• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Texas Poker by Photon Fanatic

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there all you Photon Fanatic fans, Dale here with a new build that Fred has done for me that I just had to share. I absolutely love Fred's creative genius and the talent he displays on that lathe of his is simply out of this world!

I had a 1" bar of Grade 23 (Surgical Grade) Titanium that I've been thinking of what to do with for some 13 years. Recently got deep into flashlights and when I discovered Fred's works it all came clear, and the rest you will see here shortly! :)

I've always like the look of a good rifle scope, the shape and style just work for me, so I thought it'd be good for a light design and submitted my amateurish photoshopped creation of what I thought it should look like to Fred. I figured it needed some copper in it to get rid of heat as Ti is horrible at that, and a heatsink with exposed ribs seemed like the way to go. Little did I know that Fred is a design maniac and I'd never heard of SolidWorks before so you can imagine my surprise when Fred showed me his renderings as to what he could do, and the pictures below proved out that he does exactly what he designs, in amazing fashion! So here is the Texas Poker Work in Progress, pictures emailed to me as the work went along by Fred, and a damn fine job at that!

Thanks again Fred, can't wait for that lil driver to come in and finish this bad boy out!

So here's where it all starts, I won't show the design renderings because I love how this photo story comes together and works out. But this piece of copper starts the whole she-bang off....

Texas Poker_WIP-1 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And my jaw about hit the floor when I saw the threads Fred cut in the making of the heatsink. .5mm pitch, in copper, difficult to cut threads in copper? Not for Fred apparently.

Texas Poker_WIP-2 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

So with that done, it's time for some boring to open up the area for the pill to thread into. More of these beautiful threads!

Texas Poker_WIP-3 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

A work of art already, and he's just getting warmed up.

Texas Poker_WIP-4 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

On to the outside, the ribs that will be exposed to hopefully pull some heat from the planned XP-G S2 emitter. Might go with a Nichia 219, but either will be driven to some 1.2A so this will be needed.

Texas Poker_WIP-6 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Ahhh! Perfection in glowing red metal! The heatsink! Ain't that the purdiest thing ya ever did see? :)

Texas Poker_WIP-9 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

So now I will step back and log this, as I know how things get out of whack around here sometimes, but I'll be back with more!

Dale

Last edited by a moderator:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
And now y'all have an idea just how "big" this Texas Poker will be. It's designed to fit on a Ti Curb chain and be worn around my neck.

Here's the first look at the 1" Ti bar I sent Fred. Yep, it's pretty rough. I cut a few rings off of it with a hacksaw back in Y2K.

Texas Poker_WIP-11 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Fred got it squared up and started into making the bezel, a nicely detailed little piece in it's own right...

Texas Poker_WIP-12 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Turned down to an outer diameter of 20mm, all the necessary bevels and boring is done with magic hands...some of these details I would have never thought of

Texas Poker_WIP-14 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And here come those beautiful little .5mm threads again! This time in Titanium. They also say this is rather difficult, but again it's icing on the cake for Fred.

Texas Poker_WIP-15 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Testing the fit of the heatsink into the bezel, while it's still part of the mother bar. Wow! Now that is looking NICE!

Texas Poker_WIP-17 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

So it get's it's outer finishing bevels and details, parted off and made ready for it's new home.

Texas Poker_WIP-18 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And here she is, attached to the heatsink and ready to go!

Texas Poker_WIP-22 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Another beautiful view

Texas Poker_WIP-23 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And again I'll sign out and let the forum regain it's strength. I know these pics make me weak in the knees as well! :)

Dale

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
So now the fun and games starts on the battery tube. This one get's a 10440 cell and I've got just the ones lined up and waiting, Efest IMR10440s with over 3A capabilities....hope these work here!

First Fred cleans up the other end of the bar, also scarred from my RemGrit carbide impregnated hack saw blade.

Texas Poker_WIP-19 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

While this might look simple, y'all know Fred goes for detail. Down in the bottom of this tube Fred cut a bump to ensure wrapped cells would make good contact. Attention to detail at every turn!

Texas Poker_WIP-20 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Took some work to get that 25mm bar turned down to 13.25mm for the battery tube, see the tube still chucked up in the left background? lol

Texas Poker_WIP-21 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

So now the tube get's beveled and prepared for some more threading

Texas Poker_WIP-24 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And beautiful threads they are too!

Texas Poker_WIP-26 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Now Fred turns to creating the head, turning down that 25mm bar to the heads finished diameter of 20mm before starting the nitty gritty

Texas Poker_WIP-27 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Bored through and ready for more prep

Texas Poker_WIP-29 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

With edges inset for the o-ring to seat, the threads are cut for the battery tube to thread into

Texas Poker_WIP-30 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And the battery tube is a perfect fit. Of course! :)

Texas Poker_WIP-31 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

So now the tricky part of this head, a long taper to mimick the lines of a rifle scope. The cutting tool had to be set on an angle, and it had to be right the first time....more genious at play here ;)

Texas Poker_WIP-32 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

A quick test fit shows a bit more to go.

Texas Poker_WIP-33 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

So with the taper cut, a nerve wracking parting of the heads taper portion.

Texas Poker_WIP-34 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

So here's the basic shape of the Texas Poker, with some extra length on that head portion to allow some working room.

Texas Poker_WIP-35 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And now I have to go again, supper calls! I'll be back with the finishing touches here directly.

Dale

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with you Arm and Leg, impressive stuff Fred does!

And now we move on to the other end of the Ti head.

Texas Poker_WIP-36 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And more of those fantastic threads that are so appealing!

Texas Poker_WIP-37 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Testing those threads with the copper heatsink, mated up and sporting the Ti bezel it's a perfect fit, just like we knew it'd be! Gorgeous Fred!

Texas Poker_WIP-38 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And a look at the head assembly, work of art indeed!

Texas Poker_WIP-39 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Fred sent these next 2 pics with the message: What more can be said?

Texas Poker_WIP-40 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Texas Poker_WIP-41 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And here's how she stacks up next to a ruler. The tail end still has some work, but this is real close to a finished Texas Poker, sans a final dressing that will come at final assembly.

Texas Poker_WIP-42 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

The battery tube being bored for my chain, Fred had a Eeek! moment here when a bit broke, but of course he worked it all out! :)

Texas Poker_WIP-46 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

An action shot of the tapering done on the end of the battery tube.

Texas Poker_WIP-47 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And the result of that action...the finished tail end of this lil twisty.

Texas Poker_WIP-48 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

So here she stands, the Texas Poker awaiting finishing touches :)

Texas Poker_WIP-53 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

I searched the world over and thought I'd found true love....at LED-tech in Germany, the XP-G S2 in 5700K on a 20mm board that Fred then turned down to 10mm to fit.

Texas Poker_WIP-54 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Even displaying the traces on a star, Fred shows perfection. I have no idea how he exposed these copper traces so perfectly. A great mystery...

Texas Poker_WIP-55 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Just like I have no idea how he makes all these perfect little threads, the copper pill that's the heart of the Texas Poker, with a perfectly fitted star sporting the neatly turned emitter.

Texas Poker_WIP-56 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And for some finishing touches, Fred does more intricate work...this time on the tapered head. Difficult to mount and get just right, again executed to perfection.

Texas Poker_WIP-57 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And now, the final beautiful version, The Texas Poker!

Texas Poker_WIP-58 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Texas Poker_WIP-59 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Fred, you're incredible! Thank You!

Dale

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
ROFLMAO! You're killin me Matt! :crackup:

Yes, everybody, Matt designed the driver that is now in prototype form and being sent off for programming. Some of the details take an act of Congress to make happen, but it's all good. It takes what it takes. I know it'll be the finest it can possibly be and I'll have one of the first. That's definately worth waiting for!

Thank you too Matt, for the part you're playing in this sweet dream. :twothumbs

Dale

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened
Texas Poker by Photon Fanatic ...ROCKS!!!

...And now, the final beautiful version, The Texas Poker!
8542917625_0ae6532c2d_c.jpg
OH
MY
GOD!

What a fantastic WIP, Dale!!! Fred's photos are naturally a great part of the story-telling - but hats off to you, you've done an extraordinary job putting it all together and presenting it to us :thumbsup:

A very cool idea for a light - I really love the way you guys decided on the Cu heatsink - excellent integration, not to mention crucial with today's Hi-powered emitters / drivers / light engines... !

Congratulations to the both of you - can't wait to see it all lit up :D

*Falls off chair, curses, gets up and then scrambles to get the driver finished*
:clap:

...Matt designed the driver that is now in prototype form and being sent off for programming...
Matt's the man! Well, the other man (Fred being the man and all)... :rock:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Texas Poker by Photon Fanatic ...ROCKS!!!

Thank you Trave11er, I'm very excited to get my first Photon Fanatic light! :) Blows my mind what Fred can accomplish on that lathe of his. Hopefully it won't be much longer...

Dale

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dale, had no idea you started a thread. those finishing touches are stunning. When this all finishes I'm going to have to take a trip to see you and shake your hand.

I'm so excited to see the progression of the driver, because i know the extreme capability that Matt has.

Take care.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Alex, I'm flattered. But not gullible enough to think you'd drive over here to see ME! You wanna play with the light, come on now, admit it! :p

Zandar

Enlightened
Hey Dale,I believe what this light really needs is some nonprofessional, non-objective testing, see you in October. you know I want to play with this light too!!!!

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dale,

You'll be pleased to know the completed PICcolo driver's are in the mail and on the way to me. I'll perform a final check to ensure they function as intended (though the video my programmer sent me indicates they do....otherwise I would not have told him to send them back!) and I'll send a few to Fred. I imagine one has a home already ;)

- Matt

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank You Matt,

Very good news indeed! The final countdown...lol So excited, I can hardly wait!!! :)

Dale

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's difficult to keep the size of this light in my mind. For perspective, it's only a half inch longer than the bezel on my HD2010 is wide! Or it's just about as long as how wide the lenses on my camera are (they take a 77mm filter) I see the pics Fred took and they make it look big, hard to come to grips with the fact that it will fully conceal in a closed fist. That's exactly what I wanted, but looking at the pics it's just hard to wrap the brain around, with all that fine machining work being on such a small scale is mind boggling! :)

Maybe that's relatively easy to do to such a small mind as mine ;)

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm so impressed with the design work in SolidWorks that I have to show this as well, I'd be very remiss if I didn't...

Here's what I mocked up in Photoshop from a Leupold scope.

Ti Light Pilon Style Leupold V2X Model by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And here's a RENDITION of what the light would look like, before ever turning the lathe.....

Head Detail V-grooves-slant by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Component View TP by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Genius, am I right or am I right? :)

Dale

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Genius. And gorgeous.
Fred does amazing lathe work.
I really like the design - and you're right, it's hard to imagine it as a 10440 light.
You'll have to post some comparison pics with the beamshots when you get it in hand.
Thanks for an informative, enjoyable WIP thread.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the driver made it back but it has an issue that Matt is not at all happy with. Seems there is something about the electronics that wants to bring up full power before going to the memory, so it flashes hi then goes to the memorized mode. Matt is redoing the board with different electronics for Fred to make it more reliable and stick to the program, but it's got to grow a couple of mm to do that. Fred and Matt are working together in an attempt to change some of the electronics by stacking, hoping to fit that into the pill but I don't think that's going to be viable as the light is so very small there probably won't be enough room. They're looking into it, but looks like a less powerful driver is the answer for now. So we're going with the mini FLuPIC in the Texas Poker. Fred is getting the details finished up and will then ship the light.

I will, of course, be uploading beamshot pics and some glamour shots (within my limits of course!) As soon as I get the light. Anyone wanna take me to Vegas for shots of the Texas Poker running the strip? :)

Thanks for asking Alex, it's a real bugger waiting for all the details to come together for sure! :)

Dale

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nooooooo! Less power? What a shame.

In the end a little power doesn't matter. Functionality is key. At least it's getting somewhere.

I'd be glad to take you on a trip out there if I could, Dale.