Headlamp for close service work

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone

I work as an residential HVAC service tech. Since purchasing of my first quality light Quark X AA2 last year I've enjoyed making the leap to quality lights. While the versatility of the Quark is good I still have the need for a headlamp when changing parts, checking wiring etc and need both hands free. I've been using a energizer aa3 headlamp and am looking to upgrade it to something better. As I'm using this primarily for close up hands on work I am looking for a more even spill to in my immediate working area rather than constantly having to move my head to get the hot spot where I'm looking. I've looked at the Fenix HL21 as it lower output but still bright enough to see well. What are your recommendations?

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Zebralight H502. Hands down winner for your needs IMHO.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

mdp

Newly Enlightened
I have the same basic requirements, hands free & close work, I choose to get the zebralight H600 fw. I prefer the longer run times using a 18650 battery instead of the AA. (Less batteries to keep charging.) The most important thing about the light you choose is figuring out what you need for you're given situation or task. Not anyone else. It took me months to find out what I wanted only for it to be out of stock by the manufacture for over a month. Good luck.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ What Lightcycle said: H502. Has a 115-120 degree beam so the light is where you need it. No more head moving to get the light in the right spot. If you need accurate color rendition, then H502c or H502d.

Want longer runtimes? Check the Spark SD52, which is 2AA. Probably not worth the weight increase, but you decide.

In the meantime, you can sandblast your Energizer, or paint it with "window frost." Will widen the beam so it's at least usable. Search for my old threads on sandblasting the Energizer, and using window frost paint on an Irix Icon. Never as good as a zebralight, but at least an upgrade for my Energizer, which I gave away at first opportunity.

Last edited:

beast1210

Newly Enlightened
I vote the SD52, the magnet / tripod adapter make it a very good work light

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Wow. You just sold me on the SD52. Looks like an incredibly well thought out design. Hopefully that bump shut off issue has been fixed. I love the interchangeable reflectors anf the magnet and tripod adapter. Thats awesome.

See ya:s. Going shopping on Amazon.

That is a totally amazing setup. Very versatile.

This one might trump my affinity for Zebralights. :)

Thanks for posting that.
Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

beast1210

Newly Enlightened
Wow. You just sold me on the SD52. Looks like an incredibly well thought out design. Hopefully that bump shut off issue has been fixed. I love the interchangeable reflectors anf the magnet and tripod adapter. Thats awesome.

See ya:s. Going shopping on Amazon.

That is a totally amazing setup. Very versatile.

This one might trump my affinity for Zebralights. :)

Here are some beam shots with SD52, using 2-1.5v AA, and 1-14500 with a dummy cell.

2 1.5v AA without reflector

sd52wide1v_zps7d75d0b2.jpg

1-14500 without reflector

sd52wide4v_zpsb5704d49.jpg

2-1.5 AA with add on reflector

sd52nrw1v_zpsd678c784.jpg

1-14500 with add on reflector

sd52nrw4v_zpsf421578f.jpg

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if the SD52 bump issue was fixed? The magnetic feature could be useful but the nature of the work involves bumps and bangs.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Petzl Pixa3. 20 lumen floody, 60 lumen floody, 100 lumen spot. Perfect for electrician work.