building a e1 mod, do i need AA epoxy???

oldeng95

Enlightened
I figured i need it to epoxy the led to the esink
would Artic Alumia be the right one?
Plus Ive seen a modded knoll switch modded for an e1, how hard is that todo.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
oldeng95,
Yes, use AA epoxy to epoxy the LED to the sink. Also use it to pot the circuit into the ecan. Make sure that you get the two part epoxy.

Why bother with the kroll? Just get a Z57 clickie for it. The Z57 is much more dependable and you won't have to bother modding it.

BTW, what did you bore the bezel out with? I just did my first one tonight and I did it with a drill while the head was in a vice. Keeping it centered was pretty easy and it came out nice. Which circuit are you gonna use. I'm considering a BadBoy 500, but am wondering if that will generate too much heat for extended use in the smallish E1 head.

oldeng95

Enlightened
cool, I was thinking of a bb500 also. usually I dont leave mine on for more than 10 minutes at a time. I was planing on using my dewalt as well. We'll see how good the stock reflector works,

let me know how it turns out
thanks
PAUL

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,
I finally got around to doing that E1e mod. I used a drill (I have a Dewalt too) with a 13/32 drill bit. I just put the head in a vice and went SLOW.

I then threw the head together. I used a Q3J and a BadBoy500 with an Ecan and Esink. Pics down below...

fa726d2a.jpg

fa726d26.jpg

On the second pic, it's obvious that the reflector is a little screwed up. This did not happen when drilling out the head. This is the head from my very first Surefire and I tried to clean it.

These are the beam shots and I tried to get a couple that might actually convey a real idea of the beam. I don't think I succeded. The first is about 5 feet from a white wall.

fa726d22.jpg

If you will notice, there is a pretty nice hotspot. What may not be clear is that the rest of the frame should be filled with sidespill. To be honest, it doesn't have nearly throw of an NX05 or a modded KL4, but it does have throw and more sidespill than either the NX05 or modded KL4.

The next pic was taken from my kitchen into the utility room. The distance is about 15 feet from the light to the back wall of the utility room.

fa726d1f.jpg

As you can see, the little BB500 with the Q3J puts out a good amount of light. If you want maximum throw, this isn't gonna get you as much as a modded KL1 or KL4, but if you want some throw combined with a very nice flood, this may be your ticket.

This is a nice alternative to a McFlood. It doesn't get too hot either. It does warm up, but nothing unmanageable.