BlackShadow

Thread: I did it! 9470 Lux from a LxIII - now 11200 Lux

Default I did it! 9470 Lux from a LxIII - now 11200 Lux

EDIT: See new post further down... I'm going to call it "Silver Bullet".

Well I did it. I've been talking about doing it for a while now. I finally did my first mod.

Mag-Lite 3D running a Luxeon III (SWAM bin) DD off 3D's.

So I follow the insructions from Charlie (in the bathroom where it's pitch dark) and use my new LM631 and got the 3 separate readings:

9350 Lux
    9280 Lux
    9310 Lux

How 'bout that. I like Direct Drive [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]

EDIT: I did another reading this morning, while taking a couple pics...

9470 Lux - [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Here's the pics:

The business end

Closeup of the emitter (I know, needs improvement)

beam shot from 1 meter

The meter reading

SPECIAL THANKS go to MrBulk, Hotbeam, Dat2Zip, and McGizmo for their advise and help.

Default Re: I did it! 9300+ Lux from a LxIII !!!

Hey hay! Congrats, dood! We want pics!

I should have known that "Charlie mode" included a stint in the bath room with the lights out! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cool!
    Did you happen to measure the current?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Well in all fairness, "Charlie mode" could quite possibly have been the closet or the back bedroom but the bathroom was the most convenient.

Of course you know my wife was knocking on the door not 2 minutes after I went in asking what I'm doing in there. When I told her, she muttered something under her breath (unintelligible through the door) and went back to the other room.

No current readings yet. I'm going to take a reading at the Lx as soon as I put new batt's in my DMM -- First I have to find it, then I have to figure out what it eats.

Default Re: I did it! 9470 Lux from a LxIII - Pics added

Updated with pics... and new high reading!

Very nice! Welcome to the club... once you start modding, you're really not going to stop...

Yet another 3W DD in a 3D mag. Nice work! Those hotlips are really good heatsinks. What do you think of that light output? Isn't it impressive? I still have a hard time believing it myself, so much light coming out of that little 3W.

If this LED lumen output continues to increase like it has the last year or so, incandescents are going down!!! And soon... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Default Re: I did it! 11200 Lux from a LxIII - new

Just got done with another one, same configuration but black body and shorter leads. It's noticably brighter than the other one. I did the short stint in the can with the new light and got:

11200 Lux
    11180 Lux
    11190 Lux

I took a couple pics, but I've got to get to bed...

Take pics and then go to bed? What kinda routine izzat???!!!

Congrats. I think the slight lux reading differences between lights is due more to variance between individual emitters, plus EXACT focusing of the Mag reflectors, and the big plus...these things seem to get BRIGHTER for a time, right after being fired up at the beginnings of their lives! I kid you not! Try using the first one for a day or two, then take nother reading -- I kid you not...

I get up at 05:45 and I'm lucky to be able to stay up past 23:30. I guess I'm a weenie.

Now how 'bout that... I get 9820 out of the first one today and 1115 from the one I built last night. Very cool. I think the heat sink and the bond to the heat sink affects the output greatly. The one I did last night was super bright and then dimmed down. I lifted the emitter and slathered a little more AA-E under it and cured it. The brightness didn't dim a bit after that.

Emitter close-up

Meter

I have 2 more heatsinks on the way and 2 2D Mags stripped and soldered ready to rock-n-roll. I'm doing a 5W U3U HD in one and a 5W (unknown bin - on its way) SE in the other. Both of these will be DD from 6 AA's in the 6AA to 2D holder. I've got a half a case of RedCells ready to burn up.

Congrats Beretta! Looks like some great mods you're doing over there. Now I know who to call for advice when I decide to mod my first Mag 2D. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I wish I had the battery holders, once I get the next round of heat sinks, I will be able to do those 2D mods.

Beretta, what did you have to do to the reflector... is it as simple as removing the cam, or did you have to cut the opening wider? What tool(s) did you use for the job? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Do you just bend the leads of the emmiter up when you solder them?

[ QUOTE ]
    milkyspit said:
    Beretta, what did you have to do to the reflector... is it as simple as removing the cam, or did you have to cut the opening wider? What tool(s) did you use for the job? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I decapitated it with a hacksaw blade...

[ QUOTE ]
    MTFD17 said:
    Do you just bend the leads of the emmiter up when you solder them?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's important that neither of the leads (well, really just the +) touches the heatsink. I carefully bent them up ever so slightly.

Flashaholic*

Lookin-Good

Good job Berretta! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Using lots of epoxy I see.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Beretta, maybe you could just paint the heatsink under the leads with a little clear nail polish for some insurance against shorts. Or gently slide a short length of heatshrink tubing over the leads after soldering (slide 'em over the wires first, then solder, then move heatshrink into position) to electrically isolate them from the heatsink. It just makes me nervous to see those unprotected leads sitting there; if you dropped the light and were unlucky, the leads might short out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Also, don't use too MUCH thermal epoxy! The most important thing is a paper-thin, even coating on the underside of the emitter, then holding it in good contact with the heatsink until it sets. Large surface area but thin, even layer of epoxy will maximize thermal transfer. I've heard at least one horror story from someone whose epoxy layer was too thick, and ended up frying their emitter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

Just my two cents, although for what it's worth, yesterday richpalm and I modded 5 lights in the "Milky Labs" with great success using this exact technique.

Anyway, your work looks really great! Keep improving the process and no doubt you'll have big things ahead. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have confidence in Marty -- I think although he May have used a smidge extra of Arctic Alumina, he pressed it all the way down until the emitter made good contact, see? So all the glue squished out is all...

The excess epoxy is a result of the way I've applied it. The heat sink of the emitter has darned near nothing under it and is mostly in contact with the heatsink. I'd hate to get an air pocket or lump in there [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

As for the leads, I've been working on that. I would hate to use shrink wrap and then have the need to go back and replace the emitter for some reason and not be able to de-solder the connections because of that. I guess I could just burn it away with the iron though.

very nice work! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

in the past, i've used hotpink electrical isolation paint to keep the leads from shorting, but i'd like to try dusting glowpowder onto it.

That's what I'd like to do in the future, but I need to get both of the necessary materials.