NITECORE TM26 QUADRAY (4 x XM-L U2 | 1-4x18650 / 2-8xR/CR123) Review

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore raises the stakes in one-upmanship with the latest in their Tiny Monster series, the TM26:

Five well-spaced output levels with range between 3 to 3500 lumens easily accessed via a two-stage electronic switch? - Check!
OLED display that can indicate: battery voltage/gauge, estimated runtime, internal temperature? - Check!
Built-in active thermal management, charger and tripod mount? - Check!
All this in a light not much bigger than a can of soda? - Check!

Suffice to say, the TM26 is currently one of the most technologically advanced flashlight in production. However, cynicists would point out that extra features just means extra things to potentially malfunction. Will they be right in this case? Let's see...

MFG SPECS
- The world's smallest 3500 lumen LED flashlight
- Integrated multi-function OLED display
- Thermal protection circuit prevents overheating
- Compatible with both 18650 Li-ion and CR123 batteries
- Intelligent charging circuit with voltage detection charges safely and rapidly
- Exceptionally long runtimes using 4 × 18650 Li-ion or 8 × CR123 batteries
- Capable of using 1 × 18650 or 2 x CR123 batteries in emergency situations
- Eight rapidly switchable brightness levels and modes to select from
- Innovative single button two-stage switch provides a user-friendly interface (Patented)
- Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
- Integrated "Precision Digital Optics Technology" provides extreme reflector performance
- Stainless steel bezel ring protects core components from damage
- Constructed from aerospace-grade aluminum alloy
- HAIII military grade hard-anodized
- Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (submersible to two meters)
- AC charging cable included

PACKAGING / CONTENTS
The TM26 arrived in the following box and ample foam cushioning:

Additional accessories included are:
- 1 x o-ring
- spare rubber charging port cover
- wrist strap
- 100-240V ~50/60Hz charger (Output: 12V/1000mA)
- silica gel (yes, it's worth a mention, always nice to see this included w/electronic equipment)

VIDEO SUMMARY
Here is a complete video summary of the TM26 while while I work on fleshing out this review:

SIZE / HANDLING

L to R (both pics): NITECORE TM11 | Shadow SL3 | NITECORE TM26 | Sunwayman T60CS | Niteye EYE30 | APEX 5T6

The above shots demonstrate just how compact the TM26 vs. other multi-emitter and multi-cell (w/exception of the SL3) lights.

Here are some direct comparo's vs. the TM11:

BEAMSHOTS
Indoors (5m)

L5

L4

L3

L2

L1

For details of the above indoor shots and comparo vs. many other lights, please check Epic Indoor Shots Trilogy

OUTDOOR COMPARO VID

Please see this thread for commentary on this vid.

RUNTIME & OUTPUT
The relevant battery stats are provided above each runtime graph along with:
- Voltage of the battery at the start and end of the test
- Current draw
- Actual runtime using ANSI FL1 (first in HR and then in M so for the RL3400 on Turbo, read this as 3.0hrs or 181min)
- As of May 2012: Lumens measured on my PVC LMD @ 30 seconds
- Also for Turbo, captured the temperature: ambient, the head/fins at start and the max it reached (fan was used for all bats)

Max output measured @ 30 seconds was 3560lms w/4xRediLast 3400's (note: although I calibrate my PVC LMD before each runtime/lumens testing, the ambient temp will also cause deviations in readings).

There is a general mild decline in output from the moment the TM26 is first turned until the thermal management kicked in at 3.75 minutes and the TM26 stepped down to L4. This is maintained in perfect regulation until the cells can no longer sustain output at which there starts a gradual decline. I didn't capture the tail-end of the run (the nose dive portion) since my logger cut out but total time to 10% of initial output was about three hours.

In L4 (High) mode, the TM26 will run nearly perfectly regulated for the full duration without stepping down:

CHARGING ALGO

• The TM26's built-in charger doesn't exhibit a true CC/CV curve given that the current starts declining at a good clip a little over an hour into the charge
    • this prolongs charging by a bit; case in point, four fully depleted RediLast 3400's took ~9.4hrs to charge
  • Termination current is ~122mA (30.5mA if charging four cells)
  • In general, charging has been quite conservative; as it stands I haven't been able to get any cells charged above 4.18V
    • pro is that it'll lead to longer overall life of the cells used and is generally very safe
    • con is that if max runtime is desired, then one would need to charge the cells externally with a different charger to 4.2V (or whatever is the max for the cells in use since there are some newer batteries that can be charged to 4.35V)
  • Upon termination, there is a current draw of 8mA (due to the charging indicator light and the OLED display)
    • this isn't exactly trivial especially if less than four cells are used so I'd recommend always unplugging the charger when charging is complete
    • otherwise stand by current drain is respectable @ ~1.5mA w/spikes to 4mA due to locater beacon
  • Is able to reset a tripped PCB's
  • There is a weird voltage spike approximately 25min into the charge; it's likely due to my wiring config but I'll report back if I run another charging test in the future

TM26 GALLERY

=======
TM26 provided by Nitecore for review.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
There is a general mild decline in output from the moment the TM26 is first turned until the thermal management kicked in at 3.75 minutes and the TM26 stepped down to L4. This is maintained in perfect regulation until the cells can no longer sustain output at which there starts a gradual decline. I didn't capture the tail-end of the run since my logger cut but total time to 10% of initial output was about three hours.

It's great to see that the OLED displays conservative numbers since on a full charge, switched to L4, my light estimates 2.1 hours. Thanks for the helpful run-time chart and outstanding pictures. I'd like to put a link in my video for this thread if it's okay with you Turbo.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not at all, please do. Tons more testing ahead and hopefully if weather cooperates (and my wide-angle lens arrives) I'll try to get outdoors for some comparo shots/vid.

Cheers,
Tim

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks Turbo!

The regulation at L4 is pretty amazing on this light. It's surprising that people aren't running around with their party whistles over the TM26 but apparently that $90 retail difference is the step off point for a lot of people. They all want the next greatest thing as long as it's a dollar for dollar replacement to the old. It's interesting to the point that I've wondered had Nitecore released a XM-L2 U2 TM15, would it be getting more attention..haha!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, although straight-up L4 doesn't seem to be as efficient yielding only a few minutes more runtime... :shrug:

All,
Indoors 5m shots now added.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and very revealing runtime graph. The performance you have measure is much as I suspected it would be.

itguy07

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. Am I reading it right that you only get 3-4 mins on Turbo? Seems to be a step down from the TM15 where I can go about 20 mins on Turbo before it steps down.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
does the displayed runtime estimate change as the batteries deplete?
I'd imagine that it should and that it's calculated off of the voltage reading but it seems that the only thing that is actively being updated in real time is the temp readout whereas the battery reading isn't as accurate during actual use. I'm currently testing this further to see if I can pinpoint the cause.

UPDATE: The voltage does seem to be updated frequently enough but the runtime is only calculated to 1/10 (e.g. 1.5hrs, 1.6hrs, 1.7hrs and not 1.51hrs, 1.52hrs, 1.53hrs) so basically it'll only update with each .1v drop.

Basically, you should expect something like:
VoltageRuntime

Thanks for the review and very revealing runtime graph. The performance you have measure is much as I suspected it would be.
Yeah I actually hit 3700 (at initial turn-on) consistently with a second sample that was sent for testing it's easily 100 over the first one although not really visible to the naked eye.

Interesting. Am I reading it right that you only get 3-4 mins on Turbo? Seems to be a step down from the TM15 where I can go about 20 mins on Turbo before it steps down.
Yes, it's temperature dependent although you can re-initiate turbo for a shorter period thereafter. As for TM15 comparo, that's not really apples to apples since TM15 outputs "only" 2450 lumens so not even in the same league...

Last edited:

itguy07

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it's temperature dependent although you can re-initiate turbo for a shorter period thereafter. As for TM15 comparo, that's not really apples to apples since TM15 outputs "only" 2450 lumens so not even in the same league...

Yeah I get that but it just seems with the improved head size and heatsinking it would at least be able to keep up with the turbo runtime of the TM15. If you really need Turbo I don't think 3 minutes is long enough and is most likely to be even shorter outside in the summer. I dono, maybe a little higher high would have been better.

Still a great light though!!!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yeah I get that but it just seems with the improved head size and heatsinking it would at least be able to keep up with the turbo runtime of the TM15. If you really need Turbo I don't think 3 minutes is long enough and is most likely to be even shorter outside in the summer. I dono, maybe a little higher high would have been better.

Turbo measured 3.75 min. so perhaps call it four if we're going to estimate. Also keep in mind that both the TM26 & TM15 are temperature regulated and baseline temperatures are often not even listed. If you're getting 20+ minutes with you TM15 at ambient X, then you might get 8-10 minutes with the TM26 at the same temperature. In other words, just because I got 3 minutes & TurboBB got 4 minutes, doesn't mean that you couldn't get more in the temperature that you're using it. On recent walks outside, I've noticed that it's not switching down and I'm running it a lot longer than 3-4 minutes.

I think you're attributing "improved head size and heatsinking" as an upgrade but the design is really only being dictated by fact that it's a quad LED and nothing more. The only way to keep it on turbo longer would be to make the light larger. The TM26 is actually 10grams lighter than the TM15 so adding a fourth LED will obviously result in substantially quicker heating. L4 on this light is actually perfectly spaced in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't want it higher because the step between L4 and turbo really isn't that dramatic because of the way are eyes perceive light differences.

As TurboBB mentioned, you can instantly bump the light above 50C if you choose. I've had mine to 60C without issue.

Last edited:

warmurf

Enlightened
All I can say is "WOW".

The specs and performance of this light in a package of it's size is incrediable.

I now have one on the way (well probably tomorrow as it's still Sunday in the States?).:sigh:

Can't wait. I understand the cost is a show stopper for many but if you can get it for the right price, this is a "MUST HAVE" light for any flashaholic.:naughty:

This is a flashlight like a Ferrai is a KIA. It surpasses what we've been used to. It's a new era light.:eek:oo:

Thanks for another great review!

Last edited:

icehunter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. This light got me pretty excited, nice display, small size and excellent output. Wonder if it would stand recoil if mounted on a gun?

This thread is surprisingly quiet, the high price is probably putting people off, as you can get the similar output Blackshadow-Terminator (4xXML) for $150 (although it has high standby drain) or even the 2600lm TK75 (3xXML) for $200 (although bigger size), to name a few.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 on this light is actually perfectly spaced in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't want it higher because the step between L4 and turbo really isn't that dramatic because of the way are eyes perceive light differences.

Isn't that drastic??? L4 is 1,700 lumens and turbo is 3,500, that's slightly over DOUBLE output. That's pretty drastic in my book.

Dillo0

Newly Enlightened
Isn't that drastic??? L4 is 1,700 lumens and turbo is 3,500, that's slightly over DOUBLE output. That's pretty drastic in my book.

The eyes perceives light intensity logarithmically, so it really isn't that much different. Your eyes will not see it as twice as bright.

AILL

Newly Enlightened
The Light-testers from the german "Messerforum" have this light in hands at the moment:

http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?116426-Nitecore-TM-26-Quadray

We have noticed a bug: the voltage display shows the correct voltage only over 3V. If You leave the light on, the batteries will deplete, whilst still showing ~3V.
Batteries were removed from the light with 2,4V! Display still showed 3V.

A second light from a member of the forum has the same strage behaviour, so we don't talk of a "lemon".

http://www.messerforum.net/showthre...-TM-26-Quadray&p=913770&viewfull=1#post913770

Andreas

Last edited:

JetskiMark

Enlightened
turboBB, thank you for the review and all of the nice photos and the video.

The Light-testers from the german "Messerforum" have this light in hands at the moment:

http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?116426-Nitecore-TM-26-Quadray

We have noticed a bug: the voltage display shows the correct voltage only over 3V. If You leave the light on, the batteries will deplete, whilst still showing ~3V.
Batteries were removed from the light with 2,4V! Display still showed 3V.

A second light from a member of the forum has the same strage behaviour, so we don't talk of a "lemon".

http://www.messerforum.net/showthre...-TM-26-Quadray&p=913770&viewfull=1#post913770

Andreas

AILL, thank you for the links. There are some nice beam shots there.

Here is a Google translation of the first link.

lumenjedi1

Newly Enlightened
I put 4 old jetbeam 18650's in mine there about two years old every mode but turbo worked when I hit turbo the whole light shuts down even display have to twist open and closed to restart