Malkoff        
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Fire Foxes IV FF4

Default Re: Fire Foxes IV FF4

Quote Originally Posted by stevo250 View Post
    The battery carrier appears to have a loose connection...if i get all the cell into it and wiggle them in the right way i can get the little green led standby lights to come on. if i then place it into the flashlight then the green lights go out and will not come back on. This happens if I have the standby switch in the on or off position before placing the battery carrier into the light. Needless to say I'm not happy about this with such an expensive light and now will have to pay the shipping back to china to have it fixed or replaced does anyone know where I can get a replacement battery carrier as I would like to try that before shipping the whole light back to China. Thanks
    I once had that similar problem. After putting all 4 cells, pressing the carrier switch to "ON" would light up the Green Led for a second, then die out. I checked all the cells, only to find out that I had installed one of the 4 cells inverted! I put it back correctly again and the problem was gone.
    Last edited by tatasal; 10-04-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Get a spare carrier from member Lips, here is the US. He sells them for 30.00 and they will have the brighter LED indicator.
    Lambda and other high power Lights

Flashaholic

So does anyone know what current ff4 draws and what the low voltage protection is ?

Got the FF4 from Lips today, what a great light!

In 40w mode ceiling bounce test it keeps up with the SR96 in high mode... until the batteries are done. The SR96 does have 6 cells and is much larger compared with the FF4's 4 cells and compact size.

Compared to the SR90 after running in high for 30 minutes, the FF4 has twice the output even after cutting back to 24w due to heat.

It does get too hot to hold after 40 min or so.. by that time the batteries are about done anyway.

All in all an amazingly bright well made light.

An 8 or 12 cell battery tube would be the ticket for running it for extended intervals.

I'll buy one when they are available.

Enlightened

My batterie carrier died today after only 2 charge since i bought the light and the panasonic.
    The green light on the carrier blink once and nothing more .

Quote Originally Posted by edgar View Post
    My batterie carrier died today after only 2 charge since i bought the light and the panasonic.
    The green light on the carrier blink once and nothing more .
    The same thing happened to me before, only to find out that one of the cells was inverted.

Enlightened

i checked again and again no cell is inverted , i think the carrier is shot .

I also had to send mine out due to a problem with the carrier. Only used it for about an hour at most, altogether. It kept flickering, and then last time wouldn't power up at all.

Enlightened

is there any place to get a spare batterie carrier for the FF4 ?
    Mine failed so fast after that i received the light , that i didnt really enjoyed it .

Quote Originally Posted by edgar View Post
    is there any place to get a spare batterie carrier for the FF4 ?
    Mine failed so fast after that i received the light , that i didnt really enjoyed it .
    I just checked doingoutdoor and they have some on stock.

Enlightened

ah thanks i saw it , its a bit expensive , i ll wait untill they receive my broken one and replace it
    Its been almost one month since i sent it ...

Got my light from Lips a couple of days ago...very compact and bright. Anybody know an easy way to unscrew the inside bezel to get the lens out. I was thinking of running mine without the lens to avoid the initial potential of build-up on the reflector.

Enlightened

there is no deposit to worry about , i would not open it , in fear tu put some dust in there or other stuff and have to wipe and scratch the reflector .

Hi,

Iíve got my Fire-Foxes FF4. Itís amazing HID. But Unfortunately It was working just 20 min. Now When I am trying to turn on it, The HID lamp just spark and I hear high frequency noise. I use brand new Panasonic NCR18650. If somebody had the same problem ? What can be a reason of the issue ?

Thank you for your replies

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Nigra View Post
    Hi,

I’ve got my Fire-Foxes FF4. It’s amazing HID. But Unfortunately It was working just 20 min. Now When I am trying to turn on it, The HID lamp just spark and I hear high frequency noise. I use brand new Panasonic NCR18650. If somebody had the same problem ? What can be a reason of the issue ?

Thank you for your replies
    I had an issue with my battery carrier. On mine it would just cut out after a little bit but if you unscrew the tailswitch a little bit it worked fine. I ordered a new battery carrier but I was also able to fix the one by taking it apart and tightening one of the screws for the columns that would break contact when the tailcap was screwed on all the way.

Enlightened

make sure your batteries are fully charged .
    This little light dont have alot of runing time tho.

mhemling33, edgar thank you for your advices.I've already checked these but got the same result - My Fire-foxes FF4 doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Nigra View Post
    mhemling33, edgar thank you for your advices.I've already checked these but got the same result - My Fire-foxes FF4 doesn't work
    I couldn't find reason of the issue and sent my flashlight back to the seller

Just looking around at other threads and on several other forums. There seems to be a high number of failures on this particular light. How reliable are they? I couldnt wait to get one but now Im having second thoughts.

Flashaholic

Mine also had a battery carrier issue. Took it appart and checked all the screws and couldn't locate the problem so I ordered a replacement carrier from lips on here and it works great now! The indicator leds are also upgraded and brighter on the new carrier :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by stollman View Post
    I was thinking of running mine without the lens to avoid the initial potential of build-up on the reflector.

I would treat reflector and head assembly like an operating room if you want to keep it it tip top shape. A slight film on the glass, if it even occurs, is way easier to deal with at the time it needs addressing. Once the reflector is dusty, or worse... it will likely never be the same.

Runtime

Just curious what people are getting on their runtimes (Panasonic 3400mah batteries)? Either at 24W or 40W

Quote Originally Posted by stollman View Post
    Runtime

Just curious what people are getting on their runtimes (Panasonic 3400mah batteries)? Either at 24W or 40W
    I can't quote runtimes on mine, as I have never run it down all the way, but I would advise against using NCR18650B's (3400's). The light is meant to be used with unprotected Panasonic NCR18650PD or NCR18650PF 2900mAh cells, which are a hybrid cell that have less voltage sag at high currents.

Not my testing but someone did one...

Runtime Test

Sanyo 2600 24W 55min 40W 40min
    Panasonic 2900 24W 65min 40W 55min
    Panasonic 3400 24w ? 40w ?

Guy I sold one to ran it continuously at 60w. Not sure what batteries he used. Got 7 min at 60w... (3 min + 3 min + 1 min)

Panasonic 2900 mah 18650PD true 10 amp batteries should give most run-time on High Output levels

Quote Originally Posted by Lips View Post
    Not my testing but someone did one...

Runtime Test

Sanyo 2600 24W 55min 40W 40min
    Panasonic 2900 24W 65min 40W 55min
    Panasonic 3400 24w ? 40w ?

Guy I sold one to ran it continuously at 60w. Not sure what batteries he used. Got 7 min at 60w... (3 min + 3 min + 1 min)

Panasonic 2900 mah 18650PD true 10 amp batteries should give most run-time on High Output levels

Fire-Foxes advised me today you can get 75min run-time with 3400mah batteries, but the light would technically be too hot to hold.

A little video I made on the FF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB2YlTRsYMs

Flashaholic

Does anyone know how to take out the HID bulb ?

Since this light has a 67mm thread on the front, I was looking for some filters that might work with the light. I called the optical experts at B&H Photo and told them my high temperature application. They recommended the following filters made in Germany (high end). The filters can be purchased at B&H Photo, Amazon and other photography shops. I am not saying these will work, but I am going to try a UV filter and apply a glass etching compound (Armour Etch) to create a diffuser. Just sharing some information for consideration. I sent a copy of this posting to Fire-Foxes for their opinion. If I hear anything back, I'll make another post.

B&W Filters:
    ∑ 67mm Standard Size
    ∑ Brass Filter Ring (Heat won’t expand ring like that of an Aluminum Ring)
    ∑ High Quality Schott Glass (heat resistant)
    o http://www.phy.davidson.edu/fachome/...assfilters.pdf
    ∑ Manufactured in Germany

B+W, UV Haze SC 010 Filter
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=
    ∑ Mfr # 65-070138
    ∑ Single Coating
    ∑ $30.00

B+W, UV Haze MRC M Filter
    ∑ Mfr # 66-070236
    ∑ Multi-Coating (anti-reflection coating-> increases light transmission
    ∑ $42.00

B&W, #29 Dark Red (091) Filter
    ∑ Mfr # 65-072121
    ∑ Glass is colored. There is no “tint film”
    ∑ $42.00

B&W, #8 Yellow (022) MRC Filter
    ∑ Mfg# 66-045921
    ∑ Glass is colored. There is no “tint film”
    ∑ $52.00

I purchased a clear B+W 67mm UV Filter and turned in into a Diffuser for the light.
    I used a glass etching compound found at most craft stores.
    I did consider using a Hoya 67mm HMC UV(c) filter, but I did not think it would stand up to the heat.
    The B&H Photo expert I talked to said the B+W would be a good choice for a high temp application.
    Below is a picture that shows both filters. The Hoya weighs 1.8oz and the B+W weighs 2.9 oz.
    The B+W Filter is much more robust than the Hoya, and incorporates a high quality glass with a brass ring
    which is resistant to heat expansion (unlike the Hoya filter).

B+W Filter as sold in original condition

B+W Filter with glass etching

Beam shot without the Diffuser:

Beam shot with the Diffuser:

Diffuser on the FF4 with the lens cap:

I ran the light for 10 minutes with the Diffuser on it without issue. The light was pretty hot by then.
    No damage to the light or the filter. The filter easily unscrewed after the light cooled off.

I think the B+W Line filters should work fine with this light.

Per an earlier post, B+W makes a red and yellow 67mm filter.
    Last edited by stollman; 01-11-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314 LastLast