Hello and first mod-Mag 2C

crucible

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I've been lurking on the board for some time now, and have gotten lots of neat ideas thus far-thanks! (More on this later...) I'm a newbie by any stretch:)

My wife recently took my first real light-a Surefire Z3 , so that she could use it as some measure of stalling/disorientating some gargoyle while she goes through the dark parking lots, Metro, etc. and that would not raise flags at work (Federal gov.)

Sigh.

So, with less money to spend and needing something that could be used as both a general use and security ala the Surefire, I started looking on the web and came across both this site and the Everled (one on the way) to fit my Mag3d. I then came across some cool ideas here for the Mag2d and purchased one of those as well, and most recently the same with the Mag2C. Thanks alot idea droppers...err wallet thinners:)

Anyway, I chose the 2C mod (found here 2C Mag mod by Ginseng ) with the 3 Cr123 stack using water piping and did it this afternoon-wow! The Radio Shack KPR112 works very well with this mod indeed and comparing it to the Surefire Z3, the Z3 throws a wider bright beam short to medium distances slightly better to obviously better, but the modded Mag is no slouch even in those catagories and in fact bests the Z3 at all longer distances from what I've seen thus far. The modded 2C certianly bests the stock (new) 2D and my old 3D as well.

Other observations:

-The stock spring works fine, though I need to bend the very top to make a better connection with the bottom 123.
-Industrial duct tape is the way to go to expand to fit the Mag-very easy and effective!
-I tried the WriteRight on the lens, but preferred it without.
-I didn't find the water piping mentioned at my Home Depot in the water section-what was there was too big ID-wise. What I did find however that fit great was in the water heater section-the plastic pipe section that is meant to be fitted to the water heater relief valve. It was cheaper, shorter (4.5 feet or so) and I didn't have to buy a 10' section to take home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
-I looked in vain for springs to use in the battery slug, but my Home Depot doesn't carry *any* springs at all. Go figure.

I'm really interested in seeing how it does with the EverLed in it-should be here tomorrow or so. I beleive it's a 1.2W SE, should throw reasonbly well, and it should be able to take the voltage and current just fine-but we'll find out. Also, I've built a sleeve for the 2d that will take 4 123's in the same easy manner the 2C takes 3, but I have to wait for an appropriate bulb and more 123's on order to really test.

I guess the next step for the 2c, keeping in mind costs for me anyway, should be an upgraded lens and what else-maybe another bulb? Ultimately, I'd like it to get brighter as well as to use to use some rechargeables ala the LionLi's....but then I guess we're throwing the budget out the window huh?

Not too bad for my first mod and about $25 thus far (this light only of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)(I'm having fun doing this:))

Anyway-thanks for all the info.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cruc

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Crucible and welcome. There's plenty of cheap fun to be had so come on board and enjoy the ride /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you want to stay with the 2C body, your next bet is to upgrade the bulb to a Carley unit. In this voltage range, Carley makes better options than WelchAllyn. See if you can stir up some interest in a Group Buy and then go for the CA1057. It's the hottest bulb available for the 3x123 configuration. It should make another 50-60% on top of the KPR112. You can also do pretty well running 5-cell Mag Krypton bulbs in this config.

I would definitely spring for a Flashlighlens.com UCL lens. A cheap way to get 7-10% more light out the front. The Li-Ions will get you greater energy density over alk/nimh/nicd but not really over CR123s. They cost a lot, can be dangerous but are rechargeable. If you can stand going to a bigger body like the 2D, you can do well with nimh AAs driving more powerful bulbs.

If you can move to the 3C body (or 2D) you can step up to absolutely killer bulbs like the WA01274. Easily 3X the top budget performer KPR112. The key to the next step up in brightness is more power. Either higher voltage (WA01318) or higher current (WA01160). The votage is easier to attain as higher current demands will very quickly start to pinch at your power supply. You can just stack more cells for higher V. As for current, figure alkies good for up to 1.5A. Lithiums for around 2.5A and nimh or nicad beyond even that level.

Another relatively easy mod is to drop-in a TigerLight lamp assembly or a Streamlight SL-20/35 LA. This can be done easily and provide a different perspective on the quality of light that a torch can make.

In any case, welcome and have fun! Remember that you don't have to spend a mint to light it up!

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cruc,

I want to add my welcome. It looks like you have hot tungsten in your blood. Making brighter lights is a satisfying pursuit. I hope you have as much fun with it as so many of us do. It sounds like you will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops, a twitchy finger leads to my embarrassment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,

You're earlier edit commented on how short my post was, referring to what I had before I edited mine. The entire post originally was "."

You want to hear the long story? I originally wrote a long, long post and then decided that it really didn't say anything. Your previous post seemed to cover all the bases. I thought I'd just cancel the whole thing. But then I did what so many have done before. I pushed the wrong button. Voila. My overblown post was there before all the world. So I edited it to a "." just as a holder. Then I asked myself what I really wanted to say and just wrote that.

Hmmm. Your unstated observation about the length of my posts seems to have some validity.

Crucible -- sorry for getting your thread so far off topic. But when I get going, it becomes very hard for me to stop. But I'm going to do it now.

Paul

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the young folks say, "My bad." This business of taking time to write a post is like communicating between Earth and Mars. Each of us is commenting on a message received long ago without knowledge of the most recent replies. Your embarrassment, sir, is unwarranted. My apologies.

Paul