Did anyone here ever own, or know someone who owned a Yugo?

Frijid

Enlightened
I am currently reading a book about yugo's and they were talking trash about them. i was just wondering if they are really as bad as they say they were or was the book just biased?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hahahaha... being born in ex-Yu state, I've seen them around all the time (I still do)...

Never owned one, though...

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen a few of them up here in Canada when I was younger but I have never owned one.

Two friends at work know them well, one is a Croat and the other is Bosnian. Both of them laughed when I asked them about Yugo's.

cerbie

Enlightened
I am currently reading a book about yugo's and they were talking trash about them. i was just wondering if they are really as bad as they say they were or was the book just biased?
My father had one for years. It was a spartan budget Euro car, sure, but lack of wide parts distribution was the only real problem he had with it.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't go knocking Ladas. My father bought one when I was a kid. A bit agricutural but dirt cheap and just like agricutural machines, they went on and on for years. Eventually, when it did break down after about 100k miles, it only took 5 mins with a spanner to fix.
Not much in luxury but solid as a rock.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one good thing about the Yugo was the heated back window. When it broke down and you had to push it in the cold weather, at least your hands would not freeze...

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in ex-Yu states, the parts for it were dirt cheap... you can still fix almost complete car for like $200... it does around 34mpg around town so it's somewhat economical (can't compete with modern direct injection machines, but then again, not so many parts that can go down)...

The other day my friend, who's first car was Yugo, said that he's kind of nostalgic of it as he had so many cool memories with it... he misses the smell of gasoline when he was entering the car every time... :)