New Jetbeam SSR50

ghodan

Newly Enlightened
New light from Jetbeam? Jetbeam SSR50
I could not find a post about it and i have not seen it before on the Jetbeam page. So i assume its new.

http://www.jetbeamlight.com/ShowProducts.asp?ID=43

2013325175414534.jpg
2013325175545326.jpg

2013325175436313.jpg

2013325175533705.jpg

2013325175535163.jpg

2013325175545214.jpg

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good find ghodan

The most interesting thing to me is that new battery. It looks like it's intended for use in electric vehicles but should be ideal for flashlight use if the 2000 cycles rating and safety claims are true.

One thing that doesn't add up though is the advertised 1000lm with 6h runtime from a 3.7V 7500mAh battery. I'd estimate the battery would give 2-3 hours runtime at a constant 1000lm which suggests that the output is not fully regulated. The weight is on the heavy side as well at 778g. E.g a fenix TK41 loaded with 8 x nimh AA's weighs around 550g.

Looking forward to reading reviews on this one nevertheless.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm assuming the charging port is under the end-cap too - which would be much better protection than the rubber plugs we've been seeing recently.

The gadget nerd in me loves the USB output...

tjhabak

Enlightened
I know the size of this light will turn alot of people off, given the similar performance of a single 18650 light (minus the extended runtime), but I like the looks of this one. It is a brighter version of the Magcharger/Streamlight SL20. It would be good for law enforcement or public service use where the heft and length are beneficial. I'm hoping the price point will be competitive with the above two lights.

tjhabak

Enlightened
Whoah! Just Googled this light and stumbled across a pre-order listing on Lightjunction.com. They have it listed for $99.00 and have a 20% discount on all Jetbeam products. This seems like a lot of light for 80 bucks and change! Probly be in divorce court soon cause I pulled the trigger.:what:

Patriot

Flashaholic
The gadget nerd in me loves the USB output...

I'm a little turned off at the size but the USB output is totally cool! Imagine being able to juice up a dying cell phone from your edc light. With a CPFer though, it would probably be the other way around....lol!

Beckler

Enlightened
Good idea, but having to unscrew the head to use power supply? Really? That's a huge hassle, and means you have no light when using your other device - which makes zero sense. Pretty tired of all these good-quality lights with random dollar store junk-type designs and UI's.

Last edited:

flyback

Newly Enlightened
It's a pretty big light but for the price (with the discount) it might be worth a try. Interesting...

LightOnAHill

Newly Enlightened
Good idea, but having to unscrew the head to use power supply? Really? That's a huge hassle, and means you have no light when using your other device - which makes zero sense. Pretty tired of all these good-quality lights with random dollar store junk-type designs and UI's.

Well said - total BS where they put the USB port. Lets hope their competition does it right and ill buy that. Until then, I dig thensolarnchargers and backup batteries I currently have, so no need for the cumbersome nature of this particular light.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a second, I thought I was looking at the successor to the Olight SR51.

johnjr

Newly Enlightened

I don't know about you but if i'm using this as a power I have plenty of other lights and just unscrewing the head does not seem like that much trouble, I like this one so much that it's on order, Pretty Cool Idea.

tjhabak

Enlightened
It has been removed from the Jetbeam page. :oops:

I just got an email from Lightjunction.com stating mine has been shipped. I can't remember if Jetbeam ever had this one on their site. It seems like it may be a little while since it was last updated. I'll post once I recieve mine!:D

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
"It was equipped with latest developed vehicle-mounted power charging battery that can survive thousands of times of charging."

I am guessing this is a 3.2v nominal LiFePO4 cell, which is awesome.

I just wish it had a heavy OP reflector and a floodier beam, but I am sure a little elbow grease could tweak that.

With a capacity this high, even if the light isn't perfectly regulated, the "bright" part of the curve should be nice and long.

I'll wait for a formal review. :)

utlgoa

Enlightened
That's not ANSI Lumens or they would advertise "ANSI". If you want the latest battery then checkout the Led Lenser M17R

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for pointing that out.

I wasn't aware a mass market LiFePO4 flashlight with dropin charger was available yet.

I wrote Jetbeam asking if they are using a LiFe or LiCo cell in their SSR50.

We'll see what they say...

I'll keep my eyes open for a review of both units, the Jetbeam and Led Lenser. :thumbsup:

bull_paqqy

Newly Enlightened
Mine just came in today. And it quickly went back. The charging port was flaky, and the light would randomly turn of if i shook the light.