Anyone dissasemble a Yukon yet?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if anyone has gotten that pesky head of the Yukon apart yet? If so, how did you do it and did it damage the unit?

Thanks,

-john

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I did it a few days after I first got one. It isn't hard.

Take the 2 screws out from the front. Be gentle, as they screw into plastic. Then just take a razor blade and carefully wedge it inbetween the main body (which holds the switch) and the part that holds the o-ring. Just gradually work the razor blade in along the perimeter of the seam. I got the two pieces separated in about 5 minutes.

Happy butchering! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost forgot.

No it doesn't damage it, although there's some sort of material inbetween the two pieces that gets pulled apart a bit. It's not exactly an o-ring, and it's not exactly rubber either. It's kind of like a sticky rubbery foam gasket.

The light goes back together just fine, though, and I suppose the worst that could happen if you rip apart the foam stuff too much is that you could make another gasket with a bead of silicone. Auto parts stores sell stuff specifically for this called gasket maker. It really wasn't necessary in my case, though, and I've tested the waterproofing since then, and no leaks at 2 feet. The battery case is another subject, though.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures?

:)

So it sounds like it's not glued after all, heh?

BTW, thanks.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I gutted a Yukon and took some pics. I must have missed something since it didn't come apart well. You can see the broken edges where the two parts meet. Sorry about the cat fur in the pics!

<< more and larger >>
assbly-detail-640x480.jpg

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. Those pics look familiar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any plans on modding it? I also took apart the Gemini and Zenix, and have been debating which one to go with, and what exactly to do with it. I'm looking for a fairly broad main beam (LS), with one or two 5mm's for night vision.

One thing I noticed about the Yukon is you could put a sliding switch in the battery compartment to resistor down both beams for dimming.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I did a downboy/LS/NX05 mod to this one. Details here:
Yukon Mod

(looks like you already found it)

I like the Zenix and I jumpered the resistor on mine to address the low output. It works well and is very simple, but there doesn't look like any easy way to increase the heat sink.

-john