LUX RATINGS - RC40 vs TK70

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the factory ANSI specs of both lights, the TK70 has 130,500cd intensity, 720m distance, 2200 lumens

RC40 has 126,000cd intensity, 710m distance, 3500 lumens

So theoretically, both lights will throw just about the same to .25lux, but where does the difference of 1300 lumens go, to the spill of the RC40?

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, you could have differences in the hot spots, coronas and spill, in any proportion.

I'd be surprised if say ALL went to spill, as the spill is only the light that misses being focused...and its more likely that the extra 1,300 L went primarily into the SIZE of the hot spot and/or corona.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'd be surprised if say ALL went to spill, as the spill is only the light that misses being focused...and its more likely that the extra 1,300 L went primarily into the SIZE of the hot spot and/or corona.

Exactly! The TK70 has more in common with my SR90 beam profile than it does the RC40. The hotspot appears about 50% larger from the RC40 but with the same peak lux.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly! The TK70 has more in common with my SR90 beam profile than it does the RC40. The hotspot appears about 50% larger from the RC40 but with the same peak lux.

Looking at the increase of 1,300 lumens spread over a wide area in the RC40's hotspot seems, to me, not a substantial upgrade from a TK70. Oh well, maybe I'll wait for another 1,300 lumen additional increase.

Taking into consideration the current RC40's price, it's kind of stiff, as it is about the total of a TK70 AND TK75 combined price!

Last edited:

lintonindy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the hotspot on the rc40 is pretty darn big, especially compared to lights like the olight sr-series. Here is a good video I found comparing several lights (including rc40) at around 100m:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnrmuWcwzbM

2 posts above you is the maker of that video LOL. Thanks patriot for all of your reviews and videos on these high powered lights. I haven't bought any you have reviewed but it has helped push me to the TN31mb which is what I was looking for as far as throw. I think the TM26 might be next on the list. Thanks again!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you measure the TK70 at 3 meters, its too close for beam convergence, and you'll get a low cd number.

Also, remember that the ANSI ratings are based on only THREE total samples, and that LEDs range in performance as much as +/- 15%.

So, if one of us takes ONE measurement, of one light, statistically, its less likely to represent the entire model line except by chance.

A +/-15% range is therefore a way to ball park the performance, so that if a light is supposed to be 8,000 lumens, and we get 4,000 L, we can be pretty sure its not due to random batch variations...but if we get 6,800 L, or 9,200 L, we might figue that the claimed 8,000 L could be reasonable.

That means your TK70 might be in spec, or low, or high, and, so could your RC40, etc. It doesn't mean some other guy's version of your light puts out the same as yours does. Sometimes you get the runt of the litter, and some times you get the pick of the litter, etc.

:D

At Photon Fest 18 for example, my TK70 measured ~ 2,800 L, over spec, but, some others measured were on the lower side, etc. You just need to see it as YOUR light's specs vs the MODEL's specs.

:D

DENGOH

Newly Enlightened
My TK70 output is not obviously low, very close to S6330 and my other light. So I estimated her output is about or above 2200lm as advertised. Now just the peak intensity is in question and I read before online quite a few people reported low peak intensity of TK70. 3 meter should be far enough for peak intensity measurement, it depends on the effective diameter of reflector. I will try distance of 6m to see any huge differences. Thanks.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I was hoping to find some good beamshot comparisons between the TK 70 and the RC 40 but only found one person who had any. I guess I deal better in video form. I use the TK 41 and 70 nightly at work and ordered the RC 40 yesterday. I'll either have to sell the RC 40 or the other two lights when I decide which will be more ideal for me. I'm thinking the RC40 will be best, but I know I'll get tired of holding that thing up over my head all night long. That's the main reason I end up switching over to the TK41 after enough hours with the TK70.

It also seems that Fenix has pulled production on the TK70. I don't see it on their website anymore.