Suggestions on "tactical" messenger bag, please?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so I make a lot of the nylon gear I use myself, but...I am not sure I am up to making a large bag like this, so I wanted to ask for suggestions on a good messenger bag/briefcase type bag. I put my 5.11 one up for sale because it is just too large/bulky for what I need. I guess I need something smaller than it is.

I had an emdom TNT bag before and didn't care for it due to the build quality and the sub-par materials used in it. I ended up selling it too.

I guess what I'm looking for is something like it, but made with 1000D cordura nylon throughout. I've been thinking of contacting EGL and seeing if he'll make one for me, but I am not sure what his backlog is like these days.

Sorry for rambling...if anyone has any suggestions on a well-built bag, please PM me. Thanks! (Heck, maybe this will give me the motivation to move onto larger projects and make my own...:) )

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I use, and have been happy with the ITS Tactical Discreet Messenger bag. Looks like they are in stock now. It was over a year between Gen 1 and 2 I think with absolutely no availability. Although now they seem to be readily available again. I don't think I can post a link here per the rules, but you can find it if you do a google search.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the "Rush Delivery Messenger Bag".

I think I will just make my own for the prices people are asking for current models elsewhere. EGL quoted me $550 to make one due to the "planning and research" he would need to do. I thought he had enough experience that there wouldn't be that much involved. Or maybe that is how he justifies the prices he asks or something. But I can make what I want for a whole lot less than that...it'll just take some time. Course...it would've taken him a long time too, so...probably not losing much there. :)

rmvsintheta

Newly Enlightened
I've had my eye on this for a while, but can't justify the price given that I have a fully functional bag that isn't in need of replacement. Web site link removed.
I don't have any personal experience with this bag, but every HSGI product I've bought has failed to disappoint- I personally find their stitch quality to be better than Tactical Tailor, and about on par with OSOE...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my eye on this for a while, but can't justify the price given that I have a fully functional bag that isn't in need of replacement. Web site link removed.
I don't have any personal experience with this bag, but every HSGI product I've bought has failed to disappoint- I personally find their stitch quality to be better than Tactical Tailor, and about on par with OSOE...

I used to like hsgi stuff until 1) I started making my own gear and 2) until they started using woven Multicam webbing instead of printed.

I looked at their Armordilla bag and that other one they have and they looked ok...I think I am going to build a hybrid of the Emdom TNT and the discreet messenger bag. Basically a DMB with a storage area on the top of the bag for fast access.

OSOE stuff is good too...I try to ensure my build quality is at least as good as theirs or better. I really need to get a zigzag machine, but don't have a spare $750+ laying around anywhere...:)

MatthewSB

Enlightened
I love HSGI, and would have one of their Messenger Bags if I had an extra couple hundred dollars to spend on a bag.

I've had a Maxpedition Larkspur for a few years, and it still looks new. I haven't treated it very well, and it has yet to tear or wear a hole or become damaged in any other way. The organization isn't the best, but I have a Fatty Organizer in one of the big pockets, and there is still room for a 500ml Nalgene bottle in that same pocket. The other pocket is big enough to fit 3x 500ml water bottles, lunch, or whatever else. This is all without going into the main pocket where I usually have a light hoodie, a few file folders with paperwork from the office, and whatever else. The side pockets fit a flashlight like my LX2. The best part is that it doesn't look very "tactical" due to the flap covering the pockets. It's also not a huge Messenger bag, but it's not too small either. I'm about to buy a spare, just to keep around in case my main breaks or the discontinue them, I'm not sure what I'd do without it.

I get a lot of compliments from yuppies and metrosexuals asking me where they can get one, so I'm sure it blends in well and won't draw the wrong kind of attention.

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
IMO an EDC-bag should be fairly lightweight, and it should have a wide pad where it weights on your shoulder. And it should be opened quickly in case of first aid. Consider second hand via the internet, or in an army surplus store, or army surplus webstore.