EA8, you gotta really love AAs

jay_rush

Unenlightened
The new nitecore EA8 came out yesterday, i dont own any AA size lights, i know i should in case of emergencies n stuff but I just always thought of AAs as weak and old school, for remotes and old school game boys. I was looking at this picture of the EA8...

xehmxh.jpg
[/IMG]

Those Duracell batteries would cost very close to or even more than $20AU retail. Would I pay $20 every time I wanted to run one of my lights for <2hours? HELL NO (i like turbos lol). I know people have eneloops and stuff but the runtime would be reduced and charging and keeping track of them would be a nightmare. i have a i4 charger. I could only charge 4 at a time and then reload the charger again with another 4. Plus if i had an EA8 i would buy at least 2 or more sets of batteries for it, so minimum i would have is 16+! batteries going in and out of chargers just for this one light. Keeping track of which ones were charged and which ones were not would be a whole other crazy story.
i just wanted to ask you AA battery people if this light is getting a little to much when it comes to batteries, or is it not even close to what you would accept as getting too ridiculous. If the EA10 came out with 12 or 16 AA's is that just a....regular thing?

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
The new nitecore EA8 came out yesterday, i dont own any AA size lights, i know i should in case of emergencies n stuff but I just always thought of AAs as weak and old school, for remotes and old school game boys. I was looking at this picture of the EA8...

Those Duracell batteries would cost very close to or even more than $20AU retail. Would I pay $20 every time I wanted to run one of my lights for <2hours? HELL NO (i like turbos lol). I know people have eneloops and stuff but the runtime would be reduced and charging and keeping track of them would be a nightmare. i have a i4 charger. I could only charge 4 at a time and then reload the charger again with another 4. Plus if i had an EA8 i would buy at least 2 or more sets of batteries for it, so minimum i would have is 16+! batteries going in and out of chargers just for this one light. Keeping track of which ones were charged and which ones were not would be a whole other crazy story.
i just wanted to ask you AA battery people if this light is getting a little to much when it comes to batteries, or is it not even close to what you would accept as getting too ridiculous. If the EA10 came out with 12 or 16 AA's is that just a....regular thing?

I own an EA4, and, for the most part, am very pleased with it. I would consider investing in an EA8, if the throw was significantly better out of that (with the larger/deeper head and additional voltage), as opposed to the EA4. I have a slew of NimH AAs (some eneloops, too), two Nitecore i4 chargers and a La Crosse BC-700, so it wouldn't be an issue, charging them and keeping charged sets on-hand. At the moment, I'm kind of wondering how this would stack up against the new Olight M22; but that probably wouldn't be a fair comparison, because of the completely different battery formats, emitters, etc.

I'll hold off and wait to see what people have to say about this (and Olight's new M22), before making any purchases. I just checked out Battery Junction's website, and they hadn't yet posted the price, but did post a lot of other very useful information. We'll see.

I'm guessing it'll be in the 90-100 dollar range, though. The M22 would be a lot more convenient, with a single 18650 lithium ion battery; but if the EA8 had spectacular throw/run time, for it's size/price/weight, that would be a consideration, in spite of using so many AA batteries. The M Series Olights have a long-standing history of ruggedness and dependability, so that's another thing to consider.

As far as Nitecore lights go, I've only got the one EA4, and I suspect it's the first in a series of Nitecore purchases I'll make this year. The build quality seems very nice. I haven't yet road-tested it that much, so it's a little premature to vouch for it's reliability under real-world conditions. Again, time will tell.

Dr.444

Enlightened

i like AA battery flashlights so i'll keep buying then even if they came up with 32 AA's light:takeit:

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
agree. 8 cells too many, PITA to charge since most chargers are 4-bay. then you'd have to deal with premature termination with some chargers which leads to the cell being reverse charged. a lot of work to maintain groups of 8 balanced cells.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to understand that the AA lights are mainly aimed at the neophyte market who are just coming into the advanced flashlight world for the first time, and they tend to stick to the things that they are familiar with, such as AA batteries and side switches.
It's the way that entry level consumers get drawn in.

Eventually they begin to learn more, and progress to the things that the rest of us more experienced people use.
Granted, there are some who never progress beyond the entry level stuff. But these AA lights with side switches are how the manufacturers draw the beginners into the more advanced market, and then these consumers learn the ropes, and can move into the more advanced products.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to understand that the AA lights are mainly aimed at the neophyte market who are just coming into the advanced flashlight world for the first time, and they tend to stick to the things that they are familiar with, such as AA batteries and side switches.

Eventually they begin to learn more, and progress to the things that the rest of us more experienced people use.
Granted, there are some who never progress beyond the entry level stuff. But these AA lights with side switches are how the manufacturers draw the beginners into the more advanced market, and then these consumers learn the ropes, and can move into the more advanced products.

I think you explained that quite well,the AA/AAA market is the most used format of battery power in the world.C&D cell seem to be hanging on just but for consumer use AA/AAA is found so easily.

markr6

Flashaholic
I mentioned in another thread that 8 cells is becoming a bit much for me...on to something using 18650 Li-Ions. But if someone already has a Maha MH-C801D, this would be a nice setup with Eneloops. I'm not saying a beginner should go buy $200+ worth of gear though.

holylight

Enlightened

the other 2 simply reasons y many buy aa flashlight is due to, they are readily available and they are small :D

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the other 2 simply reasons y many buy aa flashlight is due to, they are readily available and they are small :D

Okay. This quote pretty much illustrates my point.

First, lets look at the "readily available" myth.
For the 8 years that I have been a member of this forum, I have NEVER seen ANYONE recommend using ANY alkaline battery in any flashlight for any reason. This is because they are commonly called "alka-leaks" and they destroy your flashlight. So, never use any of them. That pretty much does away with the "readily available" part, because no thinking person would EVER put one of those into his flashlight, if he ever wants to see his light working again. Only beginners would ever contemplate such a thing.
On top of that, alka-leaks are known to have problems delivering current, and are mostly good for low-drain devices like clocks and remote controls. They are not good batteries for flashlights of any decent power output.
So, then we need to use Eneloops, which aren't so "readily available" anywhere, and you normally have to order some.
Secondly, even if it was a dire emergency where you would contemplate risking the death of your (maybe)only flashlight by putting in the dreaded alka-leaks, the first batteries that are fully depleted from store stocks in any emergency are AA batteries, so you have the worst chance of actually getting any in an emergency, than pretty much ANY other form of battery.
So, AA batteries are not available in emergencies.
This is a good case for saying that AA would be the WORST possible choice of any battery type for emergency use.

Regarding the "small" aspect, they are fairly narrow, but pretty long. The CR123 are shorter, but a little fatter. Eneloop AAA are shorter AND narrower, but less capacity.
It would come down to a personal choice if a person wanted a longer and slimmer light, rather than a shorter and fatter light.

These are the things which have been repeated over and over here on CPF over the years, by many people who were experts here on CPF before I ever even signed up.
That's how I learned them.

holylight

Enlightened
Okay. This quote pretty much illustrates my point.

First, lets look at the "readily available" myth.
For the 8 years that I have been a member of this forum, I have NEVER seen ANYONE recommend using ANY alkaline battery in any flashlight for any reason. This is because they are commonly called "alka-leaks" and they destroy your flashlight. So, never use any of them. That pretty much does away with the "readily available" part, because no thinking person would EVER put one of those into his flashlight, if he ever wants to see his light working again. Only beginners would ever contemplate such a thing.
On top of that, alka-leaks are known to have problems delivering current, and are mostly good for low-drain devices like clocks and remote controls. They are not good batteries for flashlights of any decent power output.
So, then we need to use Eneloops, which aren't so "readily available" anywhere, and you normally have to order some.
Secondly, even if it was a dire emergency where you would contemplate risking the death of your (maybe)only flashlight by putting in the dreaded alka-leaks, the first batteries that are fully depleted from store stocks in any emergency are AA batteries, so you have the worst chance of actually getting any in an emergency, than pretty much ANY other form of battery.
So, AA batteries are not available in emergencies.
This is a good case for saying that AA would be the WORST possible choice of any battery type for emergency use.

Regarding the "small" aspect, they are fairly narrow, but pretty long. The CR123 are shorter, but a little fatter. Eneloop AAA are shorter AND narrower, but less capacity.
It would come down to a personal choice if a person wanted a longer and slimmer light, rather than a shorter and fatter light.

These are the things which have been repeated over and over here on CPF over the years, by many people who were experts here on CPF before I ever even signed up.
That's how I learned them.

i close the case since u only seee this point
nana.gif

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AA's charge fast and are simple to use. No measuring voltage etc. Charge em, pop em in, use till they need charged, rinse repeat. Initial expense isn't any more than a lithium ion set up and it safer and simpler. Not sure any single or dual lithium set up can match the output vs runtime either. Of course you can get into the triple+ lithium battery lights, but, thats additional cost and safety issues. Not to mention, quite a few other home products use AA batteries. Not so much for the lithium rechargables aside from specialized battery packs.

Maha 8 bay charger 65 ish, can get other smaller for less. 20 ish per 8 set of eneloops. Pila Charger about 55 ish, can get others for less. 30ish for a couple AW 18650. I consider a multimeter needed as well, but some go without so won't add that in. Those numbers are pretty close. Of course the number could be fudged some either way but they are close enough.

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Okay. This quote pretty much illustrates my point. First, lets look at the "readily available" myth. For the 8 years that I have been a member of this forum, I have NEVER seen ANYONE recommend using ANY alkaline battery in any flashlight for any reason. This is because they are commonly called "alka-leaks" and they destroy your flashlight. So, never use any of them. That pretty much does away with the "readily available" part, because no thinking person would EVER put one of those into his flashlight, if he ever wants to see his light working again. Only beginners would ever contemplate such a thing. On top of that, alka-leaks are known to have problems delivering current, and are mostly good for low-drain devices like clocks and remote controls. They are not good batteries for flashlights of any decent power output. So, then we need to use Eneloops, which aren't so "readily available" anywhere, and you normally have to order some. Secondly, even if it was a dire emergency where you would contemplate risking the death of your (maybe)only flashlight by putting in the dreaded alka-leaks, the first batteries that are fully depleted from store stocks in any emergency are AA batteries, so you have the worst chance of actually getting any in an emergency, than pretty much ANY other form of battery. So, AA batteries are not available in emergencies. This is a good case for saying that AA would be the WORST possible choice of any battery type for emergency use. Regarding the "small" aspect, they are fairly narrow, but pretty long. The CR123 are shorter, but a little fatter. Eneloop AAA are shorter AND narrower, but less capacity. It would come down to a personal choice if a person wanted a longer and slimmer light, rather than a shorter and fatter light. These are the things which have been repeated over and over here on CPF over the years, by many people who were experts here on CPF before I ever even signed up. That's how I learned them.
I've never seen any 18650 cells in any B&M store. Very rare to see CR123. Alkalines and NiMH everywhere. CR123 may be disappearing because no one uses film cameras any more.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen any 18650 cells in any B&M store. Very rare to see CR123. Alkalines and NiMH everywhere. CR123 may be disappearing because no one uses film cameras any more.

Yes, I agree that single 18650 Li-Ion would be a rare sight in a B&M store. No argument there.
But pretty much every common device now operating on batteries for any significant power supply, such as cell phone, laptop, camera, etc, are all running on Li-Ion batteries. And it's for a reason.

dougie

Enlightened
Whilst alkaline AA batteries can leak it isn't often that seen in devices which are used regularly and checked regularly. Lithium batteries such as CR123's are available in lots of places but 18650's aren't. Effectively, AA batteries (alkaline or rechargeable) are sold everywhere meaning devices which use them are easy to keep working. In an emergency you can even use batteries removed from something else which uses them.

Does this mean that they are the best solution for flashlights? No! However, they do provide individuals with the chance of purchasing a light which suits a particular need if they perceive that AA batteries are either cheaper or easier to obtain. In my case in the UK not only are CR123's very expensive but they are also at the moment hard to get delivered as Royal Mail has banned the carrying of lithium batteries. Having CR123's delivered by an alternative carrier is much more expensive. With this in mind moving over to AA battery powered flashlights mean that I am not dependant on overly expensive lithium batteries which seems to be a sensible option?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's also the fact that this grants (8*1.2*2) watt hours, or 19 watt-hours. That's like two super premium 18650s, with no Li-Ion hazards for people who just don't want to deal with that hazard or expense. NiMH AAs, especially Eneloops, are quite reliable for intense use for most people. In five years it will certainly be possible to ship 18650s, but in the meantime it is likely to get mighty hairy to source them. So AAs have:

Safety, availability, adequate power output, and lower cost. What's to lose?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two i4 intellachargers, and 3 other four bay chargers. 16 Panasonic Nimh batteries, and 12 energizer Nimh batteries that I could use for this. I used to have a Fenix tk40 and loved it, if I don't end up getting the EA8, I'll get a TK41.

as long as the EA8 throws good ill probably get one. Eight AA batteries is not too many batteries, compared to the price of
four cr123's to get a similar runtime