put in a fresh cell.

Dan designed this to use with the optic without a lens, but I use a mineral lens in mine. There's no room for an O ring between the lens and bezel, if you're using one between the lens and optic. That's the one that's most important to stabilize the optic. The only reason to use a lens is to protect the optic. It takes a standard 22.5mm.

I haven't tried my McFlood in it yet, but NASCAR suggested trying it without an optic. I did and results are pretty impressive. It makes a very nice flood.

My suggestion would be a MM premium. The MMs are the most efficient overall. Not as flat as a BB, but will use more of your cell's available energy.

I agree, whenever Wayne comes out with the long run module, I'll probably put one in this light. I'll use the high energy users in my 2AA lights where I use NiMH and have virtually no ongoing battery costs.

I hope Dan makes a pot load more these little buggers. They're really great - I'd like to pick up at least one more.

hideo

Enlightened
kitelights, you dog ... I'm still waiting on my CNC 123 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mustbepatientgoodthingscometothosewhowait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

hideo

hideo

Enlightened
seems like EVERYONE over on the other thread (sorry, kitelights) CNC-123 SOLDOUT ... Look what came today!!! got theirs before me and was posting baby pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, but ... today, patience rewarded...

I like these even better than the StopLite and it's quite nifty that you can use the AA tubes from the StopLite with these (see below) Dan was truly thinking MODULAR!

fa82a167.jpg

Brinkmann Legend tail on the hybrid 1xAA STOP123 combo on the left, STOPLite center and CNC-1x123 right (spare 123 tube far right)

fa82a11e.jpg

profaning the light with a mMag tailcap or finding a use for an otherwise useless light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

compressed the spring to use as a twistie, but it needs a stud or strong, cut down spring to work better (or a RAM)

oh yeah, and not to miss Dan's tandem Arc tube which holds an ARC AAA head and a spare battery or serves as a dual head penlight (shown below with an LE white and a UV----second image is flipped)--clip is from an LEDLenser

fa84d002.jpg

fa84cffa.jpg

all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif now,

hideo

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The anticipation is killing me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Mine will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

Jon

hideo

Enlightened
gee, and I thought I was the very last one ... sorry for the whining /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

anyway, I think you'll be delighted--I've been carrying the mutant 123 with the 1xAA battery tube and an R2H /MM with me all afternoon. Looks odd, feels very good in the hand

hideo

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if we could talk him into a AA battery tube that flares at the end to accept the Kroll Guard. The light might have an hourglass shape, but it would be fairly unique AND have a protected Kroll. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK, scratch that. Mine finally made it. This thing is very cool... I was able to fit a UCL and McFlood in there with the O-ring that comes with Dat2Zip's sandwiches. The bezel won't screw on all the way now, but I just removed the o-ring from a mini-mag's head, slid it over the CNC-123's head and it now occupies the extra space. Yes, it is visible from the outside of the light but I think it looks pretty slick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll post a pick later tonight if I can.

Jon