Hyperion Lights, Warm White LED Light Bulb

Arilou

Newly Enlightened
This is a new product which seems to be made by Semilon in India. The reseller makes some rather lofty claims - Cree LEDs, warm white, 750 lumens, only 9 watts, 100,000 hour lifetime, and a 5 year warranty.

These claims are exaggerated. The light is dim and bluish. Not even close to 750 lumens. I doubt it uses Cree LEDs, probably just some cheapo Ce:YAG blue LEDs.

The bulb is fairly small, about the same height as the Hitlights, but a smaller diameter. Hitlights are a better value if you want a cheap LED bulb.

The packaging is completely unbranded, so it wouldn't surprise me if this junk starts showing up under a few other brand names soon.

Arilou

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that the top of this unscrews. Inside is a CQ-LV8072 with 3 LEDs. I didn't disassemble it further to see the power supply. It flickers slightly.

Bought this from Hyperion Tek on Amazon.

markr6

Flashaholic
Fast forward to almost 2016...I wonder if these are any better now.

A19 60W equivalent
9.5W
800lm
2700K, 3000K 4000K flavors (FINALLY!!!!!!!!)
90+ CRI (The box says 84?? I guess I'd take anything close)
Dimmable (probably sucks like every other LED)

For about $13 total I bought a 3000K and 4000K just to see for myself.

Goldwrap

Newly Enlightened
Fast forward to almost 2016...I wonder if these are any better now.

A19 60W equivalent
9.5W
800lm
2700K, 3000K 4000K flavors (FINALLY!!!!!!!!)
90+ CRI (The box says 84?? I guess I'd take anything close)
Dimmable (probably sucks like every other LED)

For about $13 total I bought a 3000K and 4000K just to see for myself.

I have ignored LED bulbs for the house until a couple of weeks ago. Bought a bunch of Hyperikon (are these the same as Hyperion?) 3000k and 4000k bulbs and they are really nice. Very bright, accurate color, instant on, high end packaging. Haven't hooked up dimmer yet but need to because they are so bright. Infinitely better than my old incans and CFLs.

markr6

Flashaholic
I have ignored LED bulbs for the house until a couple of weeks ago. Bought a bunch of Hyperikon (are these the same as Hyperion?) 3000k and 4000k bulbs and they are really nice. Very bright, accurate color, instant on, high end packaging. Haven't hooked up dimmer yet but need to because they are so bright. Infinitely better than my old incans and CFLs.

Thanks, I hope I like them. I will be receiving mine tomorrow.

I'm not too concerned with dimmers either since I just stick with incandescents for that. You can dim those so low you can hardly tell they on; perfect for waking up slowly in the morning.

They make a 100W version, but I think I may just use a "1-to-2 Y adapter" and run two 60w versions in my garage (4 total) so I get the 90+ CRI which is not available on the 100W. Yes, I'm that picky!

Goldwrap

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I hope I like them. I will be receiving mine tomorrow.

I'm not too concerned with dimmers either since I just stick with incandescents for that. You can dim those so low you can hardly tell they on; perfect for waking up slowly in the morning.

They make a 100W version, but I think I may just use a "1-to-2 Y adapter" and run two 60w versions in my garage (4 total) so I get the 90+ CRI which is not available on the 100W. Yes, I'm that picky!

I replaced all the recessed kitchen BR30s with Hyperikon 3000k BR30s and it's wonderful, however my wife won't even turn the lights on at night now because of the brightness. So that is the room that's getting a dimmer.

I got two of the 100W equiv 4000k bulbs for the garage. Those bulbs are quite large and put out a lot of light. It completely changed the look and functionality of the garage from the two 60W incans that were in there when we moved in :) I'm also in the process of changing the G25 globes in our bathrooms to 3000k Feit LEDs. Those are nice too, but they don't always turn on instantly like these Hyperikons do.

markr6

Flashaholic
4000K....I love it! Whiter than WHITE! I just bought more so I'll have enough for my basement. I was going to use a 100W equivalent, but these 60W actually seem bright enough for the job.

The 3000K was just like the other brands I tried at 3000K. A little dingy looking and the CRI didn't seem to be there like the Cree TWs I have. I think a 3500K would have been perfect.

markr6

Flashaholic
Well I just received 4 more of these.

I've been looking for the HOLY GRAIL of light bulbs for a long time. For me, this is it!! 60W, 4000K, 90CRI, 840lm. That only leaves durability...will they last? They are VERY light and cheap feeling. We'll see.

I put six of these in my unfinished basement, which isn't anything special, but I wanted some nice bright lighting and high CRI nonetheless. At under $5 a bulb, I'm blown away with these!

Everything is perfectly WHITE.

IMG_3902.JPG

IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3899.JPG