Olight M22 Review

firelord777

Enlightened
Olight took advantage of the new XM-L2 LED in their new M22 flashlight. When the light was released, it received mixed reactions from the market regarding its look.
ZaDSY9N.jpg

Bottom line is, some liked it others, not so much. See for yourself:
6vl8VOx.jpg

dYCETm9.jpg

HhDWb6a.jpg

dHVaaDt.jpg

They sort of really emphasize the tactical aspect with all the military stuff on it don't they?
YrM4sZB.jpg

This side seems like something made for retail stores, it even has the square with the code on it.
The presentation is stellar:
sjEf4ke.jpg

PBXMQKl.jpg

gglQvt8.jpg

The Olight comes with an Olight M22 (duh), a diffuser, a cool holster, a battery magazine for CR123s, a lanyard, 3 o-rings, and an extra GID tail boot (Glow In the Dark). For the purpose of this review though, Olight sent a SS bezel along with the light.
pePa84W.jpg

Construction:
My first impressions of the light was that it feels solid, reliable and has a surprisingly good finish to it. The letters and font on the two sides of the battery tube are nice and clear. The cooling fins on the head are just the right size, not too small to be of any use, but not so unnecessarily large either. The knurling is just awesome, it's composed of these small little checkered raised rectangles. The bezel is tough and has a caution sign with the words "hot surface" laser etched net to it, and on the other side "CREE XM-L2" also laser etched.
ZzvFJC3.jpg

GnbPjR8.jpg

BN6Y98w.jpg

p0MJ2hx.jpg

You cannot tailstand the light because of the protruding tail boot:
ZMjX43X.jpg

Jr3w6uH.jpg

wGJ2Ga5.jpg

aW9TT73.jpg

J42pqsy.jpg

Mju8G6Q.jpg

t9YeYHv.jpg

S7TN0v1.jpg

ApKj9QF.jpg

jnoIza2.jpg

The tailcap has a gold-like contact, below it is a normal spring, so it maintains its springiness but with good contact.
gGqHYiI.jpg

CmL8PFZ.jpg

Threads are well lubed and look like they'll last for a long time:
xTPH3Er.jpg

Inside the battery tube there is a convenient little shiny sticker in place to remind you which way to put in the batteries just in case:
GJtnPrl.jpg

oFgdvGE.jpg

You can remove the grip ring, but doing so will expose an o-ring, you see two in the picture because I deliberately did not tighten down the tailcap fully.
r3LdYsC.jpg

doqwb2I.jpg

There is also a cool feature I haven't seen yet. The clip and the grip ring have a complementary mechanism to keep themselves in place.
Ft5HmC4.jpg

Jgaq2Xg.jpg

The head doesn't have anodized threads, so the light stays on even when the head is partially unscrewed, which is kind of needed because of the UI.
9n3PwUu.jpg

X824lql.jpg

TLQIk6b.jpg

The reflector is smooth and moderately deep, producing a beam that is throwy but balanced
yhtgzrC.jpg

8ynfjli.jpg

The light has thick walls, and it feels like it can take a brutal beating (the light to the side of it is the ArmyTek Predator):
LY1JqU4.jpg

zzURrkw.jpg

The bezel is simple to remove, just apply an average amount of initial force and the bezel loosens.
RWJwpG3.jpg

The red o-ring is sprinkled with GID powder and at night it glows, I'll take a few pictures of this soon.
ZGaFq7I.jpg

YEHIqLD.jpg

CdRxb6K.jpg

6NLLg26.jpg

R9tJMoM.jpg

VP3LlNc.jpg

GTlg77J.jpg

This is how it looks like with the Stainless Steel bezel:
jRuZwJ0.jpg

6icY5un.jpg

IhKFnBp.jpg

IUyfm9I.jpg

GQ0FFcU.jpg

TKISbtu.jpg

BF1bymt.jpg

ZU8XZ1G.jpg

4LGOCku.jpg

Diffuser:
Straight forward pictures coming your way:
fn7AfmN.jpg

rGZUzf9.jpg

WYerDww.jpg

iF4fJO1.jpg

Dm5RJrZ.jpg

XKANLxC.jpg

Z5Xtig4.jpg

DDp3Ruu.jpg

Holster:
The holster that comes with the Olight is impressive. It is made with some sort of slightly hardened material so it retains its shape. The stitching is flawless and thick. To the sides are two battery holsters so you can carry two extra 18650 along with your M22 in the holster. That's an amazing feature, one I was waiting for a company to implement one day.
0y3Dr44.jpg

Grw2tE2.jpg

NU6ziVu.jpg

Xi3ai2v.jpg

CuZObXd.jpg

aOQ811T.jpg

BlEr8B0.jpg

8NAgahE.jpg

RyGSWdn.jpg

uA237rH.jpg

wFz6SYv.jpg

OCipk6N.jpg

4vqhHHO.jpg

v9TXs9Y.jpg

V6jlURN.jpg

QT8u9ei.jpg

lDvsdUQ.jpg

LXLO2ct.jpg

A How-to Guide
Replacing the tail boot on the M22 is a bit deceptively simple. For those familiar with common parts in a tailcap and steps to replace tail boots, the Olight has a slightly longer procedure.
sU8qscx.jpg

KQa2odk.jpg

nfIDgdK.jpg

DRlzjHD.jpg

First, take some tweezers or something to poke into the two "pits"
iCYY6lT.jpg

Next, start unscrewing it. It took quite a bit of initial force to loosen it, and make sure you press down, I slipped a couple of times and gave it a few scratches.
SzcKTxT.jpg

WIQ1qeh.jpg

9RojPOu.jpg

MSpoxyk.jpg

GiEH22q.jpg

Now, typically once you've done all this, all that is left is to remove the tailcap and put in the new one, however, this time, you will have to repeat the process again with another retainer inside.
CLNETBa.jpg

TQSFXMy.jpg

kVQHn7b.jpg

kCVppAA.jpg

DZsHAyK.jpg

wgPjg51.jpg

JQtzrgO.jpg

Cree XM-L vs. Cree XM-L2:
akFqZnW.jpg

L3M6QOm.jpg

LyX35zO.jpg

aX8ubTv.jpg

z3MB5bk.jpg

Notice how the XM-L has lines across the LED while the XM-L2 does not
LomTX0C.jpg

NT665q2.jpg

LFX5W5G.jpg

X5bsRno.jpg

6Iq6fUq.jpg

ZrkHwyl.jpg

oMyZX0b.jpg

UhSSbU0.jpg

YYELCbP.jpg

9ZfGmSu.jpg

Cq8OdqG.jpg

9vkA5l3.jpg

Tv0TpI2.jpg

Whitewall beamshots:
First some suspensful pictures of the competitors:
m5SIITj.jpg

nowF5XA.jpg

YVWAUQc.jpg

Vrh026Q.jpg

E3kn3FQ.jpg

VCrIfVG.jpg

PGlNRvx.jpg

SipWCfE.jpg

qs4zjHi.jpg

PFxvZKv.jpg

Below are the output levels of the M22
Low:
QmiPFnk.jpg

Mid:
9XdCqMQ.jpg

High:
rw1tY7l.jpg

Reduced Exposures:
zIyvqT3.jpg

d6putrF.jpg

0SCm7C8.jpg

ArmyTek Viking X:
y9YZ3pd.jpg

ttIztj7.jpg

sIconks.jpg

76Z6hd4.jpg

ArmyTek Predator SMO
BZx1b39.jpg

yl1HMiV.jpg

shGrloX.jpg

RRa5UzH.jpg

ArmyTek Predator OP
N0Sa2t2.jpg

FhXsMPI.jpg

vqUjkiI.jpg

rQ8TLe8.jpg

Fenix TA21
sZdsme4.jpg

RAKEkRH.jpg

AddAuGo.jpg

Crelant V6CS
kSZM22W.jpg

zrnHKi7.jpg

SHYBaiK.jpg

XluMiPT.jpg

More to come soon
I'll be working on a few waterproofing tests, outdoor beamshots, diffuser beamshots and even the GID o-ring,
UI
I showed a few pictures previously of the UI of the Olight. Many originally wanted the side switch of the previous military lineup such as the M21. However, I think the UI with the M22 offers a better range of flexibility. I always have mine set to low, because I find that way, I have the best dynamics. I can readily use the low mode, and if needed, I can very easily access high output. Strobe is also accessible and "hidden" at the same time. Just give it a try.
Conclusion
I personally believe that the Olight is a considerable competitor in the tactical light market. Especially at the price point of $95. Outdoors, this light really shines. When I have the outdoor beamshots up, you'll see what I'm talking about. It lights up the targets you point at and also everything around it. I think this type of beam can really help out in tactical situations, when operators need to cover large areas quickly.
One thing I really did not cover in depth was regulation. The M22 is regulated on high, but has thermal management that steps down whenever the light gets too hot. This is welcoming, as usually it is much more beneficial to decrease the output to an almost unperceivable level and maintain safe operating parameters than push the LED too hard.
For civilians (like me), the M22 offers a well designed light with high performance. Not only that, but it also has fantastic accessories to boot.
Olight itself is a great company to deal with and respond to emails and inquiries.
If you have any questions or requests, please feel free to ask me or send me a PM,
Regards,
Alain

kj2

Flashaholic
Thank you very much :) and so many pics, I like that :D
Hope mine will come this week.

Question; if you remove the clip, will the tactical ring spin around freely?

firelord777

Enlightened
It's a bit difficult to remove the clip, I'll see what is the best way to remove it and I'll report back to you.

Cheers:D

Filip11

Newly Enlightened
How would you compare M22 to Fenix TK22 and Surefire Fury P2X in terms of quality of contruction?

firelord777

Enlightened
How would you compare M22 to Fenix TK22 and Surefire Fury P2X in terms of quality of contruction?

As much as I would love to, I can't really help you there my friend. I do have a couple of Fenix lights, and they are also well built.

Rest assured, they are all high quality lights, even the M22. I would expect it to survive and thrive with whatever you throw at it,

Cheers:)

Filip11

Newly Enlightened
As much as I would love to, I can't really help you there my friend. I do have a couple of Fenix lights, and they are also well built.

Rest assured, they are all high quality lights, even the M22. I would expect it to survive and thrive with whatever you throw at it,

Cheers:)

Thanks for reply! :)

I still have to think a bit, and decide between this and TK 22. Sweet decisions. :D

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
should be submitted for the review forum section.
very helpful pics!!

TronPlayer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! The only thing I found lacking was a picture of the light in your hand so I could get an idea of the size.

endoracing

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately I fall on the side of not liking the look of this light which was why I went with EagleTac's new XM-L2 light. Seeing your pictures next to other lights I think that it may not be as bad as it seems in pictures by itself. I did almost order the M22 from amazon to see if I liked it given their easy returns. Now if I could buy an M22 head to screw onto my M20 for like 60 bucks I'd have a hard time not doing it (unfortunately the threads are different :( ).

Also, do you know which way that holster is intended to be used (up or down) ? Mine does not seem to fit through the bottom hole when pointing up.

Thanks for the pictures!

Last edited:

SilentK

Enlightened
I'm actually one who thinks this light is quite attractive. :) I'm curious, I realize that you can tap the switch in quick succession to get instant access to high and strobe. Exactly how fast do you have to tap it momentarily to change modes? At what point does it not change modes, and just come back on in the set level?

firelord777

Enlightened
should be submitted for the review forum section.
very helpful pics!!

Thanks, but for some reason I'm never able to post my reviews there, the system just won't let me. All my reviews are in the LED subforum :D hehe

firelord777

Enlightened
Unfortunately I fall on the side of not liking the look of this light which was why I went with EagleTac's new XM-L2 light. Seeing your pictures next to other lights I think that it may not be as bad as it seems in pictures by itself. I did almost order the M22 from amazon to see if I liked it given their easy returns. Now if I could buy an M22 head to screw onto my M20 for like 60 bucks I'd have a hard time not doing it (unfortunately the threads are different :( ).

Also, do you know which way that holster is intended to be used (up or down) ? Mine does not seem to fit through the bottom hole when pointing up.

Thanks for the pictures!

The holster to me was designed for both, but you're absolutely right, I have to give the light a push to make it go through when it's head up:)

firelord777

Enlightened
I'm actually one who thinks this light is quite attractive. :) I'm curious, I realize that you can tap the switch in quick succession to get instant access to high and strobe. Exactly how fast do you have to tap it momentarily to change modes? At what point does it not change modes, and just come back on in the set level?

All right, I just tested it out and you have to tap it within one second, after one second it comes back on whatever mode you left it on. So for strobe, I guess you have 2 seconds total to access it.

If you don't really understand let me know:D

firelord777

Enlightened
@tronplayer:

ysede9em.jpg
utezepum.jpg

It's more or less the size of a small pen:)

If you want more comparisons feel free to suggest other things to compare the size:)

My hands are not the same size as yours most likely, so it may be misleading. I find comparisons to common household objects to be a much better representation of size,

Cheers

Last edited:

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
Any problem with the tint?

I have a few Olights and 4Sevens. The lights that have XM-L emitters emit GREEN. Repeat, GREEN.

firelord777

Enlightened
No problems here, the beam is straight up white, the corona of the hotspot has a touch of yellow,

Cheers

SilentK

Enlightened
All right, I just tested it out and you have to tap it within one second, after one second it comes back on whatever mode you left it on. So for strobe, I guess you have 2 seconds total to access it.

If you don't really understand let me know:D

I got it. Thank you very much! :D Even though I just blew a little bit of cash on a PD32, I'll certainly be adding this one to my list. :)