What kind of batteries should I use for an LED flashlight, heavy duty or alkaline?

lesliemorris85

Newly Enlightened
The LED flashlight uses 4 AA. Also, the box says if you're not gonna use the flashlight for extended periods of time, to keep the batteries out of the flashlight to prevent leakage and other bad stuff.

Just how long of non-usage would I want to keep the batteries out?

Would I have this same concern with alkaline batteries since they're supposed to be (more) leak proof?

brucered

Newly Enlightened
HD batteries are useless, for anything. they offer no run time, no mAh etc.

buy some Eneloop rechargeables or at minimum, quality ALKALINE batteries.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't bother with alkaline batteries. Why bother with a battery chemistry that couldn't supply enough current for high powered devices? And the fact that they may leak inside the light is more than enough reason to avoid them. I suggest you buy a few sets of rechargeable NiMH and a charger and be good to go. As what brucered suggested above, Sanyo Eneloop is the way to go.

nbp

Flashaholic
Or at the very least, if the light will go months with little usage, buy lithium based primaries. They have a very good track record of not leaking. Energizer for example makes lithium AA and AAA cells.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or at the very least, if the light will go months with little usage, buy lithium based primaries. They have a very good track record of not leaking. Energizer for example makes lithium AA and AAA cells.
Agreed. I do have Energizer lithium AA in some of my lights that see little to no usage in the last few months.

lesliemorris85

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, I agreed with Energizer. thanks!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you please elaborate why? thanks!

When it comes to batteries, there isn't really alot to ask of them. But the things we DO ask of batteries are quite important. Namely, people generally want:

1. A battery that lasts a while. This is particularly important with disposable batteries (primaries) vs rechargeable batteries (secondaries), since you have to buy new ones when they go dead. And when it comes to lasting, 'heavy duty' batteries are pretty much at the bottom.

2. A battery that can deliver high current with minimal voltage sag is also desirable. Generally, batteries that are rechargeable are better than disposable batteries when it comes to high current capability. But even among nonrechargeable batteries, 'heavy duty' batteries come up REALLY short.

3. Stable discharge voltage is also considered desirable, especially in cheaper, nonregulated lights. A stable discharge voltage means that your light will maintain brightness as you use it rather than getting dim as the battery discharges. Again, rechargeable batteries (especially NiMH) do better in this department. And once again, 'heavy duty' batteries come out on the bottom.

4. Maintaining capacity when heavily loaded. All batteries experience loss of capacity at higher loads vs lower loads. But some do more so than others. Once again, rechargeable batteries excel here. But even though the performance of alkaline batteries is pretty deplorable in this department, 'heavy duty' batteries are even worse.

The bottom line? Unless all of your batteries are dead and you have NOTHING ELSE available, stay away from heavy duty batteries! Rechargeable batteries (in your case, NiMH for these lights) are generally going to give the best performance. They're also the most economical choice for a heavily used light. Alkaline batteries are not going to perform as well. And 'heavy duty' batteries are HORRIBLE. If your light uses AA or AAA batteries, Energizer L91/L92 lithiums are an option. They will give you performance that is closer to NiMH (vs alkalines). But they will last longer in an intermittently used light. However, they are expensive and nonrechargeable.

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
also, there is outgassing of alkalines which rechargeables don't do or do but very little. i literally blew the plastic lens off the front of my AAx2 minimag due to internal pressures from outgassing alkalines - the gases were prevented from being released due to waterproofing o-rings. it went with a loud pop in the middle of the night - startled the wife but me, just kept right on snoozing.

so maybe you should ask yourself - are you a sound or light sleeper and choose your batteries accordingly lol :)

lesliemorris85

Newly Enlightened
When it comes to batteries, there isn't really alot to ask of them. But the things we DO ask of batteries are quite important. Namely, people generally want:

1. A battery that lasts a while. This is particularly important with disposable batteries (primaries) vs rechargeable batteries (secondaries), since you have to buy new ones when they go dead. And when it comes to lasting, 'heavy duty' batteries are pretty much at the bottom.

2. A battery that can deliver high current with minimal voltage sag is also desirable. Generally, batteries that are rechargeable are better than disposable batteries when it comes to high current capability. But even among nonrechargeable batteries, 'heavy duty' batteries come up REALLY short.

3. Stable discharge voltage is also considered desirable, especially in cheaper, nonregulated lights. A stable discharge voltage means that your light will maintain brightness as you use it rather than getting dim as the battery discharges. Again, rechargeable batteries (especially NiMH) do better in this department. And once again, 'heavy duty' batteries come out on the bottom.

4. Maintaining capacity when heavily loaded. All batteries experience loss of capacity at higher loads vs lower loads. But some do more so than others. Once again, rechargeable batteries excel here. But even though the performance of alkaline batteries is pretty deplorable in this department, 'heavy duty' batteries are even worse.

The bottom line? Unless all of your batteries are dead and you have NOTHING ELSE available, stay away from heavy duty batteries! Rechargeable batteries (in your case, NiMH for these lights) are generally going to give the best performance. They're also the most economical choice for a heavily used light. Alkaline batteries are not going to perform as well. And 'heavy duty' batteries are HORRIBLE. If your light uses AA or AAA batteries, Energizer L91/L92 lithiums are an option. They will give you performance that is closer to NiMH (vs alkalines). But they will last longer in an intermittently used light. However, they are expensive and nonrechargeable.

Well said, thanks a lot for the explanation. Really appreciated.