My Nitecore Failure

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
Well, i strayed to a Nitecore, EC2, loved the small size, and all the differnt light intensities. But after only 6 weeks of use, and nary a scratch on it, it failed me during the great blizzard of 13. Dealer checked it, and it had some catastrophic failure in the light engine. Only thing that worked was the red LED. They graciously took it back.

Is this a common problem ? Looking for another EDC compact light.

Mine failed due to water ingess. I ran it under the sink for a moment to rinse it off, and noticed some condensation inside the lens. I ran it on high for a bit, and left it open to dry for a couple days. The white LED stopped working about a week later. The red LED continued to function. I couldn't figure out how to get the head open to inspect it or dry it out more, but BatteryJunction took it back, I'm waiting for a replacement.

greeny1

Newly Enlightened
I think it's fair to say all torches fail from time to time. I recently got a dead Zebralight SC52. There doesn't seem to be any general issues with this light that I have heard.

CostcoAAcells

Newly Enlightened
I'm still sad about my Nitecore EC2. It was the perfect form factor for me, barely bigger than the 18650 cell inside of it. With a water bottle cap on the front as diffusion, it was a great light for up close work and had a decent throwing beam without the cap. I miss the side switches. This little light did it all for me. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. The first one I received started showing the same problems you described after a few weeks. I sent it back and the vendor sent me a replacement. Even the replacement developed the same problem after a few more weeks. The vendor allowed me to choose a different light, I went with a Klarus XT-11--apples and oranges, I know. A Sunwayman V10r ti2 has taken the place of the EC2. Running on a 14500, it just doesn't have the runtime of an 18650. I'm still looking for that perfect light.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
That perfect light...at least close to it, seems to be the EC25. There is just so much I love about it. The range, the power, the size...

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
MIne never got wet. It took a very light fall, but several days later, just stopped. I wash my lights all the time too, more likje actually disinfecting them due to work. But I never even got this one up to the front line, it failed way too early.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to here about your luck, I have the EC1 and love it as much or more than my EC25. Been tempted to order another from the series. Hopefully they send you a replacement

altec135

Newly Enlightened
Bought my MH2C on Sept 5. Tonight I dropped it about 5" onto my counter top. It flashed briefly and now it won't turn on. It will still charge but won't turn on. I'm honestly pissed off and about had it with made in China crap. I read and viewed so many reviews regarding this flash light and majority are good. I bought this flashlight assuming it was quality especially for $70. WtF!!!! Has anyone returned or had any good experience with nitecore a warranty?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned four Nitecores, and had four fail. That's a 100% failure rate. All my Fenix and Quarks still work perfectly, except for a mini aa that got dropped onto concrete too many times to remember, and an EO5 that suffered the same treatment.

Actually, the EO5 still works, it's just that for some reason it only puts out around 5ish lumens. I thought it died once, but in fact the L92 got crushed under its own weight from a big drop.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought my MH2C on Sept 5. Tonight I dropped it about 5" onto my counter top. It flashed briefly and now it won't turn on. It will still charge but won't turn on. I'm honestly pissed off and about had it with made in China crap. I read and viewed so many reviews regarding this flash light and majority are good. I bought this flashlight assuming it was quality especially for $70. WtF!!!! Has anyone returned or had any good experience with nitecore a warranty?

Buy a Fenix or a Quark. Better yet, buy a Malkoff!

RubiconSS

Newly Enlightened
I have had fenix(s), nitecore(s) and other lights of similar origin - Fail.
Have Surefires (no failures) and EDC HDS lights now - I don't like equipment failures.

Kabible

Enlightened
I used my EC2 daily as an auto tech for several months. Loved it. The main beam failed after a 2 Ft. drop to concrete. Nitecore replaced it. The new one lives on a bathroom shelf (I keep a flashlight in every room for power blackouts). My newer work light is Fenix PD32. It's hit the floor several times. Tough light.
I have three Nitecore lights: EC2, EC25w, TM26. Like all of them. Don't plan on dropping them but then Nitecore took care of me without any haggle.

altec135

Newly Enlightened
I find it rediculous that what is suppose to be a tactical flashlight which should withstand drop should be built a little but more durable. For heaven sake they say you can use it as a weapon. The problem is once you strike someone with it you won't be able to see who you hit cause your torch failed. I dropped mine 5". Seriously!!! That's rediculous!! I emailed nitecore and got a auto response email stating their office is close for the holiday. Not holding my breath.

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
I find it rediculous that what is suppose to be a tactical flashlight which should withstand drop should be built a little but more durable. For heaven sake they say you can use it as a weapon. The problem is once you strike someone with it you won't be able to see who you hit cause your torch failed. I dropped mine 5". Seriously!!! That's rediculous!! I emailed nitecore and got a auto response email stating their office is close for the holiday. Not holding my breath.

I own several Fenix lights and never had a single problem with any one of them plus their warranty repairs and Customer Service is excellent so, I rather stay with Fenix but I heard of people purchasing Nitecore flashlights online thru authorized US Dealers in order to avoid calling or sending emails to the manufacturer because an authorized dealer act as a middle man between Nitecore and the customer as far as repairs and warranty issues plus, if the light is defective or broken on delivery they usually have a store police of a 30 day return.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive used nitecores CS and it was good, understanding and quick.
as a side note i have also had two other lights from two other manufacturers fail - again all got fixed up quick - and these were real tactical lights not tacticool.
i obviously had some bad luck, but you do need to buy the right tool for the job, personally reading and looking at how the ec2 is constructed i would never have bought one to take a beating...

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is true that many manufacturers experience failures from time to time. I've had problems with Nitecore, Fenix, Malkoff, HDS, 4Sevens, Olight & Surefire etc.

For very heavy use, my most trusted light is my Prometheus MC-E - it has worked perfectly for the past 12 months with very, very heavy usage - 100% happy with this torch! - It has been dropped many times onto hard surfaces and it's barely got a mark and just keeps working, working, working! I regularly run 18650 cells to almost flat with continuous use with no issues - (hundreds and hundreds of hours of use). No fancy flash modes, no multiple buttons etc - just a solid build, 3 output levels with memory, forward McClicky switch and a handpicked MC-E emitter that provides a beautifully warm, smooth floody beam.

James.....:)

Last edited: