My first mod: L3 (TWAK) in a Mag 3D

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
Ok, well it's not really a mod, per se', but it is in my world, and it's my first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyhow, I got one of Hotbeam's lovely Hotlips heatsink with a Luxeon III (TWAK-binned), and dropped it in my 3D M@g.

Wow is all I can say. It throws like a big dog! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ok, well it doesn't put out quite as much light as my new Tigerlight (Thanks Dan!), but it does outthrow my Pelican M6 incandescent, and gives that "Light Sabre" beam that's nice and blue/white.

Very happy with this one and very highly recommend the combo!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
kinzli,
Congrats. That's a good first mod. I have a couple of modded M@gs and they're great. Really bright. I think I'm gonna have to give a couple of those hotlips a try.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good one Kinzli. Not very difficult was it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Did you have to sand the OA much?

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
OA? I didn't sand anything, but did cut back the tube on the Mag reflector, that's it. The Hotlips fit in the light tube like it was made for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I did the same mod (also a TWAK) only using a double-stacked Lambda finned heatsink that I used to have attatched to a 5W LS. It is a very impressive light, especially when one considers this is really just a ramped-up 1w LED.

I'm pulling almost 1.8A at 3.8volts, <font color="red">---nearly 7W!!!</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif And that's on alkaline batteries that have already been used for nearly an hour...

I expect some pretty decent runtime from this too. Assuming that a D cell battery has appx. 18,000 mAh (it does), this should theoretically last for about ten hours at that kind of current draw. Realistically though, the batteries won't be able to put out the full current for that long. I wouldn't be surprised to see it manage that for at least half of that time though, and then give who knows how much dimming runtime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Who wants to do the runtime test on this???

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDmodMan,
I tried doing a runtime test on a 3D M@g mod. I got tired of keeping up with it. It does run for a LONG time giving out useable light.