Cateye Triple Shot - Modification Help Much Appreciated

peterod

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I joined the forum specifically to post this request for help so I hope it wont be frowned upon.

I have a Cateye Triple Shot that a purchased a few years ago and to be honest never really used. I am now getting into night mountain biking and would like to upgrade it. I have zero electronics skills but have found someone who i can get to do the work although they may not understand all the necessary components to modify the light.

What I would very much appreciate is your help in pulling together the parts list so that I can purchase them and give them to him. I have seen a few mods before and they help a lot although I am sure the parts used have been greatly improved upon. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-HL-EL700RC-Triple-Shot-review-amp-mod/page3 and http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/cateye-hl-el700rc-triple-shot-review-mod-408260.html and http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/1800-lumen-cateye-tripleshot-608544.html

I like the look of the last mod by troutie where it ended up as a double led with the middle led replaced with the on/off switch.

My riding: Mainly off road, bridal paths and tree lined paths. Nothing too extreme. Average ride length about 2.5 hours once per week.

My considerations: I'm looking to make this as easy as possible so don't necessarily need to to save a few $ by buying everything from different places. Also I'm not going to see the difference in slight specification changes so I would prefer items that are the easiest to fit and modify rather than something that needs shoehorning in or major modifications.

So my question is: Can you help me by recommending the best parts and an idea as to how they are to be used and where they can be purchased?

Light unit:
After some reading i understand i need the led, a reflector, possibly the on/off switch if using the modified middle position as on/off and maybe a handcut clear perspex front cover.

Charging Unit: Annoyingly it charged well until last week and then the charger just stopped working and only shows the orange light. I will try to get this looked at but am happy to buy a new battery pack and charger (or utilize the same charger?). Could you please point me in the right direction of what to buy and the implications.

I am not technical at all so would not be offended if you treated me as an idiot and didn't assume any prior knowledge1

Thanks in advance

Peter

peterod

Newly Enlightened
You can use Cree XM-L2 on stars (i.e. from Cutter) and power that form 3s li-ion battery pack (11,1V at batteryspace) + charger.
But honestly for: 26 charger +56 battery pack +20 leds + 20 shipping => 122$ you can get a new Magicshine MJ-872.

Thanks for the reply. It seems a shame to just throw it away but i guess the battery and charger make the difference. If i could get my battery and charger working then it would be more viable. I would also have to pay some one to do the modification which may be £30 so maybe you are right. It might be time to just cut my losses and give up on it.